panelized PCB

Here's a matrix of tiny PCBs. The array will be assembled, then snipped apart, and the little boards will be hand soldered as surface-mount components onto a bigger PCB. There are glob-topped BGA GanFets on this, and if they blow up the baby board can be replaced. They would be a nightmare to rework on the main board.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

How do you heat sink them?

Reply to
Steve Wilson

The boards are 32 mils thick, 2 oz copper. They get some heat sinking through the solder joints to the main board power planes, and there will be a silicone gap-pad between the baby boards and a water-cooled aluminum baseplate.

The chip-scale EPC Gan fets are scary. They are so small that it's hard to get enough copper into them to conduct the heat away. And it's tough to etch really fine features into 2 oz copper. The EPC rep says that they will never offer a packaged part.

This is our second try. We had etching problems first version, about

20% PCB assembly yield.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I fear these will go the same route as fast PNP's. Few designers will be interested in tackling the heat sink problems and problems with fracture.

Sales will not support the cost of the devices. They will stop making them.

If they made a packaged part, things might be different.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Not packaging must make the parts really cheap to make. They can scribe a wafer into hundreds of thousands of parts ready to sell.

Their market is small, high-frequency, high power switching power supplies, not low volume stuff like our products. I don't think the high volume manufacturers mind assembling stuff like this. Some cell phone parts are 0.2 mm pitch.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

The only thing I understand about that is the cork? What is that machine?

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

looks like a nibbler, that black steel hook descends between the aluminium rails taking a chomp out of anything that gets in its way.

That's not a cork. its a sintered bronze air silencer.

eg:

     ?
Reply to
Jasen Betts

It's nose picker, size large.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

OK, thank you!

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

Its a de-paneler

Reply to
Wilson

Nah, there are too many SMPS applications where those are the bee's knees.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

7 mils is large; 3 mils methinks is closer to repeatable PCB fab limit.
Reply to
Robert Baer

I think he means the pin pitch on the parts. But even that shouldn't be a big deal for anyone as they are using much smaller passive parts than 0.2mm pitch. Very few IC parts are actually 0.2 mm pitch while 0.4 mm pitch is quite common.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit