OT: Winmail.dat attachments in non-MS email software?

As many know, Microsoft has blundered with their attachments. Some exchange servers send attachments in a proprietary TNEF format. Tried some tools, inluding a plug-in called LookOut for Thunderbird. No dice, remains undecipherable. Has anyone figured out a deciphering method that really works?

Supposedly this TNEF isn't even compatible with their own (!) Outlook Express. Sounds like a near perfect shot in the foot to me.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

have you tries the ones listed here?

Martin Riddle

Outhouse Excuse?

Can you send me such an attachment and I'll take a look. ...Jim Thompson

Last time I had to do this (a few years ago), I downloaded a little freeware program that worked like a charm. It was stand-alone... you save the attachment then open it with the decoding program.

If it's not a really sensitive file, there's even a webpage that does it for you:

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Thanks for the lead... fentun works great! ...Jim Thompson

Maybe yes, maybe not ... So far Microsoft has being extremely successful shooting other people's feet.

-- Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group, return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

Thanks, Martin, I didn't know Fentun ran under XP. The other stuff is too clumsy, I don't want to install and compile this, that and the other thing just to read a file.

Some stuff such as LookOut plain did not work. Doesn't do a thing here.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Then I'd get shot :-)

But I'll try Fentun.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I saw that but my agreement almost specifies the gauge of the bullet that will be used if I ... :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Except in Europe where the bullet ricocheted in a court room and came whizzing back at them.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

For OS X in Mac's, there's a program called TNEF's Enough.

You're right, TNEF is a PITA.

--

Tauno Voipio
Reply to

So I tried Fentun. It no work. Maybe it expects *.tnf files. Anyhow, mine come as winmail.dat and although when storing it the file size is listed as about 1,400kB Fentun says it's zero and nothing gets extracted.

Hurumph ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

What file extension did you feed it? *.dat? It won't eat those here.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

ESTO ?:-)

In Eudora, I right-clicked on winmail.dat, and selected "Open with", then fentun. Gave me a choice of extracting right there or a "Save as"... super, because I have a few nutcases that insist on using Outlook.

If you read the instructions, you'll note, if winmail.dat is just a repeat of the body text, nothing is shown... if you read the instructions, that is ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I did read those. Again, the stored winmail.dat file shows a size of

1.4MB while, when clicking on the same file in the email attachment, Fentun says "Untitled Attachment" and 0kB. Whatever might be in that file, Fentun doesn't see it.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

It's a Window's world, I simply right-clicked on the attachment. ...Jim Thompson

You're just lucky, Joerg ;-) I seem to benefit from many of the questions you pose.

When I clicked on an winmail.dat, it popped up, like so...

Then I noticed I have EOLSOFT Winmail Opener...

which works even better (I don't often get winmail attachments, so I forget what tools I already have on hand :-) ...Jim Thompson

Of course if it's much more important than a laundry list they shouldn't be sending it unencrypted from Outlook, but I don't imagine that was your idea.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

You get "Fan Mail" ? ;D

Martin Riddle

Like with that Myriad Viewer :-)

Same here but it no work, the last window lists just one file name with the size zero :-(

Maybe I should try all those programs until one sticks :-)