OT: Win7, Fit has finally hit the Shan

Win7, Fit has finally hit the Shan

Figures, Adobe Acrobat is requiring activation and the activation server isn't responding... can't have anyone out there using a

10-year-old product, particularly one that hasn't been f**ked up by idiots :-(

What I need is a good PDF product with these features...

(1) PDFwriter (printer), that is appears as a printer so I can print PDF's directly from a schematic capture program.

(2) Ability to annotate PDF's with labels, buttons that jump to another page, etc.

Recommendations?

Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

PDFCreator

PDFXChange

If you want it all in one, PDFArchitect.

Reply to
krw

On Fri, 04 Sep 2015 16:49:59 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Do it from within Linux.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Try stopping the Acrotray, the little icon in the task tray. Then Activate.

It apparently has something to do with the Flexnet license service, that can be set to run in msconfig.

Martin Riddle

PDF-XChange by Tracker Software: The reader and editor are free. The bundle is about $80 total:

Editor has some annotation capabilities (including obnoxious rubber stamp markings) and might be sufficient. I suggest you try it first, see what it does, see what's missing, and decide whether you want to blunder forward into the Pro version, or try something else.

You can have both Adobe Acrobat and PDF-XChange installed at the same time, but you'll have to manually configure which program is associated with which file type. Since Acrobat doesn't work for you now, I suggest you uninstall it and also Adobe Reader, and just run the PDF-XChange stuff.

You might also find something useful in the online manuals:

I'm not sure if PDF-XChange will do that. I don't have time to dig it out of the docs right now.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

This should be a good start for adding links that jump to a page:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

I've been looking for a good Acrobat replacement too. I am mostly using doPDF v7 for printing. I use Foxit Reader for editing. Seems to do all the things Acrobat used to do for me. Foxit also has a printer, but I've been using doPDF as that is what I've been using. I fired up the netbook the other day to finish off some work stuff when my main laptop wasn't working and used Bullzip to print to PDF. Not sure if it is still available without "evil" addins. A year or few ago I was looking for new stuff and had a hard time finding anything that didn't include malware.

Let us know what you pick.

--

Rick
Reply to

Almost forgot. For just reading PDFs I use SumatraPDF. It just works and is very lightweight.

--

Rick
Reply to

I use CC PDF Converter for my pdf printer.

It's what I've been doing for years with Redmon and Ghostscript but packaged so I don't have to deal with install issues.

I don't edit pdf files so I don't know what to use for that. For reading pdf files I use Sumatra PDF.

Reply to
Wanderer

Nitro pro

Reply to
John Smith

I use it too, but you have to be really careful about the bundled malware. That company went evil a long time ago. I use an old known-good installer version (1.2.3), refuse the bundled crap and turn off it's auto-updater. Look very very carefully at the deceptive tickboxes during installation.

(Someone may have more up to date info here. You could look into the ninite.com version; that site is a great resource for windows apps by the way Jim)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Foxit Reader has a pay-for big brother called Foxit Phantom which allows to do all sorts of editing and additions to PDFs. It also intalls a printer driver which actually works. I tend to use Foxit reader for just opening PDFs because its so fast, but then if I need to edit, Phantom is also there.

Reply to
Adrian Jansen

[snip]

Thanks, Adrian. I ran across Foxit while surfing for alternatives. For $89 it looks worth trying. ...Jim Thompson

On Sat, 05 Sep 2015 07:11:46 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Jeez. Drink the stupid kool aid much?

I have a bridge over here I'll sell you.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
[snip]

Does Foxit Phantom also function as a Reader, or would I need both Reader and Phantom? ...Jim Thompson

What sorts of edits do you need to do? I found the reader would let me add text and basic shapes so I could use a government supplied form, white out the parts not useful and fill in the info I needed, all on a basic PDF which was not a form. It also lets you add comments, etc as an editing tool for groups. I recommend you try the Reader and if you like it buy the other version.

I recall being able to manipulate pages in Acrobat (insert, pull into separate docs, etc). I don't recall if Foxit Reader will let you do that.

--

Rick
Reply to

Downloaded Foxit Phantom... works great!

Only function I need to find is converting PostScript to PDF. GSview works but it's sort of klutzy. ...Jim Thompson

Don't you just open the file in any app to view it and then print? I would bet Foxit will read a PS file.

The feature I want is to be able to ignore the bloody protections like "copy text not allowed". Why would anyone put out a data sheet and then

*not* want you to copy any of the data from that sheet???

Just yesterday I tried to copy the payment amount from a PDF bill so I could paste it into the online banking, but they have it copy protected! What the F*** for?

I found I can print to PDF from a PDF, but the entire document turns into an image, but at least not copy protected. :(

--

Rick
Reply to

Print it to an XPS and then with the XPS viewer print it to a PDF ;D

Martin Riddle

I keep forgetting that. I use an old version, from before they started that crap and refuse the updates.

Which site?

Reply to
krw