OT: US navy collisions

Did you ever see the video from 1906 (apparently not 2005 based on post-2008 examinations), supposedly just a short time before the earthquake & fire, showing traffic on what appears to be Market St.

Amazing close calls by non-nonchalant drivers and pedestrians.

Not to mention that this film is slower on playback than reality - watch how the people walk, this should be perhaps 5 - 10% faster pace...

John

Reply to
John Robertson

I left out horses and carriages; we even get them occasionally. And the Cushman meter-maid things. And wheelchairs, of course.

And boats, sort of.

It's the Wild West out here.

lunatic fringe electronics

This all reminds me of the joke about the US aircraft carrier and the Canadian lighthouse.

--
Reinhardt
Reply to

It was a "divide by zero" fault that brought down the database server, and then everything else in the system. Someone was putting in stocks numbers - they typed in something like 1000 pencils on stock, in bundles of 0 pencils each, and asked the program to show the number of bundles. That left the ship dead in the water for a couple of hours.

Reply to
David Brown

Perhaps the captain could try looking out the window?

Reply to
David Brown

That's what txting smartphone users say after walking into lamp posts.

So we can look forward to one of those pranging some unfortunate island that failed to get out of the way of a "well oiled" US military machine?

I reckon they will have to halve the run ration.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I don't think smart phones matter much. I do a lot of walking and there doesn't seem to be a huge correlation between cell phones and people not looking where they're walking. They just don't. It's no wonder people are such lousy drivers - they can't even walk without running into others.

Islands don't move.

There is none, assuming you mean "rum" (reading your smart phone while typing again;-).

Reply to
krw

Actually there should be. There is a manual system redundancy that can be used to control steering closer to the actual mechanics. A warship needs this more than most sine it truly is dead in the water if it cannot continue to manouevre at speed after sustaining damage.

BTW They are claiming a steering casualty in some reports.

Pretty much my take on it too. Although the US ship was also large.

The surprise for me was that they got hit so precisely amidships. I'd have expected the tanker to turn slightly towards the other ships stern after spotting it which means their misjudgement must have been huge.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Drawing from my recent bicycle-car interaction with an apparently blind driver in a Buick, the analogy is impactful.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Cycling in urban environment is doubly dangerous...

Can you understand this? Is the last individual shown the one on the ladder?

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Yes, the one in black shirt is the worker on the ladder. Does this have anything to do with cycling?

Reply to
edward.ming.lee

Jim Thompson wrote on 8/22/2017 11:36 AM:

I'm not certain of the distance, but they already consider approaching a warship without permission to be a threat. The problem is that if they don't know you are there, they can't shoot you out of the water... If they knew the tanker was there, why would they allow themselves to have a collision?

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

It doesn't work that way at all. All else equal the vessel to the right has the right of way, just like on the road. But there are exceptions when the ships are difficult to maneuver or not under power such as a sail boat or a tanker both of which have the right of way over any other powered vessel.

Keep in mind that a slower ship will appear to approach on a line that is less than 45 degrees off your bow. So "side" looking is not needed.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

These smallish warships are probably 3 times faster than the ships that hit them--~60 kt vs. 20 kt on a good day. Acceleration of such a large object isn't instantaneous, of course, and confined waters are difficult, but it s ure seems like somebody was asleep at the switch.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

Exactly wrong. As long as both ships are traveling in a straight line at constant speed the bearing will remain constant. Construct a triangle of the line between the two ships and the paths to the point of intersection, they will form a triangle. As the two ships move all angles will remain the same with the lengths of the sides will scale down to zero at the point of impact.

--

Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Reply to
rickman

Impactful, indeed. However, I've found the bicycle riders are just as blind as Buick drivers. Hell, people can't even walk anymore.

Reply to
krw

If cycling is related to Navy collisions, then getting electrocuted on a ladder is related to cycling. This is a syllogism.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

The official top speed of the Arliegh Burke class of destroyers is listed at 30kt. Rumor is that they can do 35kt.

Displacement hull ship's speed is limited by the hull length (bow shock wave).

Reply to
krw

Mostly they stand or slump while gazing blankly, bathed in the light of their precious 5" +/- screens.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany