OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

He is pretty much the epitome of a nineteenth century rich landed gentry from an old money family. He might yet even make a decent Leader of the House (it is difficult to see how he could be any worse than Leadsom).

I wonder if he knows the difference between the commonly used:

I would be obliged if you could

and the original correct grammatical form:

I should be obliged if you would

When I was at school English grammar was only taught to people studying foreign languages and nothing beyond basic subject, object and verb in English class. I understand it has been dumbed down even further now.

Most of what I know about English grammar is from Latin classes.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I'll agree that the previous generation always complains about the next generation's inability to do things we consider simple. But when you were using a slide rule you pretty much had to carry the exponent in your head. Today's calculator users trust whatever number it spits out.

I fairly often used mental arithmetic where I could but marked it SR. It saved a heck of a lot of time compared to using log tables.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I think James Arthur did/ had some calculation like this. Some questions; Does plating fill the hole to the same thickness as the copper on the surface? (I thought less) If you make a bigger hole will it fill with solder and thus be better?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Vias in pads are not that much of a problem for me (usually 0.2mm vias). Almost 20 years ago when I first used a BGA - 1.27mm spaced - I did vias in all bga pads so I would have access to all signals for debugging. I still do it like this to this day, have not had a 0.5mm spaced BGA yet though, yet to see how things will go there. The approach is probably not perfect for large production quantities; the problem I had at the beginning was that some of the BGA balls would detach from the bga and flow all the way through the via making a nice bubble under the board.... Just one or two per chip you know, so you have to redo it - which was a total nightmare to me back then. So I started to bake the BGA chips with some good flux once alone, balls up - so I'd know no ball is cold soldered to the chip. Works fine; even better, the holes take care of the different ball sizes, you can see at the bottom of the board some are filled and other not etc.

For your DPAK part vias in the pad might do even good in order to get all the thermal contact you need to say the GND plane.

Here is that first BGA board I made all these years ago:

Dimiter

====================================================== Dimiter Popoff, TGI

Dimiter_Popoff

Of course part of his office has moved to Ireland, so it can keep on servic ing European customers after Brexit'

Like Boris Johnson he wants to eat his cake and keep it too. Old school Eng lish, in the perfidious Albion sense.

Probably not. He's a bit too conscious of his social superiority to pay eno ugh attention to his intellectual superiors.

I don't see the subtle insult.

"I would be obliged" does imply the possibility that they won't do what's b eing asked for, but there no implication that you think that they can't do it - it merely acknowledges that it might not happen. It's a prediction of your reaction if the service were rendered.

"I should be obliged" is equally open-ended, but carries the further implic ation that you think that you'd have to be obliged if the service were carr ied out. It's not only a prediction of your reaction, but an admission that that ought to be your reaction.

What they might have meant a hundred years ago is a more complicated questi on.

Frequently used forms of words become idioms, and acquire additional inform ation content in the process.

There are papers on the subject.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

That's why it's important we ban books -- they've got no commercials, plant no tracking cookies, and take too much time away from television.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

But only on Earth, I think

Reply to
John T.

On a sunny day (Tue, 30 Jul 2019 07:56:05 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

Exactly, books kill trees so cause glowballworming, are heavy, no online updates, fire hazard, take too much space, no live experiment movies, sensitive to fungus, not waterproof, lower data per dollar than google and bing, usually only a one person POV, and once you have read one all it is good for is fix a wobbling table or something.

I bought an ebook reader some time ago, it has an e-ink display. is water proof, has WiFi and a bad browser, has some books on it started reading those ..yuck, no, interfaced it to my navigation system was all about that display, that is OK:

slow refresh... Very good readable in intense sunlight, you could probably put the work of the great writers here on it, and save trees. No color. I does not do teefee, way to slow. Solution? I think not. Back to the laptop or pad.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Cursitor Doom has been posting entertaining heterodoxy and electronics-related postings here for decades. He is not a Russian troll. He's a hobbyist.

Cheers, James Arthur

~~~~~~~~~~ "Correction: An item in last month's 'Entertainment' section incorrectly identified Yoko Ono as a cannibalistic, grave-robbing gold digger greedily feeding on the shattered dreams of a generation. Miss Ono is a multimedia artist." (MAD Magazine, c. 1980)

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Dimiter's his own man, a bona fide long-time poster, and quite different to the other two. It's surprising you'd mix them.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I'm glad to discover you guys bringing this gem up here (rudely hijacking an OT thread).

I too came to Phil's calculation that a dense smattering of small vias laid down the most copper, but got John's lament from assembly houses that the vias gobble the solder paste. "Don't do that," they said.

Maybe a sensible tack would be using small vias to maximize copper, then estimating the aggregate void, and then estimating the paste application adjustment from that, such that the voids are filled and there's enough solder film left to bond the part.

Pass that info on to manufacturing, and Bob's your Brexit. I mean uncle.

Grins, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

I have a Sony e-book reader. E-ink is slick. But as beautiful as it is, books are better. Much. (The Sony gets next to zero use.)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Jan, will you be loading Linny-ex on that nifty Googledroid spypad Jan-tapper?

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Ok, so give me an example of "imposing it on the whole country" ?.

Not at all. Not a party man here and vote for who I think will be good for the country, but the fact is that the msm in this country (England) are predominantly left wing and twist the facts on a regular basis to suit the agenda. No conspiracy required. Current main agendas are climate change, try to stop Brexit and most recently, slag off anything they can about the Johnson leadership campaign. Then they have the cheek to moan about ever increasing levels of fake news, when they are one of the main purveyors of it.

Have been a Guardian subscriber, print edition for over ten years and well aware of their contempt for the intelligence of their readers. Not sure how much longer though...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

On a sunny day (Tue, 30 Jul 2019 09:53:34 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

The thought has certainly crossed my mind. But since I am no droid expert it is probably not so simple. I had a closer look at its 10 core processor, and it is ARM:

so to install the penguin I could try something like this:

I got a strange email from ebay about this today, have emailed them, no shipping / tracking code yet, hope it is not a fake seller.

We will see, expected arrival August-September... Will know more in a week or so. There are plenty of these cheap tablets around, cheap likely because it is 3G only. Make no difference to me, I use it with WiFi.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Fowlers English Usage, is a good reference, but the whole thing about language is that it's always changing. What is in current usage doesn't necessarily invalidate the past. Depends on context and situation. Whatever, but grammar police are generally a pain in the whatsit anyway :-)...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

His religious opinions about abortion, same sex marriages, and similar.

QED, I believe.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

.... and while you're enjoying some great TV programs, why not tuck into something equally delightful to eat?

You'll be saving the planet, too!

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

So what ?. So he should be banned from public life just because some disagree with his opinions ?. You don't counter extremism by banning it, you let them speak and counter it with a better argument.

It's a d e m o c r a c y, where diverse opinions should be encouraged, or at worst tolerated and it's not as though Mogg gets his own way about much without scrutiny by parliament,the great leveler. He does however have a first class intellect and an encyclopaedic knowledge of uk law and parliamentary procedure, so ideal for the role of father of the house.

You may not like him, but people should be chosen on the basis of ability, not their opinions, even though we are on the edge of a thought crime state in many ways...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

On a sunny day (Tue, 30 Jul 2019 17:53:17 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Cursitor Doom wrote in :

Next may be a BBC article about cannibalism, you see here: Africa does it too, keeps the population boom in check'. Click here: Would you Would you not?

I actually clicked 'no' on that BBC site, and am still with the majority. ^^^ Totally unacceptable.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje