PBS America

Just watched a few programs about the A10, Prowler and Growler... Fascinating... In my last job, I was working on military radar jamming (UK) and I thought it was a 'modern' idea. Just goes to show how much you don't know.Didn't know A10s were used to blanket jam IEDs in Iraq... and I worked on IED jammers( vehicles) too and thought they were new.

TTman

TTman wrote in news:pvt1le$atl$1@dont- email.me:

don't

I saw the A-10 cockpit and history at the National Air and Space Museum. They were designed in the '60s. I was amazed at how old the tech looked since they were main Gulf War players and still are. Out of production since 1984. They had lots of upgrades in the last few years of production.

DLUNU

I used to ride my bicycle past Fairchild. They would have the doors for the painting bays open, the A10's could be seen in their green chromate primer.

Now it's all retail space and a parking lot.

Martin Riddle

The A-10 is a popular plane with everyone apparently except the Air Force senior staff who's been trying to get rid of it for about 30 years

Reply to
bitrex

The USAF leadership hates it so much apparently they'll do whatever it takes to get rid of it:

It wins fights. It doesn't have an app and it's not Web 2.0. Doesn't cost enough. Not popular with them I guess

Reply to
bitrex

Meanwhile Microsoft got a ~$500 million contract to develop this thing lol nobody is going to wear this goofy 1980s Sega Genesis-looking helmet in combat:

Reply to
bitrex

That is not even the price of one plane. A drop in the bucket.

Were it not for stealth advances, a respin of that craft would be great.

They could even re-use a lot of the design, like the Titanium bathtub cockpit and avionics protections, and the mechanical failsafe actuators that can be used even in the event of hydraulic failure.

The fact is that 5 drones are cheaper and carry a lot more effective delivery of our message without the risk to personnel.

Reply to
DLUNU

Don't know how well drones do in the close air support role. The A-10's main role after hunting armor on the plains of Europe became less likely was close air support.

In addition to chewing up armor the big gatling gun makes a very effective and relatively cheap way to deal with things like snipers in urban areas, it's about the closest thing to a "surgical" aerial weapon there is.

Reply to
bitrex

et

eat.

A big gatling gun chews up a lot of ammunition quickly. If the bullets are heavy enough to chew up armour, they are a trifle heavier than you need to cope with snipers. They do travel farther than lower-calibre ammunition, bu t "surgical" isn't quite the right word for that kind of strike.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

The first radar systems in WW2 were jammed by both sides.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Obviously not very effectively.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ng

lmet

great.

tub

rs

ve

e heavy enough to chew up armour, they are a trifle heavier than you need t o cope with snipers. They do travel farther than lower-calibre ammunition, but "surgical" isn't quite the right word for that kind of strike.

It's not the caliber but the penetrating capacity and performance that's im portant. The A-10 gun uses DU ammunition. Snipers in urban warfare tend to be in sheltered positions. The DU round makes the concept of sheltered posi tion irrelevant.

Dumb video repeats halfway thru, maybe the average viewer has attention dis order.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

snipped-for-privacy@ieee.org wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

There are several instances where a drone used a hellfire as an anti- personnel device.

It is simple. Start shit with one of these drones watching from overhead, and chances are high that you will eat a high explosive for breakfast.

Reply to
DLUNU

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

There are several types of projectiles used in the A-10 warthog's gatling gun.

The fact is that even in a close support role, once an enemy placement is discovered, they are likely to eat a hellfire as they are a gatling strafe. Drones are used for CAS as well, and in those cases, the enemy never even sees or hears the death coming.

Reply to
DLUNU

Close air support implies that there are your buddies very close to where the baddies are. Firing high explosives near where your buddies are is a risky proposition.

The dummies at around time index 2:30 represent friendly forces or civilians. The vehicle and anyone in it is quite f***ed but I assume they check the dummies for signs of shapnel or injury and they're usually OK.

That's pretty close to be standing next to a Hellfire impact, though, and not have problems

Reply to
bitrex

The gatling gun is a nastier weapon probably, it's not uncommon for crew to survive a guided missile strike on an armored fighting vehicle or transport.

100 rounds of gatling gun rounds that size into a transport the vehicle is swiss-cheeseified. I don't think anyone's going to make it.
Reply to
bitrex

I recall reading the low frequency noise source used to randomly modulate the frequency of the high power carrier for jamming was a either a halogen lamp or tungsten arc lamp feeding CdS cells

Reply to
bitrex

bitrex wrote in news:ZxPUD.75282$ snipped-for-privacy@fx30.iad:

No, dumbass. In the mountains, where they *ARE at, when the Taliban attacks from a position up in those mountains, and our guys spot them, they are NOT anywhere in direct proximity. And that is NOT what close air support means.

DANGER CLOSE strike calls are of that nature.

Close Air Support is called when artillery solutions are not available.

You need to get off the know it all bandwagon, chump, because you don't come anywhere close, even with your googletardedness.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

bitrex wrote in news:VLPUD.127490$ snipped-for-privacy@fx44.iad:

You are an idiot. A hellfire attack on a tank, APC, or other vehicle nearly always results in a 100% kill rate within the vehicle. MAYBE some nearby marching terrorists survive, but NONE in the vehicles.

You really are clueless.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

bitrex wrote in news:VLPUD.127490$ snipped-for-privacy@fx44.iad:

Do you even know how short a 100 round burst is?

Most times only 60 to 80 percent actually strike the target.

And unless incindiary rounds are used, 100% kill rates are not always guaranteed at all.

You have this so ass backwards.

DRONES are cheaper than a man in a cockpit. They linger longer in the battle theater, and operate on less fuel. Counted beans matter.