Paralleling L-C feed-thru filters for increased current capacity

I'm currently working on a power supply which must meet the EMC requirements of def-stan 59-41 land class A. The power supply is housed in and aluminium enclosure with separate chambers for the various sections of the power supply. The initial design which I wasn't involved in uses multiple feed-thru filters connected in parallel when passing connections through the internal bulkheads, the currents involved are around 30A. My gut feeling is that this is a bad idea, partly because they my not share the DC currents evenly, but more of a concern is that connecting them in parallel will create high Q L-C resonant loops detrimentally effecting the EMI filtering.

Has anybody ever successfully paralleled feed-thru filters or should I just try to source larger feed-thru's capable of carrying the full currents involved?

Mark

Reply to
mark

If they're all the same model and make they should have similar DC resistances -- you could check. The inductors will be made with metal wire, whose resistance increases with temperature; if one starts to get hot it'll tend to shed load onto the others.

Many near-identical L-C filters in parallel will make a filter that's a bit broader, but no more highly resonant than one. I think you're safe there.

If it's _really_ a concern, why not test for it?

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott