OT? When Computer Controls Fail

Solar power systems have at least one thing in common with other large-scale power generating systems- they have to handle large amounts of energy in a controlled manner, and when the controls fail bad things happen:

Note that the heliostats are under computer control, and many of them had to have been simultaneously off-target in the SAME WAY to do the indicated damage.

Software glitch? Terrorist hack? That nobody was in the part of the tower that got torched looks to be pure dumb luck. Also, I wonder if hiking in the mountains in the background is restricted?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Motors burned out? Went on strike, ignored the computer's commands?

This design is safer.

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Bwahahahahaha! ROTFLMAO >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Liberalism: Dictatorship By The People Who Think They Know Best

If it measured the sun's elevation wrong, it could aim all the mirrors low.

It concentrates on the tower so the mountains are safe... unless the software messes up again and focusses on a spot in the mountains! Even

10 suns worth of illumination could be nasty.

Ivanpah is a fabulous boondoggle. Even when it's working, it has to burn a lot of natural gas every morning to get going.

In April 2015, "biologists working for the state estimated that 3,500 birds died at Ivanpah in the span of a year, many of them burned alive while flying through a part of the solar installment where air

the Wall Street Journal.[64]

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

If the mirrors simply stop moving at the same time, the moving sun is going to cause the focal point to move while staying pretty well focused.

The article states that this was in the morning. If the sun is moving mostly upwards, the focal point will move mostly downwards.

--
RoRo
Reply to

Measure the sun's elevation?? WTF? It would have to be an extremely dumb design when it derives the sun's elevation from measurement instead of calculation...

Reply to
Rob

Of course if it has no sensors at all, a NTP error could be interesting....

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes you need an accurate clock, but of course in an installation like that it would not be a PC only synced to pool.ntp.org.

And the accuracy requirements are not such that you could have problems from e.g. leap second insertion or latency variation on your link.

I would use one or a couple of GPS referenced clocks combined with some reliable NTP servers on the internet, and an oscillator stable enough that it can free-run for some time (the time required to troubleshoot network and GPS problems).

Reply to
Rob

Won't it also move eastward missing the tower? A critical sensor broke somewhere, so now they discover the concept of single thread failure mechanisms.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Dumb designs happen. Something went wrong. Some news reports say that "some" of the mirrors aimed low; not clear how many.

What's dumb is the entire concept. It cost $2.2 billion, most with federal loan guarantees, and it doesn't work very well. The energy costs roughly 10x what a natural gas plant would, and this power is erratic and far from the loads. It roasts thousands of birds in mid-air every year.

lunatic fringe electronics

Also use some of that readily available bug-free code and failure-free actuators.

Hey, a few failed actuators or power feeds could freeze some mirrors in position. Then wait an hour or two and see what they hit!

I guess you could send out a few hundred guys to tuck fitted sheets over the frozen mirrors. Maybe spraying them with black paint would be more cost-effective.

lunatic fringe electronics

Yes, it will. But depending on how close you are to the equator, the lateral movement may be small enough that it would be possible to hit the mast enough to cause problems.

If you are located directly on the "solar equator", the sun will rise vertically in the east, move directly over your head and set vertically in the west. This site is quite close the equator. It is almost mid summer, so the sun should be fairly close to rising vertically around this time of year.

--
RoRo
Reply to

Let's play Devil's Advocate. It might not be cost effective today, but the technology will presumably develop, and maybe in the decades ahead it could become a viable and advantageous method of power generation. Is 10x so bad for a very early example of a technology?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If the mirrors are frozen just right, it won't miss. There are 175,000 motorized dual mirrors and probably some zoned power distribution.

They should investigate and find the people who didn't think about that failure mode.

Better yet, find the people who conceived and approved this crazy machine.

lunatic fringe electronics

It is very bad. Nobody competent seems to have done the math.

They will probably decommission the monster one of these years.

lunatic fringe electronics

....not to mention inevitable...

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Is it being operated as an operating prototype? If it is, and there's a good flow of suggested design improvements streaming out of it then it might be. If it's just a tire fire/Monument To Largesse/Simpson's Monorail, then no.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

The sun moves enough that the the focal point should have been away from the tower:

Maybe the algorithms running the heliostats properly accounted for declin ation but got the right ascension wrong.

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Alien8752

Just cleaning the mirrors has to cost a fortune.

Reply to
krw

I think he meant the 'Tropic of Cancer' 23.??deg

This time of year the the sun illuminates the north side of our house, early in the morning and late in the evening. It does appear to rise vertically, and yes there is a southern movement.

Martin Riddle