OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

Well, the Bible *was* originally in English.

As Warf said, Shakespeare sounds so much better in the original Klingon.

lunatic fringe electronics

The mental math is analog, like a slide rule, not actual arithmetic. There are tricks, like crudely approximating a few constants and reciprocals and logs, that get within 25% or so of the right answer. That's close enough to decide whether it's worth grabbing a calculator or running Spice.

Like the old GR "lightning empiricism" game.

lunatic fringe electronics

Perhaps someone has finally bred a politician with a sense of humor?

John, esq.

lunatic fringe electronics

I do a bit of both. Memorizing a few facts helps too, e.g. for thermal vias, PTH copper is about 40-um thick and small vias (10 mil) are mostly copper.

I do a lot of "photon budgets", which are basically feasibility calculations mostly based on first principles and material properties. It's a lot easier to know how your design is doing when you know how good it could potentially be, so you know how close you are.

I've been working like a maniac the last couple of years, but once I get my third edition submitted, I'm hoping to string a bunch of photon budgets together into another book. It's a very useful skill that should be more widely distributed.

Yup. Wasn't that Philbrick? ISTR stealing the idea from a Pease column.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

He's just being a Panteltje. We're used to it round here. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

We have debated here about whether to pave a copper pour with a lot of small vias or a fewer number of big ones.

Right, it was Philbrick. There's a section in one of Jim Williams' books about that.

There used to be technology in Massachusetts!

lunatic fringe electronics

Yeah yeah, more standard troll babble. You have already seen my website, you know who I am and what I do. Oops, the logs say it was looked at from St. Petersburg 1-2 days ago, after my first post here for a long time. The location of the russian troll farms, sure you have nothing to do with them, I know, I know.

Like I said, they cast you all using the same form. Not so hard to understand why really, who would enlist as a russian propaganda troll if they were able to do something useful.

And don't try too hard to convince people here who I am, most of them have known me for many years. Many years before they assigned you to troll this group.

Dimiter

====================================================== Dimiter Popoff, TGI

Dimiter_Popoff

*** The lunatics are now truly in charge of the asylum. ***

Hey, this is the best line I have seen so far re the brexit madness! :D

Dimiter

====================================================== Dimiter Popoff, TGI

Dimiter_Popoff

You get more copper per square by using the smallest vias that get the full metal thickness down in the middle. With a 40-micron copper thickness, a 10-mil finished hole (250 um) has an unfinished diameter of

250+80 um, i.e.

pi/4*(330 um)**2 = 0.086 mm**2

and the finished hole's area is

pi/4*(250 um)**2 = 0.049 mm**2

so the hole area is 1 - 0.049/0.086 = 42% copper. Plated copper's alpha is about 380 W/m/K, and FR-4's is about 0.25 W/m/K. So assuming perfect heat spreaders on both sides, a 1.6 mm board with a rectangular array of these holes spaced by a distance d will have a thermal conductance per square metre of

1/theta(d) = (0.049E-6*380/d**2 + 0.25)/0.0016.

For holes on 1.5 mm pitch, this is 5300 W/K/m**2. For a square centimetre of thermal pad, we get 1E-4 square metres, so

theta = 1/0.53 ~ 2 K/W, not bad, and that's only a 6 x 6 array of holes.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

You can get 0.2 W/K

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Balderdash. I've been reading and posting to this group regularly since the mid 1990s under various guises and I don't remember you *at all* during all that time - despite having a *very* good memory for such things. If you're not Bill Sloman then you're Phil Alison; I'd put money on it.

Cursitor Doom

Thanks for clearing that up, Phil. I was beginning to wonder.

Cursitor Doom

** Very funny.

Neither Bill or I have ever used a "handle" or "sock puppet" and are not using them now.

I don't need to hide behind a stupid mask like you do nor think it one tiny bit fair to attack a poster while remaining anonymous.

Only cowards do that. Why don't you change your handle to " Complete Dickhead "

It has the same initials and is way more descriptive.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Reece Mogg is old school english, but I don't have a problem with that. If he wants so specify rules in his own office, then fair enough, though the left wing msm will present it in the most prejudicial way possible, as usual...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

The problem arises when he imposes it on the whole country (which, as a lawmaker, he has done), or makes the UK look stupid (which he does with his "metric is bad" stuff).

Presumably he wants to measure capacitance in Jars.

Ah. A fanatic that sees something and automatically presumes a conspiracy.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

My production people don't like vias in pads, so a dpak or SOT89 or whatever needs to have a solid pad, then a region of solder-masked topside copper, then copper with a lot of vias. That will work for my dpak resistor, and I'd be happy to get somewhere near, say, 6 to 8 k/w overall.

That scheme doesn't work well for power pad parts that have leads all around. They just have to deal with vias in the pads.

lunatic fringe electronics

Empty vias in pads can suck up solder and leave voids, it's true. But there are lots of ways round that.

For one thing, large featureless pads typically get too much paste, which can cause open circuits in neighbouring leads of the same part. There's a happy medium someplace. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

I agree.

That is one thing that has been lost in the modern era of graphing calculators and spreadsheets everywhere.

People have lost the ability to sanity check their calculations to the nearest order of magnitude (as you always had to do when using a SR).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

** SR = slide rule - right ?

I still have mine from Sydney University Engineering days.

It's a Castell "Electro" in good working order and resides in it's original case from the very early 70s.

Honestly, I have almost totally forgotten how to use the darn thing.

Who remembers the old joke common in large computer installations where a similar rule was enclosed in a glass case on the wall ?

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I don't think that is true. Sanity checking is something that you acquire with experience. Young people will get there, little by little. And then *they* start complaining that the *next* generation has "lost" that ability. It has always been thus.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

** Sanity checking a SR result mainly depends on the ability to do mental arithmetic.

However, knowing what the right answer should look like IS mostly due to experience - but many calculator or computer simulation errors are so big accepting them is like believing the moon is actually made of green cheese.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison