OT Warming

I thought this was an interesting page....

greg

According to Al Gore, man-made global warming is causing record-breaking lethal bilzzards.

"The NOAA image shows how the weather is affecting Scotland and begins in earnest from southern Germany, through Italy and down into Greece, Turkey and Iran. Northern areas of India and China are also affected.

"The startling image was released on the same day Al Gore stepped up to defend his claim that global warming causes the bitterly cold weather. Thirty states in America are affected by a two-day blizzard.

"Writing in his blog Al's Journal, he said: 'As it turns out, the scientific community has been addressing this particular question for some time now and they say that increased heavy snowfalls are completely consistent with what they have been predicting as a consequence of man-made global warming.'

"His response came after Fox News pundit Bill O'Reilly challenged the former Vice President to give his thoughts on 'why southern New York has turned into the tundra'. Generally, the view put forward on global warming is that it would lead to expanding deserts and rising temperatures."

This is how Al Gore's alleged mind works: Warming causes record cold.

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

fic

mer

at

Global warming - over the whole globe - causes there to be less sea ice in the Barents and Kara Seas, north of Finland and European Russia. This is claimed to encourage a pattern of circulation that moves a lot of cold air south in winter, producing heavier than usual snow storms in places like England and New York State, and making other areas unexpectedly warm for the time of year

It's all a little too difficult for Rich's one-neurone mind, though it has come up here from time to time over the past month - the first reference I can find is from the 27th December 2010.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

UAH for January has a negative anomaly. And you claim GW. The picture in the OPs link says it all. F'ing cold out there. Other than a bit of Western Europe the NH land down to the Med is high albedo.

Reply to
Raveninghorde

At least Rich has one neuron. Slowman has only sludge. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Warm is AGW, cold is weather, less ice means colder air. Makes sense to me.

tm

Reply to
tm

That paper is undated. When did they make this prediction?

John

This is terrible, just terrible...

John

Doggone, who are you gonna trust, the simulations

or the cameras?

I know what Sloman would say!

John

.

ng

in

key

ntific

ow

with

former

ed

that

Which explains the negative anomaly. It isn't any kind of evidence that anthropogenic global warming isn't still going on.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

in

ns

r.

is

.

=A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

o me.

It would make more sense if you understood a bit more about what might actually be going on.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

.

ng

in

key

ntific

ow

with

former

ed

that

The paper was submitted on the 12th May 2010, and published on the 5th November 2010 - as shown in the small print on the web-site.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Greenpeace does go out of it's way to provoke emotional reactions. My wife supports them despite this, but I certainly don't.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

.

That John Larkin is silly enough to confuse reports of current wolverine distributions with predictions about what might happen to the wolverine population after 2050 if anthropogenic global warming continues its present trend or faster.

It's a well-known error in logic, usually referred to as confusing apples and pears.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

And when it doesn't, and you're caught with your pants down, you'll go ad hominem on whoever caught you, and pick another chapter and verse from the Warmingist Bible to beat everyone over the head with.

If any of us are even alive in 2050, of course.

Have you ever tried living in the present?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

.

If it doesn't.

Modern physics would be caught with its pants down if anthropogenic global warming suddenly reversed. You can hope that they are wrong, but it wouldn't be something you'd want to bet on.

Since the earth as whole would provide the evidence that "proved" anthropogenic global warming to be a falsified hypothesis, it would be hard to "go ad hominem" on a bunch of weather mesurements.

Since you haven't got a clue about what you are talking about, this fairly unsubtle point seems to have escaped you.

There you go again. You lack the wit to understand the difference between revealed religion and the results of scientific research, and have the daft idea that there is some kind of Warmingist Bible, as opposed to a bunch of potentially falsifiable papers in the peer- reviewed scinetific literature.

My statistical expectation of life could be as high as 29 years - I'd need a second aortic valve transplant at around age 80 if I lived that long, so this might be optimistic - which gets me to 2040 rather than

2050

All my life. But I have kept in mind that the future does have this tendency to elide into the present if you stick around for long enough.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

This winter has to be the most sunless that I can remember. I am in a naturally sunless zone, but this is ridiculous.

greg in WPA

Why is most everything bad, or projected to be bad, blamed on AGW? Why are the good things about warmer weather, more precipitation, and more CO2 never mentioned?

An ice age would probably kill 95% of the population. More CO2 is likely to be good for the planet and its critters.

John

People are more interested in what is going to stop working than in what is going to work better. Things that don't work can kill you. Things that work better can be ignored.

The most recent insights suggest that we wouldn't have had one for another 50,000 years even if we hadn't burnt all the fossil carbon we've got through so far.

But don't lose heart - a re-run of the Younger Dryas, when the Gulf Stream turned off

could make northern Europe and the east coasts of the United States and Canada pretty much uninhabitable, and the most recent Younger Dryas struck in less than a decade, and went away again, some 1300 years later, equally quickly.

A popular opinion on denialist web-sites. It does ignore a large number of potential side effects - of which the Younger Dryas is merely a convenient and well-documented example.

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

Can you cite where you got this from? Reconstructions such as the Antarctica ice core records suggest that it's been a long time since we spent anywhere that much time not having ice age glaciation.

--
 - Don Klipstein (don@misty.com)
Reply to