OT: What's a good house paint for hot climates?

Hi Folks,

Time to paint the house again but the local brands have changed a lot. Last time was around 14 years ago, and we used Kelly Moore back then. First their Elastocote and then Latex paint. It held up good but now some areas suddenly turned bright white, I guess from the intense sun.

Nowadays the locally available brands are Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore from the local paint store, or Behr from Home Depot. Kelly Moore would require a trip but that's ok if that paint is still the best. I think the toughest enemy for paint on our house is the hot summer sun. Not so much the rain because of the rather large roof overhang.

Any opinions? What say thee?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Well wathcha painting? Wood, stucco, concrete, brick, synthetic siding?

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Oops, sorry, wood siding. But it wouldn't matter much because there is already the Elastocote and the old Kelly Moore paint underneath, which even with serious power-washing effort won't come off.

So in essence we'd be painting paint :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Sherwin-Williams always works as advertized and it's priced slightly less t han Benjamin Moore. They always sell it for less than the list price, will probably let that $55/gal Duration go for $35. I've seen the Behr self-prim ing in action and am less than impressed with it, you will end up using twi ce as much and it still looks bad. Actually wouldn't trust any claims of se lf-priming and prime it anyway whichever paint you use, depends on your sta ndards.I'm pretty sure S-W is the product of choice of the big contractors, they have every imaginable application of paint covered.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

We won't need to prime since there is already paint on the house. It's not peeling or anything, just sun-bleached.

Our paint store doesn't give discounts but that's ok, I am more concerned that it's good stuff so it lasts maybe a bit longer than the

14 years the Kelly Moore lasted.

Meantime, the paints my wife found rated as good:

Pittsburgh Manor Hall Timeless Pittsburgh Sunproof Latex Exterior Benjam

The only thing I don't like is that it's a self-prime thick paint. We don't need to prime.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The Pittsburgh products look good, but I never see them come up in reviews.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I'd still give it a very thourough sanding to remove the layer that got affected by the sun.

14 years is very long. Over here the recommendation is to paint every 8 years if you use very good paint.
nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

That would take many weeks. The previous paint is very tough to get off. We'll pressure-wash it though.

In Germany houses weren't painted that often and that's only a few hundred km from you. Maybe after 20 years or so. But over there I knew what the good stuff was, paints such as ICI Dulux.

However, in Europe the concern was mostly with harsh weather and cold winters. What ruins a paint here is the blistering sun. Walls can get so hot that you can't touch them and then there is the strong UV.

It's amazing. A spot next to the garage has turned from beige to bright white. When we still had linoleum in our kitchen the sun turned a chunk of that from grey to purple. Through the window glass! I think if you leave an EPROM oustide with the glass bare the data content is pretty much gone an hour later.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

For Latex, Glidden Endurance

I painted our eves with this and found out that the big box stores don't carry it. You have to find a Glidden retailer, usually a little hardware store that is approved by Glidden to sell it. I found out it is a popular paint used for the houses along the water front, it weathers very well.

Also get a semi gloss, there are more Akyds in the gloss versions which make for a harder surface that will be more weather resistant. You can always do a final coat in satin to cover the shine, wooden floors are sometimes done this way.

Martin Riddle

Do you know how that holds up in the blistering sun? Weather isn't a concern here but heat and UV is.

So far we've always used semi-gloss. It also washes better. Occasionally we have those turkey vultures and other birds who seem to have no qualms about "letting go" during final approach. Pretty gross.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

you should post this question on alt.home.repair usenet group

I did. The best, most knowledgeable answer came from 'nestork' who really knew his chemistry, background etc.

I opted to use Behr from HD, simply due to availablility. Their masonry and ?? paint is what someone else recommended. After one year in the blazing Arizona sun and cold driving rains, haven't noticed any shift in color. Nor, chalkiness I'm used to seeing.

One note, if you're near an airport; be prepared for that chalky look coming on fast. I've heard that from planes dumping fuel on approach really takes out your paint. From experience living near a major airport, seemed true. Every house had chalky paint and even ours after a coat of EXPENSIVE high quality started going the same way.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Maybe I should have. I thought that group was almost dead by now.

Well, one year isn't much time. All paint looks like new after that short time. The discoloration began last year, meaning after 13 years total. Almost like a digital change .. whambam .. beige -> white. And only some spots.

We have a local runway right in town, it's sort of an airpark town. Occasionally people find motor oil splotches on their homes. But we are also in the approach path for Mather Field where freighters land. They usually do not dump, so far no problems. There is some pollution though because when we get the first rain after several dry months there's some foam in the water from the downspouts.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

You don't have to take everything off. Just a thin layer. An even surface also gives a much prettyer end result. OTOH a belt sander does miracles on thick layers of paint.

Well you can always skip a few years but you'll get rotten wood if you wait to long.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I believe it was in Sweden where they tried building a whole bunch of identical barracks but only painted half of them.

Turned out to be no significant difference when the construction was done right

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

It works in NY weather. I couldn?t say what the surface temps would be in 98 degree weather along the shore. But it is perfered, and it does seem to old up very well. Its not cheap either, I think it was $35/gal.

Martin Riddle

Paints change more often than the expected lifetime of the paint. So how can anybody tell what's good?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

It depends on the climate and conditions. Half of the country I live in is basically a big swamp turned.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

It depends on the climate and conditions. Half of the country I live in is basically a big swamp turned into land. Its very warm and humid in the summer.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel
[...]

That's like Siberia :-)

$35 would be ok, quality is what matters.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Sure, but brands change less often. Unless one gets bought out.

I was hoping it's like with cars, where certain brands need to be avoided and others last a long time. My first two belonged to categroy #1, the latter two to category #2. The difference is HUGE, for a rather modest price difference.