OT: TurboTax Question

Unusual tax situation last year (TY2017):

Had a gig that required me to sign-on as a temporary W-2 employee.

Then I was hit by the pancreatic cancer, couldn't work, yet was paid the normal accrued sick leave, then canned.

THEN: They had me apply for short-term disability pay from their insurance carrier, who paid me for about 2-months until I could resume normal work (for another client).

So the question is, which TurboTax version covers the forms required for this situation?

Complications (of course :-), I've been receiving Social Security benefits for 13 years, as well as Medicare, etc.

(TurboTax seems in the throes of final collapse into Micro$hit junk... nowhere on their site can I just ask, "Which version?" :-( ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

No help here at least not directly. I have tried some of the tax software programs and did not especially like Turbo tax. So am using Freetaxusa. I t is free for federal taxes and costs a bit for state income tax software.

You may or may not like Freetaxusa. It is pretty straight forward, does no t try to do every thing by asking questions. Their help is pretty good and fairly quick. Anyway would not cost much to try it It will import last y ears tax even those where Turbotax was used. Might be able to import from this years turbo tax data.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I'm not a tax lawyer but unless you paid the insurance premiums, I don't think it's any different than if you were paid a salary for those months. How does your W2 show the payment? As income?

Unless you were asking a different question (than insurance taxability)...

Don't believe they matter, either. Unless there are other complications, I think the basic TTax works.

Reply to
krw

I'm no tax expert, but I've been doing my small biz taxes using Turbot Tacks Deluxe version for many years. Although the web pile doesn't mention it, Deluxe has everything you need if you are self employed.

This MIGHT help (no warranty expressed or implied):

For which forms are included, go to the bottom of: and click on "View Forms". To maximize confusion, all 4 Turbot Tacks packages return the same list of forms.

I ran into the same problem when I forgot what version I had been using. So, I went to the site, entered my situation, and was told that I needed to buy their most expensive version. It also tried to get me to subscribe to the online version, sometimes sending me to an online web page, without ever telling me it had switched from the CD version to the online version.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I use the H&R Block install-on-your-computer tax program, they send me a DVD every year. it has ALL the federal tax forms in it, so if their "interview" mode doesn't cover the situation (which I doubt it would) you can enter stuff manually. I have a small business plus a "day job" so my taxes are complicated. Business use of home, depreciated equipment, mileage, advertising, etc. It handles all this stuff, mostly without having to go "behind the curtain" and fiddle with forms directly.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

DVD

ew"

That's why it's dumb to try to do this yourself. You can get a CPA firm to bang out returns, file, assume liability due to error and represent you in the event the IRS audits or has questions, as well as provide financial adv ice tailored to your situation, for around $250. What may look complicated and cumbersome to you is a piece of cake to those people.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

if you like to DIY, you might like this

you have to do the thinking, this just does the math

mark

Reply to
makolber

On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 3:51:51 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wro te:

o bang out returns, file, assume liability due to error and represent you i n the event the IRS audits or has questions, as well as provide financial a dvice tailored to your situation, for around $250. What may look complicate d and cumbersome to you is a piece of cake to those people.

Sometimes I think you are right, but I still do my own taxes. Doing them y ourself makes you aware of how one is doing, what increases your taxes and what helps to lower them. But it is not for everyone. I have been doing m y own income taxes for sixty plus years so the learning curve has not been too bad. I pity anyone who tries to get up to speed on 2017 taxes comparabl e to mine without having ever filled out income taxes before 2017.

Doing 2018 income taxes ought to be a lot simpler.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

if you have a registered business at home, claim aection of as office space, have a bank account attached to the business name, Tax number, Claim your cars as being used in the business etc.. you need "Home & Business"

If all you do is accept 1099's from those that pay you for your sevices then you can use the Deluxe. It also takes care of retirement funds, SSI, bank interest, Insurance payouts for down time etc..

etc..

Reply to
M Philbrook