OT: Wi-Fi Setup?

My take on this is that it's rather misleadingly suggested that the whole thing can be achieved automatically. I think you need to follow the "Setup a new wireless network" route, even though you already have a network established by your Wi-Fi modem.

Once you've done that on one computer, you could use the other method to set it up on other computers that have the same software.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Have this Dell D830 Lattitude Laptop that has built-in Wi-Fi capability, and support software. I put in all of the (correct) WAN, LAN, etc etc codes and follow what (few) instructions exist all of the way to using a thumb drive for linking.

On the other end, i have a Wi-Fi modem and its WAN, LAN, etc etc codes which i also use where appropriate on the laptop.

All of the above is completely documented via screen captures and a few file copies at

*

There are ZERO instructions to complete the transaction. On my modem computer, i log into the modem at http://10.0.0.1/ and fiddle around. It seems to recognize the Dell, but that is it. I had stupidly thought that a Wi-Fi link would allow the laptop to access the internet in an essentially the same manner as use of the Ethernet cable to that same modem.

*** On a different note, the modem sees the following Connected Devices: Off - WIN7 Off - 18wheeler Off - 18wheeler Off - android-e1d9ec0b266485ae Off - android-1fbe4449143aa191 On - win2ksp4 Off - 10.0.0.4 On - android-ae00987c52ea5e24

I would dearly like to DELETE all possible recognition and listing of everything here,with the possible exception of WIN7, win2ksp4, and 10.0.0.4. The best i could do is block everything (except 10.0.0.4), and the result is above; WTH is the android-ae00987c52ea5e24 marked as ON,when it is in the blocked list? And why is 10.0.0.4 off when i did not block it?

Reply to
Robert Baer

Tried the setup new route. Same thumb drive hand shaking that ain't documented.

Crapthing is that anyone with a SmartPhone needs just the SSID and password; 20milliseconds later--> ON THE AIR! No shuttle needed.

Reply to
Robert Baer

How about if you select the "Set up a network manually" option?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Hmm.. Seems i may have been doing things too complicated. If one has a mobile phone and want to use WiFi off one of these VOIP Comcast modems, all one needs is the SSID and the network key; no extra messing around (on the modem) which was the bottleneck. And by gollee gee,doing that for the laptop works perfectly.

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Baer