OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

It's just so blatantly Third World and unconstitutional one wonders how we're even in this position -- the schools have clearly failed to teach our fellow citizens how this whole "freedom" form of government thing works.

It might be kind of fun though. Various states could add a "trial by ordeal" requirement, like ice-water immersion, or a minimum number of pushups.

Or maybe a business-experience requirement, which would weed out all the professional parasites^H^H^H^H^Hpoliticians.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

dagmargoodboat

Are you saying states don't each have their own regulations to be on the presidential ballot?

  Rick C.

  ++- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  ++- Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

But California is prettier and has better weather.

And better bread.

lunatic fringe electronics

Amazon and Ebay sell a wide range of punched copper disks, intended for jewelry use. Probably not pure copper, but pretty good. One of those could drop into a round hole on a PCB. But then, where would the heat go?

Heard from DG lately? Still in Mississippi?

lunatic fringe electronics

Aren't you equating a) the practical, voter-approval based electoral necessity of winnowing candidates on the ballot to those with plausible prospects of winning, with b) the practice of state legislatures arbitrarily disqualifying particular fully-qualified candidates solely on the basis of skin-color (orange)?

Seriously Rick, you're not thinking this through. I already gave several examples of how disastrous your theory would be. You responded to none of them.

Another reason it's unconstitutional -- the Constitution guarantees to all citizens the right to a republican form of government, a right which is denied when the citizens cannot vote for the representatives of their choosing.

California's law is unconstitutional. It's not even close.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

To the other side. I'm assuming a hairy use needing this level of heat disposal has a heat sink on the other side. In my case, last time, we spec'd a milled, finned, aluminum block. Worked great.

Yep, spoke to 'im yesterday. As charming and fun as ever.

Cheers, James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

It's not my theory. It's common practice. I don't know why you keep asking about the consequences of *my* idea.

Talk to the states that set requirements for Presidential candidates, not me, about "consequences".

Here are some Constitutional requirements set by states...

CA - The Court found the requirement that the candidate be a member of the independent party for over a year before being allowed to participate in that party's upcoming primary constitutional.

Hawaii banned write-in voting - Here, voters had ample opportunity to participate in elections.

The Hawaii ban is interesting in that I don't follow the reasoning between write-in candidates and voter "ample opportunity"...

--

  Rick C.

  +++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  +++ Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209
Reply to
Rick C

My board will be in a box, so a heat sink on the bottom would be short and sitting in dead air. My best option might be to conduct the heat from the bottom of the board to the bottom of the aluminum box, through a gap-pad or a sandwich of aluminum and gap-pads (or copper disks!) The wouldn't be awful, just sandwich the metal with double-sticky gap-pad stuff and scrunch the PCB on top.

There are AlN resistors that size that are rated for hundreds of watts.

lunatic fringe electronics

Either links of thick copper wire soldered in, or stamped sheet links. A set of spokes of that sort should shift a therm or 2. Even a bunch of light links eg staple-style metal resistors can at least help.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

tc.

stick on of these in the pcb before soldering,

Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Yeah, it's a bit of over-thinking here. The slug that you solder-down is already a copper plate, if you want a bigger one, choose the package accordingly. Or use a connector on the PCB, and plug in a through-hole-with=heatsink daughterboard from the wave solder tank.

Any really effective heatsink has to be absent during reflow soldering, after all (or ineffective in an IR oven environment).

This heatsink option always tickled me (I have a computer somewhere with such a hat)

Reply to
whit3rd

When was the last time Civics was taught in high school?

It's a good thing that Arnold Schwarzenegger isn't a natural born citizen.

How about "no one who has ever resided in California or New York"? Or maybe no one who is a member of the Democratic Party?

Reply to
krw

There are very pretty areas of NY (Finger Lakes, Adirondacks,...) but the weather does suck. Both are off-the-charts nuts, though.

Don't know if I buy that one. I'm not much into bagels but the Italian is quite good.

Reply to
krw

Grin, to paraphrase our Prez, 'there are nuts on both sides'. But it does seem my state (NY) is going a bit crazy. I tend to see more of a authoritarian/ libertarian divide than right/ left. (The only political commentators that make any sense to me are the libertarian right... there is no libertarian left to be heard in the MSM.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

George H kindly sent us a book about food chemistry, "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat" which calls the Tartine sourdough loaf the best bread in the world. Is's about a foot in diameter and weighs about three or four pounds.

Their morning buns are famous too.

Truckee Sourdough is wonderful. The starter was unplanned, whatever drifted in from the forest.

Mo thinks we we could manage to nab a fresh-baked loaf, pack it in a cold-pack box, and ship it to George overnight. She works a couple of blocks from the bakery and could walk it over to my shipping department.

George, wanna try that?

lunatic fringe electronics

Grin. Thanks, but it's not necessary. Maybe someday I'll get to SF and you can treat me to some food. (I'd rather spend my food money on oysters :^)

Here in NY I like the rye bread. Some of my favorite breads were the dark breads I had in Germany... each town has their own bakery and flavor.

The traditional bar food in Buffalo is Beef on Weck. The weck is a kimmelweck roll, carraway seeds and big salt chunks, slather with horse radish and down with beer.

Hey the weather here has been fantastic. Sunny, 80's (F) days and 60's during the night. And we have seasons!

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The little French restaurant down the hill has local's night Tu-Th every week. Oysters are $1 each, and the prix-fixee (?) dinner is $25.

In New Orleans, I'd get oysters for 10 cents each with a draft beer for 25.

We have seasons too! It's high summer right now, 58F and foggy.

lunatic fringe electronics

Monotonically more government has to end badly.

lunatic fringe electronics

The increasing debt won't help either.

GH

Reply to