Parts values on schematic question

Here (UK) spirits are either 25ml or 35ml. 25ml is close to the old sixth of a gill which was standard in England and 35ml is close to a quarter of a gill which was standard in Ireland.

But beer is in pints. Proper pints, not the rather camp US pints. From my cold, dead fingers etc.

Milk is sold in ml, but often as 568ml which is a pint. Groceries otherwise in grammes or kg. Not so long ago in Ireland, and doubtless here too, spuds would be sold in stones, but butter in pounds. Different units for different purposes.

Which is heavier, an ounce of feathers or an ounce of gold? An ounce of gold, because that would use troy ounces whereas feathers would use avoirdupois ounces.

Shoe sizes are in barleycorns, one third of an inch, albeit with an offset.

Other European states have evolved units like 'etti' (100g) in Italy and 'tetarto' (250g) in Greece, but I guess were still new to it all.

And how much does an A4 sheet of standard 80gsm paper weigh? 5g because A0 is one square metre and there are 16 A4 sheets in one A0.

Come on guys, you know it makes sense. Sort of.

Clive
Reply to
Clive Arthur

ic a long time ago.

That explains a lot! I've always seen people get pints or half pints and I thought half a pint, a cup, is not much beer or even orange juice (often s erved in tiny glasses in breakfast restaurants here). But a half pint in G B is 10 ounces which is nearly a 12 oz can of beer here. Now I have much m

ream in 20 oz pints!

t.

So a snail's pace is 1 furlong per fortnight?

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

You seem to do a lot of work for scientists, and you describe yourself as a n engineer. You may be confusing the personal with the professional.

The real problem is that scientists and engineers have different expectatio ns. For a scientist a circuit that works is one that a graduate student can get running, and keep running for the length of a research project.

Ideas like tolerancing, calibration and thermal dissipation limits are unne cessary refinements.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ion)

one.

aper, as it avoids dot deterioration causing errors. Naturally paper data i s less common now, but still in widespread use. It's not a new system. We u se the method on printed paper that is liable to degrade in use. It's much more of an issue in the developing world.

John Larkin doesn't get it. The units of measurement aren't part of the num erical value of the constant being expressed.

c = 299.8M m/sec

But the rareness isn't increasing as fast as it ought to.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

An American pint is very close to 5/6 of an Imperial pint, rather than

3/4 as it would be if the ounces were the same.

There are fewer ounces in American, but each ounce is larger.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

ike

ntion)

done.

paper, as it avoids dot deterioration causing errors. Naturally paper data is less common now, but still in widespread use. It's not a new system. We use the method on printed paper that is liable to degrade in use. It's muc h more of an issue in the developing world.

umerical value of the constant being expressed.

Hey! I stopped using uuF a long time ago and I'm dying as fast as is comfo rtable.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

ave

es

tric a long time ago.

nd I thought half a pint, a cup, is not much beer or even orange juice (oft en served in tiny glasses in breakfast restaurants here). But a half pint in GB is 10 ounces which is nearly a 12 oz can of beer here. Now I have mu

ce cream in 20 oz pints!

You mean 4/5, right?

So you are telling me their half pint is really wimpy? Ok. thanks. Now I know.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Yes, well, the 5% is within experimental error. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

and I thought half a pint, a cup, is not much beer or even orange juice (o ften served in tiny glasses in breakfast restaurants here). But a half pin t in GB is 10 ounces which is nearly a 12 oz can of beer here. Now I have

ice cream in 20 oz pints!

Lol I guess it's time to experiment.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

e:

l.

have

So

toes

metric a long time ago.

rom

and I thought half a pint, a cup, is not much beer or even orange juice (o ften served in tiny glasses in breakfast restaurants here). But a half pin t in GB is 10 ounces which is nearly a 12 oz can of beer here. Now I have

ice cream in 20 oz pints!

And the experimental errors get larger if you drink more of either kind of pint, though US beer also tends to short change you on ethyl alcohol conten t as well.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

e:

ote:

ial.

rd have

. So

tatoes

t metric a long time ago.

ld

From

ts and I thought half a pint, a cup, is not much beer or even orange juice (often served in tiny glasses in breakfast restaurants here). But a half p int in GB is 10 ounces which is nearly a 12 oz can of beer here. Now I hav

ir ice cream in 20 oz pints!

an

f pint, though US beer also tends to short change you on ethyl alcohol cont ent as well.

Oh? What's the content of UK beers? Or are you suggesting they make it up with other types of alcohol?

I've always thought it odd that people can be so particular about the taste of the beer, wine or distilled beverage they imbibe, but if it is tainted with something like methanol it can't be tasted.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Or simply look at the ml declarations.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Vishay Y1625601R000B0W.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

I bet you love inductor markings (4.7uH => "4R7").

Reply to
krw

But will cost 4x more.

Reply to
krw

I just ran across a 12uH inductor today that was marked "120" and the one in the next bin was 12.5uH and marked "125". These were not 1% inductors. Amazingly, the 6.8uH part in the same series was marked "6R8".

It's useful to limit the number of digits printed by encoding the engineering notation multiplier where the decimal point would be.

Reply to
krw

Some, not all, of our surface-mount resistors are marked, according to various schemes. Small (like 0805 and 0603) inductors and capacitors are never marked.

I've always wondered why small caps are not marked.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Do you actually *TRY* to be wrong, AlwaysWrong? You really are a moron.

Reply to
krw

Anybody silly enough to hire krw may well have hired other people with similar kind of intellectual disability.

It's good to give these people work, but you do need to be selective about the kind of work you give them.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Because they are too small, and QA labor is not cheap.

0603 is about the practical limit. 0805 really. Anything smaller is not worth marking...

...and as far as debugging goes, it is better to simply replace with the known value and test for operational changes. That way one needs not worry about heat damage on a removed component. Parts of that nature are cheap and it is not really a diagnostic cheat. It is more a diganostic proof.