OT: X10 wall switch module turns itself on

Has anyone had that happen? An X10 wall switch module(WS467, with the dimmer in there) turns itself on several times an hour. Very annoying. AFAIR they have no local-on wiggler scheme in there but not sure. I turned all potential noise sources in the lab and the office off, still the same.

Any hints? Which X10 codes are the most noise-proof?

Sorry to post here but thanks to the #%&@!! paranoia with alt.* groups the alt.home.automation group which my ISP still carries is now dead in the water.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I'd almost bet that the local "on-off-on" cue is in all of the lighting modules. If the light that the module controls doesn't also turn *off* by itself, I would suspect that it's not stray or spurious X10 codes.

Here are a couple of links with pointers to how to disable the local control sensing:

Of course, the reduction in bandwidth and storage requirements had

*nothing* to do with it. Nope, no sir, not a thing.
--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Hmm, weird. Maybe it does have it although it makes no sense in a wall switch module. There are two 60W bulbs attached so I wonder why it would think something had been wiggled.

These modules are different but I'll give it a shot over the weekend. I'll see if local-on is in there and then disable it. Thanks.

It's a non-binary group with rather miniscule data volume. One movie on YouTube is probably more volume than a whole year of posts.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I had to install an ac line filter on my computer to keep its noise currents from falsely triggering my X10 stuff.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

Just looked at the schematic:

It doesn't have local on. Dang! Would have been too easy. I couldn't imagine they put it in for nothing. And now the switch won't turn it off anyone. Guess it died :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

On the plus side, that looks like a very interesting web site!

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Truth. Still, it's probably easier just to dump all of alt.* (and its associated load) than to cherry pick. Selective filtering of the hierarchy could also open them up to legal problems (IANAL) if they move from "common carrier" status to "publisher."

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Strange thing is my ISP (AT&T) dumped a.b.s.e. but kept alt.lasers (I'd really miss that) and alt.home.automation plus lots of others. However, I understand that other ISPs did a blanket dump :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

On the minus side the X10 protocol is the pits and there are no common wall switch modules that are able to switch CFL. All the old dimmer style. Maybe I can repair it tomorrow unless the pool capsizes again. Another wildfire seems to be smoking up the air now and that'll be algae time again.

But whether I want to invest anymore into this X10 I don't know. If I were retired I'd take a bag full of PSoCs and build some real powerline comm stuff.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Power line glitches kill those X-10s super easily. A buddy had that problem.

Installing a surge suppressor makes 'em last forever. Not sure what type he used, varistors or TVS.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
James Arthur

Been there. I "fixed" mine by adding a cap across h-n on a receptacle on the same branch circuit. Bought one of those small cheap surge supressors and replaced the MOV with a .22 uf, as I recall. Mine was triggering on noise from one of those outdoor motion sensor lights.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

However, that seriously attenuates the X10 signal itself. I just removed and opened this wall switch module. Says WS467 on there but it has a lot more stuff in there than on the usual schematics. Huge choke, two RF filters instead of one. Very puzzling.