Outdoor DC power connector 50V/10A, 2-contact

Hello Everyone,

Looking for a DC connector that can take up to 50V and up to 10A. Two contacts, water- and weather-proof. One male bulkhead in the unit and then one female plug for the two wires. Should be

Reply to
Joerg

Check Auto (aka O'Reilly)? ...Jim Thompson

Make that "Checker" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Here are MC4's retail for your asking price ($9.98 for two pairs)

That could lead to some nasty electrolytic corrosion if there is voltage on it from other panels.

10A is not very much.. maybe something automotive with a boot?

No idea if these can be purchased in non-OEM quantities.

There's also Tyco, Delphi and some Japanese suppliers.

One nice thing is that Mouser carries (and stocks) some of the Delphi products.

It would be nice to find an application for these hefty 120A single pole guys:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

OK a crazy idea... how about auto/truck trailer hitch connectors.. Four pins in a rubber sheath, the 50V part is 'out of spec.' but it might work just fine. You could wire up two in parallel.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Yeah that's what I thought! I can go buy a trailer hook up pair for ~$10 (I need to go buy some soon.)

George H.

mphe-S...

"The Journey is the reward"

eff.com

Reply to
George Herold

My concern is getting sued. The idea behind making money is to keep it. You can write all the legalize in a contract to keep liabilities at bay, but a contract won't stop a lawsuit.

I'd go with the Molex connectors used in cars. They have a waterproof series. If it doesn't meet your project price target, lose the contract. If you're not walking away from some contracts, you are doing something wrong.

Isn't 48VDC the magic limit for doing what you want with DC outdoors? At some point, everything needs to be to code.

I was going to suggest 4 pin canon connectors. These are used often for batteries. You get 5A a pin and you parallel them. These 4 pin canons are used on TV ENG trucks since the connectors won't just fall out. However, I never saw a waterproof canon connector.

Reply to
miso

If you are running any reasonable volumes. ask for gray IEC 60309 :-)

Reply to
upsidedown

Reply to
Rich Webb

neutrik speakon or powercon maybe?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Thanks, Spehro. I'll have to contact them because (so far) I have never seen anything like this panel mount for the male part. We would have to, no dangling wires allowed on the unit.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Not crazy at all, that what I looked at. But ... the American ones are nice and small and cheap but cannot be panel-mounted. The European ones can be neatly mounted into a bumper (or panel) but are huge, unwieldy and expensive.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

So what are we going to do? Crawl into a cave and never design any products? :-)

Haven't seen anything at Molex yet, maybe I should look again.

Yes, the panel isn't going above that voltage. It is designed to be used outdoors. But the connectors for those are ugly, expensive and can be mixed up.

I didn't either, hence my post :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Perilex? Those are a tad big and not waterproof :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Aha, thanks! Now we are getting somewhere.

Seems we'll need Maxi-Con and Digikey only carries 7-pin and up, but I am sure I'll find these elsewhere. The one downside is a fairly low mate/unmate cycle number (only 300).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The Neutrik Speakon doesn't look particularly weatherproof:

Powercon looks more promising and I like the 5000 mate/unmate cycles, have to check how far IP65 and all that goes:

Mouser carries Neutrik, in case anyone else is interested. Thanks, Lasse.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

be

Hmm I've seen pickup trucks that look to have a panel mount trailer plug on or near the back bumper. I've not looked at any of them closely. George H.

Reply to
George Herold

That's usually just a bracket which holds the connector and is bolted down to something. Pretty crude but at least the thing doesn't drag through the mud if you are on unpaved roads.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Look at West Marine, or other marine suppliers. A "Trolling motor" connector might be suitable.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb (at) telus.net

Basically if something looks dicey, you don't do it. On par with getting your ass sued is a device failing in the field. It generates ill will with the customer, and they don't come back.

For example, I heard of some company that had a component manufacturer fail to deliver parts on time, and said company has been dissing' the manufacturer on usenet for years. Even though the manufacturer has sales exceeding two billion dollars, said company claims the manufacturer never delivers parts. ;-)

I didn't mention this, but I use canons for home brew power connections all the time. It is a solid connection. I use the 3 pin connectors since I know what I am doing. That of course would be a disaster in the field since many low level signals go over 3 pin canons, hence the use of 4 pin canons for power.

Reply to
miso