OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

If the UK starts bullying too much, it is time for a new Continental Blockade i.e. closing continental (air)ports for UK vehicles :-).

Reply to
upsidedown

On a sunny day (Sun, 28 Jul 2019 09:28:07 -0000 (UTC)) it happened Cursitor Doom wrote in :

I do not think May was that bad, she simply faced big problems. 'Will of the people' versus 'Will of the big companies' (trade), resurrection of the IRA.

There is little to gain from leaving the EU, and 'Will of the People' does not make what those want the right thing. The whole thing seems trump inspired division and started when he came to power. It's aim is

1) to weaken the EU 2) to weaken the UK, then get the best deal with the UK at the lowest price point, basically rob it.

UK has nothing to negotiate left, it stands alone if Brexit succeeds. In the mean time trump is starting WW3 and the whole world may fall apart,

The new guy in number 10 is just a trumpist puppet has has nothing but words whispered into his ears by trumps CIA messengers.

There is also UK immigration, last time I was in Londen many years ago it looked like India in some places, Indian shops.

So 'the people' have changed, and their habits, hell I even noticed a women in burka in a park there. It is not the old good English style anymore, it is a mix of all sort of cultures.

In the larger view with climate heating set by orbital changes maybe Africa will burn to death and all that sheep herder IQ will move north and destroy current N European civilization. goes for S America versus N America too.

It is perhaps a very good idea to study maps of continents and the vegetation of the last 1000,000 years and the 20,000 year glacier cycle, to see where there were livable spaces. This link seems dead,

but I have the paper, downloaded in 2006:

Many good links have been removed possibly by antropo-whatsit climate change fanatics...

Taken into account those changes, what is the value of that island? It is all a temporary solution, and especially if UK participates in trumpist wars radioactive polluted land is not worth much. Then they will all have to apply for asylum in the EU... OK. :-) May can come, Boris? I dunno. :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

+1. Even when it's not trash it's still a waste of one's life.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Engineering is a huge good for the world on the whole. Unlike many other subjects. Phil is off in his own world again.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I think I see similar scenarios but I also think you might reassign the persons who are relevant. Just consider the obvious facts:

Trump is the third US president during Putin's reign; Putin is the 8-th Russian president during Elizabeth II's reign.

And I think Elizabeth has more brains than Trump and Putin put together, apart from both of them being dwarfs compared to her in terms of political experience/longevity.

A weaker west is good for the Kremlin; what does the Queen see as being better I can't even begin to guess. Preserve her kingdom from the threat it will become a part of an EU state? Perhaps possible. But likely things are a lot more complicated than that, it may turn out she stops brexit in the last moment or whatever (a single word of her would suffice for the public in England).

Dimiter

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

So says someone who's obviously got no counter argument.

Cursitor Doom

Can't see the French and the Germans (in particular) going down that route!

Cursitor Doom

Oh dear. I'm afraid I'm a very firm believer in democracy so the 'will of the people' (who do all the work to support the parasite class and have to take all their rules) is paramount IMV. Any leader who can't see that is going down a very dangerous path indeed.

Stood alone in 1940 as well as you seem to forget. Not afraid to do it again, either.

Hard to see how he can be a "Trumpist puppet" when he said Trump was out of touch with reality over his London crime remarks and unfit for the office of President! But you carry on trotting out the rubbish printed and broadcast by the media if it makes you happy, Jan.

Cursitor Doom

We have a guy like that, but what's important is what he does, not whether we approve of his personality.

We can ignore his personality, but we can't ignore tax forms.

lunatic fringe electronics

The burgers and fries at Zuni and Absinthe and Trick Dog are astounding, but they don't come with plane tickets. I can send you a gift certificate for McDonalds.

lunatic fringe electronics

A slide rule doesn't manage the exponent, and often the exponent is all you need.

lunatic fringe electronics

Yeah yeah, like I said in another post on another topic I know all the repertoire of you russian troll crowd. Asking for agruments against retarded nonsense you post is quite stadard.

Tell us what you do for a living. Then tell us *when* you do it.

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

So says someone who's obviously got no counter argument.

Cursitor Doom

One of the great glories of SED is watching all you guys who don't live here in the UK getting the wrong end of the stick. JRM is the new boss in his department. He likes the written output of his department to stick to the style guide he prefers. It's not folly, or dictatorship. For example, in British politics it has become commonplace to describe practices, events or occurrences as "unacceptable". It's used mainly for virtue signalling. JRM wants his minions to think before they write, so banning lazy shorthand and platitudes is OK by me.

MK

https://www.avg.com
Reply to
Michael Kellett

Standard russian troll babble again.

Tell us what you do for a living. Then tell us *when* you do it.

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

On a sunny day (Sun, 28 Jul 2019 17:35:03 +0100) it happened Michael Kellett wrote in :

So what has his madness to do with imperial units? minions, well if he has some they should kick him in the rear-end, Freedom of speech? The man is a moron, he was assigned to that post by Boris, that makes Boris also a moron maybe he thinks if he assigns a moron he looks better compared to it himself, well that does not work for outside of the UK, does it IN the UK? I estimate their intelligence higher. Been wrong before though :-(

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

To be specific, the broadcasters have that unbearable habit of interrupting commercial blocks and injecting the trash content you mention.

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Sigh. CD's usual lack of comprehension of the English language.

Of course neither side *wants* it, but in the absence of an appropriate agreement, they will *need* it.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

He should also tell us which country he lives in, because he has stated it isn't part of the UK, viz...

On 27/07/19 19:55, Cursitor Doom wrote: > On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 20:23:57 +0300, Tauno Voipio wrote: > >> Including guineas, pounds, shillings and pence? > > Served us perfectly well for centuries. I for one would love to see them > re-introduced. In fact I might even move back if that happened.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Too true.

But using a slide rule gave (gives?) *gravitas* to the person doing the calculation.

There's the old lament: - when I was an undergraduate I had a 12" slipstick - when I was doing my PhD I had a helical slipstick - now I'm a professor I have a 6" slipstick

Reply to
Tom Gardner