OT Tunnel 6

Great book:

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

No love for the Great Northern RR? built on a smaller budget with fewer casualties, thru rougher terrain with no "stimulus" money and much less drama/politicking

And hey at least they're honest where they got it from in the ads I guess:

Reply to
bitrex

The intercontinental railway was built many years before that one, with men, shovels, mules, and black powder. It was an astounding piece of construction... during the Civil War. The Central Pacific/Union Pacific created the real United States.

And I can hike through the old tunnels of the Central Pacific, and see the original drill holes and walk on the China Wall. I used to work on Judah Street and I still ski on Mount Judah.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Where is that? I've been in one of the old no-longer-used tunnels near the Donner pass.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Right, Donner Pass. Tunnel 6 is the longest of this segment.

I took some relatives through it yesterday and we had sandwiches and beer on one of the occasional ledges that branch off the snow sheds.

This is worth seeing, for anyone who is driving west on I80.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

the name "China Wall" would seem to indicate whom this real American project was built by in large part....

Reply to
bitrex

You are completely obsessed by race. You seem very ill-adjusted to whatever color you are.

Sure, a lot of Chinese worked on the railroad.

And a lot of other people. They did it for the money.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Of course the Canadian transcontinental railroad was finished in 1867, but never mind.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Gosh that's a lot of subtext to read into one sentence of commentary!

It seemed a little odd to bring up the China Wall in relation to this summary of the history of an American project without at least also mentioning in passing what it is, for those unfamiliar, don't you think?

Reply to
bitrex

The Canadian transcontinental railroad was built by the Scottish, the American transcontinental railroad was built by the Irish and Chinese, the Great Northern was built by the Canadians, and the Panama Canal was built by Americans and West Indies/Africans

Or something like that...

Reply to
bitrex

Wikipedia says 1885, with the first coast-to-coast passenger train in

1886.

Still impressive.

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

It's your constant theme.

Most people have access to Google.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Something indeed.

"Many thousands of navvies worked on the railway. Many were European immigrants. In British Columbia, government contractors hired workers from China, known as "coolies". A navvy received between $1 and $2.50 per day, but had to pay for his own food, clothing, transport to the job site, mail and medical care. After 2?1/2 months of hard labour, they could net as little as $16. Chinese labourers in British Columbia made only between 75 cents and $1.25 a day, paid in rice mats, and not including expenses, leaving barely anything to send home. They did the most dangerous construction jobs, such as working with explosives to clear tunnels through rock.[20] The exact number of Chinese workers who died is unknown."

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I do have a suspicion that if a peculiar class of refugee made up of millions of 27 y/o hot Swedish blonde women, with no other skills, were swarming our southern border attempting to enter our country illegally or to seek asylum it would not be possible to make any profit building detention centers for them. I admit that.

It's probably OK to use the memorial to workers who died as a foot path as it was designed that way but I figured it might be, y'know, respectful or something to mention what it was for in the description

Reply to
bitrex

The China Wall isn't a memorial, it's part of a railroad. The sign is a memorial, and I have never walked on the sign.

Again, google allows anyone interested to look things up.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I see. So the wall itself is not now considered a memorial, but is still considered part of a railroad. However you can walk on the railroad but you can't walk on the sign, which is the actual memorial, but is not the wall, which is a railroad that you walk on.

This is a very confusing tour.

Reply to
bitrex

Speaking of trains this is one of the best train-hours on the Internet:

Reply to
bitrex

I sure hope that you don't design electronics.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Bitrex has a rather wider repertoire than that.

John Larkin's enthusiasm wildly inaccurate abuse is a lot better represented in his posts that any kind of racism in the posts that bitrex pushes out.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

John Larkin lives in mortal terror of competion from people who can design electronics, not realising that his particular skill is in looking like somebody who can design electronics in the eyes of people who can't.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney