OT: What to do with VW Diesel?

My friend is asking what to do with his VW Diesel. Will they (DMV) continu e to let him cheat, or they will pull the plug at some point? After all, h is vehicle is passing emission with flying (faking) colors. I wonder how t hey would single out the cheating vehicles.

If they are allowed to keep cheating, VW Diesel owners probably won't even sell it back to the manufacturer.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Who knows. However, in America disowning someone in hindsight can result in lawsuits, as it should. In Germany they just disowned people by starting to ban all Diesels except very new ones from some cities. Beats me why people there do not revolt against that.

Simple: Via the VIN.

If VW will be forced to refund full purchase price (they should be) why not sell it back and then during the very same dealer visit buy a new and compliant model? If he gets a full refund the difference he has to write a check for should be quite small yet he'd get the new car smell for that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I think they are talking about $5,000 (perhaps pro-rated for age?). In tha t case, would new buyers get the refund or only the original buyer? This w ould affect how the vehicles should be priced for resale. I know this is s till too early, just wondering if anyone has some inside info or guess.

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

It should be the current owner. Whether they bought the car new or used they trusted that their is no fraudulent design under the hood.

No idea but I don't think $5k is going to cut it for most people. VW would be drowning in lawsuits.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 09:57:53 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

It does not fail emissions with a non cheating brain box. It fails ton meet their advertized spec.

Idiot. He should update the firmware and keep the car unless HE wants to piss and moan about not getting the originally advertized fuel economy.

It does not fail emissions standards even without the fix in place.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 10:07:12 -0700, Joerg Gave us:

Another idiot.

No, dumbass. By the make, model, and year of manufacture.

You're an idiot.

The only thing it does not comply with is its advertized fuel economy. It does NOT fail emissions. An exhaust port gas sensor does NOT rely on the car's computer. Get the firmware updated to not run lean for the test and it will STILL pass emissions testing. The only thing it will fail to pass is its originally advertized fuel economy claims.

You chumps are such crybaby retards.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Are you sure? 40x NO does not fail emission standards?

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 12:12:52 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com Gave us:

So, but no brain box firmware on any car can lean out mixtures to yield a 40X change.

The big trucks the drivers set to super rich which billowed thick black smoke likely wasn't even that rich.

Use some common sense.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Den torsdag den 21. april 2016 kl. 22.49.15 UTC+2 skrev DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno:

NOx come from high temperature and excess oxygen, lean makes it worse

diesels always run lean

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

If they fix it, it will almost certainly involve the installation of a urea injection system which will require that the urea fluid be replenished periodically, though such fluid replenishment would almost certainly be included as part of the repair. If he sells it back to VW, they will install the urea system then sell it as a used car.

I guess it depends on how much money the offer to buy it back. Are they buying it back for the retail blue book value or for some pro-rated percentage of the purchase price?

Personally, I'd take the money and run to a Toyota dealer. I owned three VWs. Wonderful handling, but the maintenance and repairs can drive you to the poor house.

Reply to
sms

It can be fixed but it'll trash the MPG (the whole point of the fraud). VW has just announced that they'll give VW owners $1B (total) as compensation.

Reply to
krw

$5K will buy a lot of fuel. What other damages can you come up with? Mental anguish?

Reply to
krw

Actually leaning out the mixture is not the way to do it anyway. Nitrogen i s not in the fuel, it is in the air. And there is no leaning out with a die sel.

Nitrous oxide emissions are reduced by lowering peak combustion temperature . This is done by exhaust gas recirculation. (EGR) It is not a matter of ri ch or lean.

A certain amount of EGR is good for most cars because it makes the fuel bur n slower as if it had a higher octane rating. It does not produce that (ver y) little bit more power though, like a higher octane fuel would.

I also find the 40X claim to be a bit hard to believe. The compression, tem perature, valve timing and all that just to burn that much nitrogen out of the air is hard to fathom to a car guy. I think it might be so loud they gi ve you a high power stereo to drown it out. Knock knock knock. (at least in gas, EGR helps get rid of knock)

It is all a matter of them turning off the EGR. The EGR does not help the e fficiency of the engine and hurts performance, therefore the driver steps o n the gas more and that is what hurts fuel economy. Air fuel ratio has noth ing to do with it in a diesel

Reply to
jurb6006

On Thu, 21 Apr 2016 19:16:55 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Yer a real piece of work... err... shit.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Den fredag den 22. april 2016 kl. 03.54.02 UTC+2 skrev krw:

maintenance? the more EGR the more gunk accumulated in the intake

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

You're guessing.

Reply to
krw

A substantial drop in resale value. It wouldn't matter to me because I drive cars almost forever. But it does matter to most others.

Then there is the risk of the car being banned by some government authority after x years. Less so in the US but European government entities I'd never trust in that respect because they have done such things in the past.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

What substantial drop? The cost of the gasoline for the lifetime? That's what the $5K is for.

Not going to happen. With a ECU patch it *will* pass EPA regs. It won't meet advertised fuel efficiency numbers with the update, though.

Reply to
krw

There will likely be a drop in resale value. A car that (if fixed) uses a lot more Diesel is less attractive and thus won't fetch top Dollar on the used car market. A car that isn't fixed and where there is a risk that it may not be driveable in all jurisdiction in the future will also no longer fetch top Dollar. That needs to be compensated for.

Yesterday there were public statements in our newspaper that said some models (IIRC with 2-liter engines) can likely not be brought into compliance at all.

If it was that easy why is VW already way behind schedule and blew past the government-mandate time line to present a fix?

Quote "California Air Resources Board enforcement chief Todd Sax said last month he doesn't think it's technically feasible to repair any of VW's 2-liter diesel engines, under the hoods of most of the models at issue, to meet that state's stringent clean air rules".

That is a lot of cars.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

VW diesels are spewing 40x the US legal NOx. They probably can't be left on the road.

lunatic fringe electronics