OT: what is this? It flies but it is not superman!

This unidentified flying object just came in through the open window while I was trying to finish some schematics for a customer (hence the late hour):

I guess its some sort of butterfly but I've never seen anything like it. Its about 5cm / 2" wide!

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

It's a Fuku mutant, blame the Japs!

Reply to
Dennis

Mothra?

Run!!

Martin Riddle

Moth ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Not to be confused with Mothera

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I don't know what kind of moth it is, but it's a baby compared to some we've seen here. The cat brought in a few a couple of years back with a body over three inches long, and fat as your thumb. By morning, we had a truly amazing mess of eggs on the living-room carpet.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

??? After 10 minutes or so of data transfer, there was no image to see. Would that be a dial-up related problem?

Reply to
Robert Baer

It looks to me much bigger than that.

As for what it is: My guess is that it's a moth of the silkworm moth family, sometimes called "giant silkworm moths" or something like that.

It looks to me not recognizeably a polyphemus moth or a cecropia moth, both of which are huge. But it looks to me similar.

There is another huge moth outside that family, the royal walnut moth IIRC. Your moth looks slightly like that one.

All of these are in the family saturniidae.

After that comes the sphynx moths, slightly more hornet-like than "giant silkmoths" and not quite as big, but still big. I don't think this one is a sphynx moth.

Your moth or butterfly appears to me a bit strange by having a strangely large thorax.

Speaking of hornet-like moths, the squash borer moth is outright intimidating, though not hugely large.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to

Clarification: Royal walnut moth and the various "giant silkmoths" are in the same family. But, the royal walnut moth is "less thought of as giant silkmoth" than the cecropia and polyphemus moths (in subfamily saturniinae).

Same family, different subfamililes. Subfamily is a level between family and genus.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to

It's a moth. I'm guessing its antennae are more like feathers than like a stick with a knob on the end?

If it's really that big, it might be a BeHe-moth. (sorry)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That or maybe a script problem - try this link:

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

LOL - Of Course! Mothra!

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That's what you see when Trump removes his cheap toupee. You have heard of a fly on the wall, haven't you? ;-)

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

On a sunny day (Mon, 02 May 2011 00:55:00 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

It is a mutant alien.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Thanks everyone. Its a moth indeed (the popular hawk moth):

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Yep. The moths around here can be as big as bats or birds. ...Jim Thompson

Once, when I was stationed at Beale AFB, I was parked at the outskirts of the family housing trailer park, putting the moves on some hot WAF, and I saw a fruit bat fly by with about a 3' wingspan.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Something that escaped from under that thing on Donald Trump's head? >:->

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It is Donald Trump's head. :)