OT: Win7 Make Desktop Classic ???

OK... The important part... how do I make Win7 the desktop look like it did in WinXP ?:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Win7 lets you select a classic desktop, get rid of the hideous Aero look, and de-consolidate the thingies in the tray at the bottom.

Then install Classic Shell to fix Explorer windows.

Go to your Windoze XP machine. Hit the [PrtScr] key. Nothing will happen. Open the Paint program. Hit V to paste the screen print into Paint. Save the image as a JPG. Copy the JPG to a flash drive. Copy the JPG image from the flash drive to your Win 7 machine. Set the desktop wallpaper to the imported JPG. Your Windoze 7 desktop should look *exactly* like your XP desktop.

Or, you could borrow mine to impress your friends and clients: The idea is to make yourself look busy while intimidating anyone that tries to borrow your machine. (Note: Doesn't work on kids).

If all else fails, install Classic Shell: and try these skins: There are some revisions to the original posting, so please scroll down the page.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 11:27:43 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

It is unimportant because the power of modern computers negates the old "it slows down your system" crap that used to get spewed.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Do you realize what that kind of music does to your brain ?:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I didn't have to install anything for that. Forgot how I exactly did it but I think it was like this:

The whole PC now looks like an NT era computer which is just what I wanted. Of course, assuming Jim has 64-bit Win 7 Pro like I do he'll run into all sorts of other nasty issues soon. Software not working right anymore, weird lockups, and so on. Windows has been greatly dumbed down :-(

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Obamerica :-( ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Or grandkids... they drive me nuts with all their "smart" phone razz-ma-tazz ;-)

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I just converted to a new Dell with W7Pro, and it took about a week to get everything installed and tweaked, looking like XP, but it worked OK. My old 16-bit apps don't work, no great loss. The new Word with the command ribbons takes some getting used to, but it's not really bad.

LT Spice is about 5x faster than on my old HPs. I now have a huge screen, which is cool. The new PADS is good. Lots of ram and terabytes of hdd.

Classic Shell makes Explorer windows much nicer, and restores the uparrow icon, next directory up, and kills the annoying breadcrums.

Now we're going to clone the drives to two other, identical machines, for working at home and in the cabin.

How's the weather down there? It was hot in Truckee, but has suddenly cooled off. Might rain, feels like. I'm up here with a dozen speech pathologists, for Speech Week, and they are noisy. I'm working with ear plugs.

They have to do seminars and get CEU credits, to stay certified. Engineers don't have to do anything, even have a degree, as long as you don't want to be a PE.

Why bother to organize files and folders and projects, when you can have everything in your PC on one screen?

I installed CS and found the default setting to be pretty good. Minor tweaks are then easy.

Same here while that same job took only half a day on the XP machines.

I must use some legacy programs so XP is here to stay. Last know good OS for me.

I bought the i7 processor machine mainly for LTSpice. It only came with Windows 7 and I never imagined Windows 7 is such a pain. Dell also gave a Windows 8.1 license with it but that DVD is at the most useful as a beer coaster.

It's hot and humid. Yesterday it was almost extreme, during 15mi mostly uphill on my mountain bike I went through more than a gallon of water.

Well, we engineers educate ourselves with stuff we know we need. Not where some bureaucrat assigned credits and decides. I absolutely do not like such formal CEU stuff.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I didn't have sound on, but I'm sure it is nothing that a bit of heavy metal won't fix

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 12:10:23 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

The thing is that you do NOT realize what that kind of mental baby bullshit has done to yours. You're worse than Donald Trump.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 12:58:09 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

You sit and do this retarded crap, but piss and moan about some simple drive clonings and the time involved. "I have to design electronics.."

Yeah, with how long you spend doing the simple shit, I'll bet a five hour circuit characterization takes you 5 weeks.

You are a true idiot.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Is there a TweakUI for Win7 ? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Why would I do routine PC stuff when I can hire someone to do it for me? There's nothing interesting about cloning hard drives. I don't vacuum the carpets, either.

I designed this, and did the PCB layout, in a weekend.

We are selling a lot of them. We can't do market research or focus groups or any of that nonsense, which really doesn't work anyhow, so we design lots of products fast and trust that some of them will sell.

Sometimes I think you just have a permanent bad attitude. And you deserve it.

Theres Ultimate windows tweaker, I have not used it. And there are some SysInternals apps that maybe usefull, like the multiple desktops app. Win 10 now has multiple desktops too. BTW, other than the latest Catalyst ATI drivers crashing my system, Win7 can run for days with out a hicupp.

Martin Riddle

Clutter has its uses. For example, when I run out of space for additional icons, I just buy a bigger monitor. However, I'm at 24" diagonal and 1920x1200 dots, so I just added a 2nd video card and a

2nd monitor. Most of the folders and icons on the screen are current work projects or things to do. I get bored easily so a wide selection of projects is very useful.

It's actually not as bad as it looks. The trick to using it is to find the proper icon quickly. Locating the icon by position doesn't work because I like to re-arrange the clutter by icon type, which moves things around. Adding programs also shuffles the deck. So, I use a program called Everything: Type a partial name, and it very quickly lists all the files with similar names. For searching within documents, Agent Ransack:

Agreed. I normally use the default settings. For me, the main benefit is the total elimination of the screen of irritating wiggly icons that Microsoft proclaims to be an improved desktop. If I wanted a tablet, I would have bought a tablet. I consider a desktop that doesn't constantly try to get my attention with irrelevant notifications a necessity.

I couldn't resist experimenting and tweaking. So, I have some rather bizarre schemes and settings saved. I just tried the above "XP Classic Retro" skin. It's not perfect, but vedry close to XP and worth trying.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Not from Microsoft. The closest approximation is the Windoze 7 "God Mode" which allows mere mortals to perform feats of incredible daring to the registry, without so much as a backup or recovery feature. I don't find it particularly useful and quite dangerous if I haven't first done my homework and backups. I guess I should mention that I do quite a bit of damage control (paying) work recovering machines from the effects of such system utilities. In general, they're usually quite useful if they were the only such utility on the machine. Things get very messy when one installed competing and overlapping utilities. As a rule of thumb, don't install anything that runs continuously in the background.

Five Best Windows 7 Tweaking Applications:

If you feel the need to destroy your new computer, I suggest: which looks like it will do much of what TweakUI did in Windoze XP.