OT: Wow! Reason returns to law and order...

OT: Wow! Reason returns to law and order...

(I only set off smoke bombs when I was in middle school, 1952-1955; principal confiscated my supply, returned them to me at the end of the day, and told me never to do it again, or else. Nice guy... named William Boyd... we called him Hopalong ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I had to delete the tab quickly, but possibly not before it debited my monthly Washington Compost ration card.

Those tinyurls--can't see where you're going, can't trust 'em.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

From what I read so far on Gorsuch, he seems to be a genuine Human being. I hope he gets the Supreme Court seat.

Cheer

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Sounds like an extreme response; usually the only times the police were called when I was in school was when someone found a gun in a locker, or drug offenses, or severe assaults

Reply to
bitrex

Sure, but, the law breakers don't want someone like that.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

What browser are you using? I'm seeing no such problem. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Me too! My kind of guy... rational.

I've always kidded my wife that the reason our sons survived their child-hood pranks was because when she wanted to kill them I was laughing... and keeping to myself the pranks I played ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I never saw a cop in school until high school -- when there was a brief period when it was apparently "fashionable" to call in bomb scares. Then, the canines would be called in to walk the premises... (while we were warehoused in the gymnasium, cafeteria and auditorium)

When it happens once, it's cause for some misplaced cheer: "Yay! We just got out of English!!"

When it happens four times IN A DAY, even the students get pissy about it!

Apparently, police are now a common sight in many schools. Apparently, teachers losing control of their classrooms. Students more obnoxious? Teachers less assertive?

Reply to
Don Y

Maybe kids aren't really any better or worse than normal, but someone thought it might be a good idea to get them used to the military-industrial complex using their billion-dollar budgets to breathe down their neck every second of the day very early?

Reply to
bitrex

Also, I think the distancing effect of "social media" technology might tend to make kids more obnoxious and not cognizant of the consequences of their own actions, to tend to want to get all the benefits of a society while avoiding the responsibilities.

And philosophers have written books about it:

I definitely wouldn't mourn the demise of Facebook. Or Twitter. ;-)

Reply to
bitrex

My favorite bit is at the end of his opinion:

"Often enough the law can be ?a ass ? a idiot,? C harles Dickens, Oliver Twist 520 (Dodd, Mead & Co. 1941) (1838) ? a nd there is little we judges can do about it, for it is (or should be) emph atically our job to apply, not rewrite, the law enacted by the people? ?s representatives."

That's probably enough to enrage the extreme Lefties right there.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Only for the reason that Conservative judges are perfectly happy to presume to hold the moral high ground and then pretty much do whatever they want when their own interests are at stake.

It's sort of the "Moral Majority"'s MO

Reply to
bitrex

Fundamentals... punishment is not allowed. That's why charter schools are quickly taking over from "public" schools in Arizona. Screw around and you get expelled. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Indeed >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

There never was *cause* for cops on campus. Principal or teacher would handle discipline. "Punishment" was never anything more than suspension (which was considered "a big deal") or "detention" (which was just an annoyance).

Peer pressure was the primary intimidator.

Reply to
Don Y

Who's the bigger idiot? The idiotic law or the idiot who follows it?

Reply to
bitrex

If you don't like the law, work to have it changed.

But, selectively following laws because you think them "inappropriate" lies the way of anarchy.

Should I have to come to a complete stop when I approach a 4-way stop at 3AM and there are no cars in evidence for a mile or more in ALL DIRECTIONS?

Ans: Yes.

Reply to
Don Y

A society where some group or other gets the laws written just the way they like 'em, and then every legal body enforces the letter of the law with clockwork precision is not a free society, it's called a fascist state, dude.

Reply to
bitrex

Charles Dickens, Oliver Twist 520 (Dodd, Mead & Co. 1941) (1838) ? and there is little we judges can do about it, for it is (or should be) em phatically our job to apply, not rewrite, the law enacted by the people? ??s representatives."

Not mention the extreme righties, who keep on rewriting abortion law, and s eeing their amendments getting thrown out by the courts. The last case of t hat I recall would have been in Texas.

Extremists don't write good laws.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

But say the laws were written so that you can only change them if they're not followed like clockwork, but every legal body follows them like clockwork.

That's kinda the goal, you might say.

Reply to
bitrex