OT What do you think about this electric Trikke/scooter?

(crossposted, please feel free to trim the other group)

I love this stuff (personal electric transportation), and this one looks fantastic.

It costs $2500 (US). Weighs 44 pounds.

Stuff I would make differently...

... aluminum frame instead of steel to reduce the weight

... Delrin ramps in front of the rear wheels, probably just over half way down on the wheel so the rear wheels will not bind on a high obstacle... because the frame might not be low enough and it should be protected anyway

... probably a narrower stance, I would not use the bike for carving

The trike stance is plenty wide to provide balance. The flexible foot stems allow individual suspension (aided by your legs). The front wheel is big (10 inches) but could be much larger to help go over higher obstacles.

What about the "brushless geared hub motor" motor? Does that sound good? Does it at least sound familiar? Any offhand information (or references) about that type of wheel drive would be appreciated. I will do some research.

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe

Currie Technologies are powering their electric bicycles that way. "Exclusive Geared Brushless DC Hub Motor" But apparently that device is not exclusive.

Reply to
John Doe

Hub motor, cool video demonstration.

Reply to
John Doe

Hub motors for the do-it-yourselfer:

$2500 in gas will take my CRV 25,000 miles.

Lithium batteries may not last more than three years, and can be damaged if left in a hot vehicle. YMMV of course.

Ask the stores where you shop if they would allow it inside, and the police whether the laws for bicycles or pedestrians apply to it. They are substantially different, and complicated by the introduction of power wheelchairs and the Segway.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Not for $2500 it doesn't. It looks like yet another Barnum and Bailey rip off, sucker.

Reply to
Abbey Somebody

You are an idiot. It is already too flimsy even for a lard ass like you.

Reply to
Abbey Somebody

There was a thirty minute infomercial running last year about a bike that looked identical but it was an exercise and general purpose bike where the people shifted their weight from one leg to another to propel it.

There was no motor.

It was strictly human powered.

Reply to
BERNIE THE BUNION

Since half my 20 minute commute is at 75-80mph, no thanks.

...and they're not going to be cool supplying that kind of power.

One of the profs in college built an electric bicycle. All was well until he tried to register it. He couldn't since it wasn't a motorcycle but couldn't operate it unlicensed since it was powered. Since he asked the question, he couldn't play dumb. Catch-22.

Reply to
krw

I wonder why people making a vid. like that never seem to use a tripod? The swaying around of the camera makes me about sea-sick. I have to stop it and wouldn't go back. :-( ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

Then build an electric unicycle. I've thought of doing this (already been done by many others) but it seems like it would take all the "challenge" out of riding a unicycle (since it eliminates one control axis). Unfortunately, I fear my body is too old to handle the stresses of learning to ride a *real* unicycle! :<

At that price, why not buy a used car (or 1000 gallons of gas, etc).

Reply to
D Yuniskis

They seem to warm up more from charging than discharging. Since a computer was logging the data I didn't look at it too hard, but I don't remember ever tripping the overtemp limit during a discharge test. The trash barrel of water that cooled the electronic load got quite hot though.

til he

ldn't

n, he

In some places they are mopeds.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

It is a motor addition to a human powered vehicle. I have seen a couple at Venice Beach, CA and not motors. Been awhile, but twisting action or something like that made the vehicle go. so you may not be able to change much of the geometry and still be able to human power.

Reply to
Califbill

I tend to agree, and that is what I thought at first too. But it stops being annoying by the time you get to the good part.

Reply to
John Doe

That has actually been around for over three years.

Both are cheap from a daily commuter sturdiness POV.

I doubt the 28 mile per charge range seriously as well, and it would have to do at least 30 - 35 mph to be even close to be able to call itself 'worthy'.

Just like old stereos, we should see a bunch of laws that force the declaration of these specs to follow a standard.

Number of miles at 30 mph on flat plane. Then maybe a curve plotted out for an incline of a few percent and how far that goes. All with a

200 lb load, of coarse, and even a standard for frontal areal exposure for a wind buffeting load standard.
Reply to
Abbey Somebody

Baloney. Lithium-ion batteries are the best current battery technology, with an extremely wide and fast growing user base. They are already very popular for power tools, the idea they are not rugged and heat resistant is just silly. Anyone even remotely interested in electronics should know at least that much.

--

>>Ask the stores where you shop if they would allow it inside, and the
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Doe

If your mother didn't suck my dick so good, I might be offended by that ignorant bullshit, you nym-shifting troll.

But seriously, get a life...

--
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Doe

Back page of this month's Popular Science...

life imitates life

It is a top post.

This is Usenet.

Do NOT top post.

This ain't your email. Bone up on the forum you are invading.

Reply to
FatBytestard

Your Mongoloid parents should have aborted you.

--
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Doe

Your mother should be jailed as a felon for the heinous crime of not flushing the retarded piece of shit that you are, the moment she shat you out of the retarded piece of shit that she is.

As far as your father goes, your mother was a street corner loiterer, so his taste was in the gutter when he started out, as was his character. And since you came from her descending colon, the only factor he plays in it are the diseases he introduced into her ass before you descended.

Looks like you are pretty much a pathetic loser, spawned from pathetic losers, you pathetic piece of shit.

Reply to
Abbey Somebody