OT: Why are HDMI cables so expensive

Our DVD player croaked, so ...

Most of the better ones now offer 1080 up-conversion but it seems they are usually missing the HDMI cable. When I looked I was stunned. $40 (!) and up. What is so special about an HDMI cable? Each electron personally recordificated and certificated?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Nah, that's done overseas by people earning 8 cents an hour. The problem is that they can't tell the electrons apart, and keep losing track.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You can find them a lot cheaper on the net. I think I paid about 6 bux for a 4 footer, works fine. Look here: >

I'm sure you can do better even if you look.. Eric

Reply to
Eric

Try computer stores rather than hi-fi/tv places - the prices are 1/3 at least in my part of the world!

Reply to
Den

Actually, when our DVD croaked earlier, I was tempted to get a blu-ray, but since I had just lost my job, the boss couldn't see it. So, we looked, and finally got a Sony at Costco. The final decision maker - came with the HDMI cable!

-- Charlie Edmondson Edmondson Engineering Inc

Charlie E.

Yes, and hand assembled by nude virgins ;->

Shop around, you can get them real cheap, like under $10. Don't buy from the stores. Gullible consumers will pay anything, so prices will remain high in stores.

Heck, even Farnell have them for AU$19 (about US$15):

and Digikey have them for under $14:
?name=WM19083-ND

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

prices are including world wide postage.

Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

USB to 4 Relays. Many other modules available.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/super4-usb-relay-module.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

If it is the same Sony we got, you'll like it too. The cable is a nice bonus...

Reply to
PeterD

Sheeesh, Joerg! I thought you were a black-and-white TV guy who avoided anything modern ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | "Sarah Palin is to the left what sunlight is to a vampire." - Cal Thomas

has them starting at under $10. Some people say they have had problems with the cheap ones. Perhaps they didn't have pure virgin unoxygenated copper manufactured in a north-south orientation whilst soaking in Dortmunder ale.

Reply to
qrk

They're pretty fine pitch (20 pins including the shell in not much space)... so cheap ones may not be very reliable, at least early on until they figure out how to make them well. But $130 US list for a 4' cable is more than a bit pricey.

With all that crap about nitrogen and oxygen you'd think they were analog cables. Actually, I think it's mostly a way that the big box stores can sell major stuff at close to cost and then 'get well' on the accessories. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I dunno. I _do_ know I bought a CyberHome CH_DVD405 DVD player years ago because it has analog 5.1 outputs. Then I did read Hollyworld got pissed with CyberHome because of that build in audio decoder.... Then I bought StarWars III official DVD. And the CyberHome gives a black screen on that one, probably blacklisted in the code somewhere. Put the DVD in the PC (nice new DVD drive), installed 'utility' so I could watch my own DVD.

I do not like to be victim of copy protection wars between Hollyworld and DVD player manufacturers. It seems they (Hollyworld) give no shit about their users. That cable was only invented to pester people more. Anyways, SCART cables were ridiculously expensive too. maybe make your own, that is what I did with SCART,.

So, since that experience, no more standalone DVD players for me, at the most a Blu-Ray for in the PC. Only need the standalone to test if the DVDs I make play on normal players...

PC as media box, that is the cheaper, faster, better way.

Reply to
panteltje

Theyb still look expensive but better. Thanks.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Ah, thanks! Dang, we were at CostCo yesterday. I'll check that out.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Well, this was Walmart ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks, Don. I wonder how they do free shipping on a $10 item.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Nah, we even have DTV now. Which from a reliability problem is the pits. Analog is better. We also got a DVD a year ago or so. Performance-wise the pits as well, the VCR is a lot more reliable. One schmutz and the dang thing stops.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yep, HDMI seems to be a niche standard where you need the right incantations or it won't work. Heck, why didn't they pick something simple? Like, ahm, Ethernet. Nah, they just had to invent something new so it can be called new.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That's like most pubs. Break-even on most meals but the millisecond you order a drink they've got ya.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That's what will make the DVD player search so hard. I want to be able to watch foreign language movies and once I already had it happen. Sopmeone in Europe whom I am very thankful for sent us a DVD, fully paid, not some copy, unavailable in the US because of lack of market. Our DVD player only said "Wrong regional code". That's stupid. So I need a DVD player where that nonsense can be disabled by some trick. Finding out will be a lot of work.

We do not want a PC in the living room. Too big, too noisy.