OT: Youtube via AT&T, anyone else have problems?

Hello Folks,

My ISP is AT&T. Since a few months Youtube has become difficult to impossible to use. More than half of the videos will not start, the data traffic slows to a crawl and then stops. I noticed that I haven't seen any Youtube videos with ads lately so maybe that's the reason? Anyone have insights if they are blocking stuff?

Needless to say, AT&T said they are unaware of anything like that and Youtube doesn't even have a decent contact link.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

YouTube is for kiddies ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Nope. It has some tech stuff on there. Also, I like to watch mountain bike lessons, to learn new tricks and also about maintenance. I am pretty new to the world of full suspension bikes. Those are fairly complicated machines. For example, the only way to really understand the PM on an oil-filled suspension fork is to watch someone doing this kind of maintenance. Hold it the wrong way at the wrong time and you have a major clean-up job at hand in the garage.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

AT&T? Is that cable, DSL, or dial-up?

I'll admit, I have watched some carpentry and craftsman lessons on YouTube :-] ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

It's DSL. I just upgraded from 1.5MBit/sec to 6MBit/sec, pretty much the millisecond it became available. Costs $49/mo and for that much money I expect not to be content-censored. But I am not sure yet if it is really AT&T or whether Youtube became less reliable. Hence my post.

I do a lot of online meetings these days (GoToMeeting) and for that the upgraded speed is really helpful.

I did on Saturday. Wasn't sure how to pry a broken roller out of a 40+ year old screen door, didn't want to risk breaking something that can't easily be mended. Went on Youtube, watched a guy demonstrate the procedure -> worked -> door rolls again -> SWMBO happy.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Den mandag den 16. juni 2014 23.39.34 UTC+2 skrev Jim Thompson:

sure there is lots of kittens and other pointless fluff, but there is also lots and lots of very interesting technical stuff by smart people

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Run a speed check?

 Click to see the full signature

No, but when I download big PDF files I get north of 400kbyte/sec so it may not be quite the 6Mbit/sec they promised but close. Also, it already happened when I was still in 1.5Mbit/sec DSL. All of a sudden many Youtube videos would no longer start. From the ones that do start none has any ads in there and that's a bit suspicious. In the good old days when Youtube still worked more than half had ads, now none.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Try talking to anyone with authority at Google. ;-)

Two suggestions. One, read these hacks:

Two, get some hacker software and just download the youtube content instead of streaming.

I can't vouch for HeldenViewer on windows. It works fine on Linux. It also gets rid of those pop up ads that youtube puts over the video.

Check your Linux repo before screwing with the source.

Reply to
miso

Tried turning off hardware accel on Flash? Right click on the video, Settings. This fixed mine, some :-)

Reply to
jmilford

Tried turning off hardware accel on Flash? Right click on the video, Settings. This fixed mine, some :-)

Sorry about the double post... stupid G groups and indent!

Reply to
jmilford

I had a similar problem last year. Try

The problem lasted for six months then cleared up by it self.

Reply to
Rick

ROFL! That was a good one :-)

I did try the VPN route in the past once but it didn't help. It's a bit much of a kludge as well because you either have to pay for such an extra service of mooch it off of someone which I don't like to do.

I don't have Linux.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Didn't for me :-(

It's weird. For example, this one from somebody filming a trail ride only worked after trying umpteen reloads:

While this one works right away:

(It's a mountain bike trail I use a lot)

And this one will not start, no matter what, was never able to see it:

No worries :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

First, try a different ISP, can you take one of your devices somewhere else and confirm it as good.

Are you messing with domain name resolution in any way? Do you score well on speedtest.net

Can you prove it's not your router?

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

Is it just Youtube or any streaming media. My UK network connection went pearshaped after a modem firmware update recently. It turned out for reasons that I cannot fathom that disabling the modems Windows plug & play discovery feature fixed the instability on the ADSL link.

Try other media streaming locations like Amazon or BBC to see if it is a transport layer problem or physical link reliablity.

Does your modem give any useful stats?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

It is also much bigger. One guess is that your AV is getting in the way and screwing up the transport stream somehow. They all work here.

Try BBC and see if their streaming will work for you.

Check modem settings for unusual changes...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Some really big ones work fine. My impression is that it may be the ones with localized ads in there that get the axe. Because they suddenly all disappeared, the vidoes that still play are all sans ads.

Tried ... "BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only" :-(

My modem doesn't have any settings, its a plain vanilla DSL deal.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Not really, because this is a desktop PC and there are no other ISPs available here. But I did notice that while on the road some Youtube videos played on my netbook and when I used the same netbook here they did not.

Nope. And they all come from Youtube, same domain.

That site gives some weird warnings. But I know speed is ok because yesterday I had to download a new CAD viewer software and it happened at full bore.

Why should it be the router if some videos from the same domain work and others not? It can't know the difference.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, only Youtube. So I have resorted to finding technology or mountain biking videos elsewhere. For example, everything on Vimeo always runs fine. Same for media sites unless they block US viewers for some reason.

My modem doesn't have much in terms of setting. It's the one that was supplied by my ISP about 12 years ago. Works fine.

BBC nowadays blocks non-UK viewers a lot. But other sites never showed any problems, it's just Youtube that does. Unfortunately that is the default site people use to upload their stuff, such as showing a mountain bike trail they just discovered.

It won't. All I can eyeball is data traffic volume and with some Youtube videos that lately starts out high but within a second or so slows to a crawl and then traffic completely stops. Only with Youtube. Interestingly, none of the Youtube videos that still work (at full link speed) has localized ads. Up until Youtube worked well about 50% had ads. So maybe it's just those that get blocked for some reason. Hard to tell, because I can never see them.