OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

The new UK PM is an old Etonian and Buller Boy at Oxford (infamous for trashing fine eateries and college rooms in drunken rampages). The cream of British society: rich, thick and clotted. I wouldn't trust him to open a village fete. YMMV

When daddy is insanely rich and very influential and you leave the distraught owner a blank cheque for repairs you can get away with it.

The inbreds in Indiana - most notably a crank called Goodwin who thought he had squared the circle and actually had pi = 3.2 but also interpreted as claiming pi = 4. They tried to *legislate* the value of pi!

and

His "reasoning" was nothing like logically consistent. A version of the story appears in a Random Walk in Science and other books of anecdotes.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

On a sunny day (Mon, 29 Jul 2019 08:03:12 +0100) it happened Tom Gardner wrote in :

And put to work in the coal mines.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Chris wrote in news:qhl3q5$ase$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Bullshit. We were supplying The UK with steel and other war materiel in 1940.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yeah, how very very witty.

How do they manage to recruit you trolls all of you being cast using the same form I'll never know.

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

Only for woodworking tolerances!

The other handy one was that there are ~ pi x 10^7 seconds in a year.

The first course I ran into where a slide rule got you nowhere was crystallography where answers needed to be 6 sig fig. I had to buy a calculator SR51. My favourite calculator was my programmable SR59.

In physics we were expected to determine local g to better than 3 sig fig to stand any chance of getting top marks. It was a popular practical exam since it requires ingenuity to get that precision in a 3 hour exam. More importantly it required only trivial cheap hardware and good experimental technique.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Though it would make the DUP's heads explode! Putting the trade barrier down the Irish Sea is the only coherent option that might work.

It will be interesting (Chinese usage) to see what happens. The lunatics are now truly in charge of the asylum.

Boris == Bullshit == Brexit

I expect yet another election within three months.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Was g in that location slightly different from the value found in the data books?

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

Unusually yes. Although the smartest students knew the right answer.

It deviated on the low side from the theoretical predictions of the most commonly used gravity model latitude dependence too:

Regards,
Martin Brown
Reply to
Martin Brown

Given that the DUP is "the political wing of the old testament", even if I noticed a difference to their heads, I wouldn't care.

But a barrier in the Irish Sea makes the breakup of the UK easier and even more probable.

Well, if Boris said there wouldn't be another election, it will probably happen.

At that point, since I'm too old to emigrate and don't have any "foreign" grandparents, my only hope is that other parties can cooperate. I'm not holding my breath.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

For that you have "soft metric" and "hard metric", e.g. 6" == 150mm, ahem.

I occasionally say "I'll only be 20 nanocenturies" (i.e. a minute) or "I'll be less than a nanocentury" i.e. < pi seconds.

My first year exam had a question which required you to calculate the input and output voltages to a non-inverting opamp with a gain of 10.

I was one of the few that spotted you /needed/ a calculator to get the voltages to be coherent.

I still like the standard technique we had to use to measure voltage to 0.1%: a 2% 50uA meter, a NiFe cell, some resistance wire, a metre rule, and a Weston cell.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Why not throw in an outbreak of plague as well, just for good measure? :)

Reply to
Chris

AFAICS, you're the troll on here. A couple of days ago you were claiming to be an honest broker but that facade didn't last long, did it? You're obviously one of the many clowns that inhabit my killfile and you've crawled out under a new nym just to vent your spleen; you didn't fool me for a single minute. You're probably Bill Sloman and ICTFP. "Dimiter_Popoff" indeed LOL!

Cursitor Doom

Because the other points happened :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Yeah, but you have to keep the surface dry to avoid spoilage, and that's a pain.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Spoils the gravy, too. Same for putting halved lemons in the cavity of roast chicken.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Also fancy tailors.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Ours too.

I would find it very difficult to design things if I didn't have a pretty accurate feel for the magnitudes of different effects, e.g. the parallel capacitance of a resistor.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

And to engineering accuracy 1 attoparsec = 1 decifoot. (Further proof, if any were needed, that God is an Englishman.) ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

What is this BS, the man said that to his staff, doesn't apply to the whole country.

If you must get your biased fake news from the likes of the Guardian, BBC or Independent, at least make the effort to verify the sources...

Chris

Reply to
Chris

We recently had dinner cooked by a French artist. I don't like his art much but the food was great. He puts the heel of a loaf of French baguette into the cavity of the chicken when he bakes it, with something else. That's fabulous. His grandmother showed him how to do that.

lunatic fringe electronics