OT: UK to move back to imperial units?

Maybe not. 1 oz copper is about 70 k/w per square. I can probably surround the dpak with 12 or maybe 15 squares of copper before I hit the sea of vias, so the spreading part could be maybe 5 k/w. With a lot of solder-filled vias, I could possibly get the net dpak below 10 k/w. The trick would be to get the vias very close to the part tab without annoying manufacturing too much.

Then if I dissipate 8 watts, it will only rise 80K!

We'll try it.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

John Larkin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Get Terrell to post his 'lits'. Or was that Thompson?

I'd bet KRW has it.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

That's total BS. Each state sets requirements for getting your name on the ballot in that state. It's been this way as long as I remember.

--
  Rick C.

  -++ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

I don't have any trouble telling them all apart within a few sentences. It's weird (to me) that others can't. Brains are weird and wonderful.

Ages ago at Epcot Center, the SYL could identify all sorts of historical figures from their eyes alone; I couldn't identify any of them.

"It's easy," she said, "just look at them."

I did. It didn't help.

Cheers, James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Above I posted this estimate from basic principles:

->| |

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Republicans hold a large majority of state legislative bodies. Would you be okay with them passing laws preventing qualified Democrat candidates from running in their states? Under your theory, what stops them?

It's unconstitutional six ways from Sunday. For one, ISTM it's a bill of attainder -- a transparent attempt to pass a law meant punish a particular individual. For another, it's adding requirements on top of the Constitution's, which clearly states the requirements to be president.

States don't get to customize the requirements to suit themselves -- that's lawless. Third-world. And very dangerous.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

On a sunny day (Fri, 2 Aug 2019 19:22:04 -0700 (PDT)) it happened snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

I dunno about all those 'merrican lawsuits, but it was signed into law by the demoncratetic governor. The previous governor did not want to sigh it. it is all over the news:

Are you saying somebody running for Precedent will fight it in court? California will then likely declare independence :-) Shortly after followed by Texas, and a few more states.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

What theory? That's what they do! Try reading something about it.

--
  Rick C.

  +-- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

I've called *her* a lot worse! :-D

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I had an Iranian friend who could identify precisely were any given person came from to within a few hundred square miles out of the entire Eurasian land mass just by studying them for a few seconds. Didn't even need to hear 'em speak, either. Just an amazing natural ability.

The UK Border Force could use people like that in places like Dover. They'd never get away with the old, "so sorry, lost my passport on the way" line beloved of so many piss-taking illegal entrants.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Cursitor Doom is easily amazed. Often by strikingly implausible claims.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Indeed.

The meaning of "where they come from" is extremely ambiguous. The black comedian Lenny Henry famously wanted to take up

to any (black) person to "go home". After all, he was born in Dudley Birmingham, and had lived there ever since :)

However there is the phenomenon used by police: some people are "super recognisers" with the ability to accurately spot "faces of interest" in a crowd.

Conceivably CD's anecdote represents a variant of that.

Or perhaps his Iranian friend had convinced /himself/ that he could do that trick :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Jan Panteltje wrote in news:qi37kq$mue$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

No state will ever "succeed" from the US. Not permitted. It is a union of states, and no, we would not ever allow one to declare itself as its own country. Too much shit hits the fan in such a case, so it will NEVER (be allowed to) happen.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

There is already Supreme Court precedence that states can't add qualification to national positions.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

cal

Unlikely. Super recognisers recognise specific human faces.

Cursitor Doom's Iranian friend had to sort out an arbitrary collection of p reviously unfamiliar faces according to the place where they came from.

There are heritable features that show up in face shape, but they show up a ll over the place. Hair and clothing styles do vary from place to place but they also vary with social class and religion. It would be neat trick if a nybody could pull it off, but granting that Cursitor Doom is a gullible twi t, it's a lot more likely that somebody was pulling his leg.

Also possible. But less likely.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I've met Gavin. He's a total airhead.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

That's not really the issue. The issue is what requirements are in place for a Presidential candidate to be on the ballot. I've not heard of any of these requirements being challenged successfully.

"Qualification" for office is an entirely separate matter.

--
  Rick C.

  +-+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rick C

IOW you'd be fine with Republican states barring Democrats from running? And with states setting literacy tests, or only permitting people who can show they've built at least one hotel? You've no problem with stripping someone of their Fourth Amendment rights, nor ripping away the Fifth, at your convenience.

Ah yes, the tyrant's mindset -- it's all so simple, isn't? Just ignore the law and the Constitution, and do whatever you want to whomever you please.

But the fact is you're mistaken, and California's law won't stand.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

The previous governor, Jerry Brown, wouldn't sign it because he (correctly) thought it unconstitutional. But Gavin Newsom went ahead, so yes, it will certainly be litigated and overturned.

California's gone nuts, and New York, too.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat