Out of Battery Power screws up Quicktime Video Recording: Nikon Coolpix L4 Photo/Video Camera

Hello,

Today there was a pretty heavy thunder/rain storm.

I decided to film it, and to try and catch a lightning rod in action on camera !

I life in an appartment next to another building that is often hit by lightning rods.

Just as I placed the camera near the open window and walked away a lightning rod struck just meters away from me I think...

I thought wow... gotta look at the playback later on ! ;)

I left the camera running and recording as much as possible from the storm as possible.

I got a little bit wet and then I had to close the window... then I let it run onwards.

Until the battery ran out which was after a couple of minutes...

I thought... oh to bad.. but ok I get the best parts...

Then as I replaced the batteries I noticed the camera froze when trying to playback.

The "camera's operating system" complete froze...

I was scared that the movie was lost...

But examening it in windows via usb cable shows the movie is still there on the flash card.

It's an apple quicktime movie... a format which always has problems on PC's as well as Mac's and I don't understand why it's used at all.

It's not even open source ?!? And it produces crappy quality as well at least on the nikon but that might be a camera issue...

Anyway trying to play back the *.mov on the pc results in nothing.

The file cannot be opened because it is not recgonized ?!

This sux bad ! There is 100 MB of recording but none of it can be played ?!

Why the f*ck is that ?!? Weird/bad !

Conclusion: apple's quicktime is not suited for digital camera's where batteries could run out at any moment.

Only removing the batteries resetted the operating system of the camera thank god for that ! ;)

So far I have tried the following programs on Windows XP x64:

VirtualDub VirtualDubMod Quicktime Player VLC Media Player MKV Player Nero Show Time

Possibily otherwise with little luck. I am now starting the Mac OS X operating system in a virtual machine...

Maybe it has a better player... I doubt it though ;)

Also there seem to be some mac quicktime repair tools out there.

Sucks that I now have to spent so much time trying to get this video working !

BAH.

Can we all please dumb this ridicilously bad format as a world ?!

Thank you !

And have a nice day because I am not having a nice day at the moment ! ;) :) because of this shit !

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

"The movie could not be opened"

It says on the Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.8 JaS ;)

So much for that now I try a couple of those quicktime repair tools for the mac ;)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Hmm not all hope is lost.

I just found this quicktime file format specification:

If necessary I might investigate with my programming skills ;) :)

LOL.

So far I haven't found any repair tool yet, most links are dead.

Gonna try some converters maybe that gonna work...

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

That's nothing; I hang out on sci.electronics.design and we are often hit by nimrods. PS: A lightning rod is a metal rod that's part of a building.... If you live in a building that is hit by lightning rods, you have big problems.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1

Ok,

So far a little bit of luck:

This tool is for windows and it allows to view the quicktime file/format in a more readable form...

Now I can compare it to other mov files... and so far... for the corrupted file it only shows:

pnot, pict, mdat.

While for other movies it would show:

pnot, pict, mdat, moov.

So at first glance it seems like the corrupted file lost the moov content.

But maybe it's still there ?

Hmm.

Quicktime also seems to be quite a complex file format... so I have little hope for now...

^ It seems to heavily depend on headers stored at the front of the file (containing indexes, counters, offsets) ?

If those are lost then all is lost ? Hmm...

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

(quicktime file format, first impression:)

Significant difference in headers between two good mov files seem to start with the "stss" atom.

Main problem is with the "Sync Sample Table".

These will probably have different sizes for different movies.

This will make it a bit harder to guess where the actually movie data starts... if I am to attempt a reconstruction of the headers with best guesses ;)

I can imagine a program that quickly tries out all kinds of possibilities where the user will have to pay attention to when it's a bingo and a good image comes out...

Even better would be a program/repair tool which saves the first image of each try to the harddisk... with the header information that was used.

This way with window's icon view it should be possible to quickly figure out which image is good and has good header information to then quickly do a repair attempt with those settings and a full movie playback.

Further similiar problems are with "stsz" atom. "Sample Size Table".

This will make it more complex to try and repair...

This also seems to use sizes which will be even more difficult to guess ;) Except maybe if the file does contain this data it might be easier to guess.

It's kinda strange that this viewer doesn't recgonize any moov data... maybe it just needs a signature to be placed there ? Hmm... I will have to look into that a bit later on...

Then the same kind of problem is with the "Chunk Offset Table".

These three tables will have a different number of entries for each mov file... (thus a different table size) these tables seem to be located at the start of the file.

Guessing the number of entries for these tables might get a bit tricky... also guessing the offsets might become a bit tricky.

However there is also seems to be a "udta" "User Data" section at the end of the file. (actually not end of file... but end of header ;) See below ;))

This seems to be a place where the manufacturer of the file can place it's signature.

It seems to say something like:

"Digital Camera...=... some more crap followed by: "NIKON DIGITAL CAMERA".

This seems to be the same for both good movie files so this could be a nice marker to find the end of the file...

Or at least give a possibility to work backwards from the end.

Another idea could be to simply search and try to find images or any other compressed data and try to extract this image by image... by simply trying out all offsets.

To be able to do this I need more information than the atom viewer is currently providing.

But the atom viewer does give me a chance to simply go to such an offset and attempt to decode it or so...

Or maybe stuff it through some kind of windows decoder... to see how that works out.

So not all hope is lost... technically it might be possible.

Question is... is there actually any image content in the file ;)

Time to start up Skybuck's homemade File Viewer ;) :) (unreleased ;))

Actually now that I view it with Skybucks Viewer there is no signature to be found at the end of the file which is logical...

Because the signature is not at the end of the file format specification lol ! Dumb me lol.

It's at the end of the header... Which in itself is kinda interesting too...

So now I travel back to the start of file to see if I can find it ?! ;)

But maybe this camera only stores it there once it's done recording but I will see anyway... ;)

There is no search functionality yet... actually I made this tool for 64 bit support.

So instead because the file is only 100 MB I am gonna use textpad to view it binary... maybe textpad can find this signature ;) First have to copy file and rename it to *.bin so it opens it in hex mode.

Actually looking at it in textmode did reveal some stuff too..

Ok so far I see "NIKO" but not "NIKON".

This could be a left over of previous data...

I am starting to see what the problem could be.

The problem could be that the header is only written at the end of the recording ?!?!?

But that doesn't seem to make much sense...

Also how would this video file reserve space for such large headers ?!

Doesn't seem to make much sense to me...

Maybe the atom viewer is fooling me... and the data is maybe coming from across the file...

I'll have to read the file specification to know for sure...

Actually that's not necessary... the atom viewer shows the offset/location where the data is coming from at the start.

Example: pnot is located somewhere at offset hex 0 pict is located somewhere at offset hex 10 (bit later on probably it's not super accurate) mdat is located somewhere at offset hex A70 moov is located somewhere at offset hex EC68D0 udta is located somewhere at offset hex ECB230

In decimal this is:

15.512.112

Which is no where near the end and also not really at the start unless the header is actually 15 MB big ?!?

No way it could be 15 MB unless maybe this is "reserved space ?"

Hard to tell if this is reserved space... could be garbage that's just skipped over...

If it is reserved space it should have been cleared first or so for better compression later on... but ok... clearing costs time...

I would be amazed if that is reserved space... because that's pretty wastefull ?! ;)

Well so far lot's and lot's and lot's of speculations.

This post could be full with errors so don't rely on it people.

This just my first impression of things ;)

Bye, Skybuck =D

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Further interesting information to read:

MP4 format based on Quicktime format.

This doc says apperently all video and audio data stored in MDAT atom...

If so then I wonder wha the moov atom is... oh I see this is the meta data section...

Maybe I don't need the meta data section and could attempt to decode some mdat stuff:

Since the mdat stuff is available in the corrupted file... cool ! ;)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Ok,

Very cool program it's working inside the virtual machine.

It does like 3 to 5 pictures per second or so...

(Turns out the video consists out of jpegs, this explains the bad quality... every picture has jpeg artifacts.. apperently the digital camera is just taking jpeg pictures in quick succession (?)

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

I'll venture to guess that the movie file is corrupted since it didn't close properly. Use ffmpeg to convert QT to MPEG1.

Reply to
qrk

Try VLC Media player.

Reply to