PC Mouse Question

I have the Microsoft notebook optical mouse (corded - USB) w/ the scroll wheel. Problem: when I rotate the scoll wheel fast, whatever I'm scrolling has a tendency to "jump" in both directions. For example, in Google Earth, I might try to zoom in several magnifications using the scroll wheel, (which it will do), but then, it'll back off one or two zoom levels - all in the same finger motion. Like there's some kind of "backlash", even though the scroll wheel only rotated in the single direction.

Gee, I hope that made sense.!!! You'd have to witness it. It is quite aggrevating.

I don't understand why it does this? Do you guys think the mouse is just busted?, dirty? or is there a setting someplace that has any bearing on the scroll wheel speed? Or it is just a program thing? Several apps do it (not all), but GE seems to be the worst offender.

They're cheap enough I could just go buy another one to see, but somehow, I "just get the feeling" a replacement is going to do the same thing. I guess, because the mouse seems to work fine in all other respects, and even the scroll wheel works. It just has this annoying quirk.

The MS mouse is marked "Notebook optical mouse" X08-88056 if that helps or matters.

Thanks.

Reply to
mpm

Open it up and see if there is crud or hairs in the encoder. They use open contacts instead of optical in a lot of mice, and they get crap in them from use.

Michael A. Terrell

Many of the microsoft mice have a fairly long and good warranty. I've used them before and MS is surprisingly easy to deal with for stuff like this.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader