[OT] Took the linux plunge... which news reader?

I just got for a new PC and before committing suicide with M$ I wanted to take that opportunity to try, hem, some alt OS. Went for ubuntu and after one hour briefing from a friend (I didn't speak *nix at all) I was much impressed by the easiness of installation. Less than 2 days later I have my machine OK with all the needed software running on it, on a well organized and faster machine (build almost the same for the wife, but with XP) all that starting from zero knowledge on my side. I probably won't switch back to .$. Ever.

Now to the question. Which newsreader do you, you *nix users, use? After trying some unsatisfying ones, I found PAN, from which I'm posting right now, that I find pretty good, but I wonider if there are other good ones to try before I make the final choice.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

The worst but convinence one: Google.

Reply to
linnix

tin ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

On a sunny day (13 Aug 2007 16:29:38 GMT) it happened Fred Bartoli wrote in :

Well, taste differs. When I moved from win3.1 to Linux, the only thing I missed was Free Agent. That was 10 years ago, so I wrote my own (with some modifications):

Never used an other one since, this one is speed optimized for dial up. It is very fast. You need xforms development package and some more stuff to compile it. Of course this is the best newsreader that exists :-) Well I really think so actually. :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Some things depend on what Desktop Environment you are using:

(or which libraries you are willing to install).

Reply to
JeffM

FWIW, I like Pan enough that I even use it on Windows.

OTOH, downloading binaries was a major consideration, which reduced the choice to Pan vs BNR2, and BNR2 generally sucks.

Pan's main drawback is that it's a memory hog on busy groups (summary information is stored uncompressed in memory). The development version is better in this regard, although it wasn't stable enough for normal use the last time I tried it (over a year ago).

Reply to
Nobody

Try them all, some will impress you more then others, then you can chose what _you_ like. Something to do for few weeks. I relegated 'Mail&Newsgroups' work to SeaMonkey and for the peanuts it does what I need. From long time with Linux, find a comfortable pillow and "if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Stanislaw Slack12 user from Ulladulla.

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto

This guy has given this a lot of thought:

*-*-*-*-*-stalled+*.my.list.of.recommended.*.newsreaders+Pan+Windows+don't.recommend+non.graphical+claws+slrn+tin-*-gnus+Python+zz-zz+XPN

Reply to
JeffM

I'm using pan right now. The only thing it won't do is attach files; for that I use knode, which comes with KDE. The KDE stuff has nice eye candy, but pan just feels more utilitarian and robust.

And I _love_ its plonkfilter. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Before I went GUI, I was using slrn and slrnpull, but I don't like slrn's non-intuitive interface - it reminds me too much of vi. =:-O

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Has this been fixed? ...or are you less demanding?

't-filter-on-that-field+qq+PANnews:f19pt9$tld$ snipped-for-privacy@jasen.is-a-geek.org

Reply to
JeffM

't-filter-on-that-field+qq+PAN

I don't even know what this means.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

You can use thunderbrd for usenet.

I'm not impressed with Ubuntu. In general, the bigger the distribution, the less compilation you have to do yourself. Ubuntu is rather light. It also won't load on my amd 64 machine.

Fry's just finished dumping their 300G drives ($50 off, i.e. $59 for

300G), so I put one in my AMD64 box just to try out some other linux distributions. Amazingly, other than suse, not one installed without errors. Many booted, but could start xwindows. [Tested were ubuntu, debian(lenny and edge) and freebsd, Solaris 10, now free from Sun, kind of installed. I'm not sure all was well with it, but I think I could get it bug free. Note that only Solaris and Suse found my Nvidia ethernet port.

I think if you could get it to install, debian would be a good distribution. It has a full DVD worth of binaries. Compilation is a pain. Sometimes there are other dependent programs that need to be installed first, so it can get complicated.

At the moment, the only distribution that "sees" my software RAID is Suse 10.2.

Granted, I have complicated things going with an AMD64. Intel installs should be better tested.

Reply to
miso

Which is what I'm doing at this very moment. It's as good as any Windows reader I've used, and a big relief from the text-based readers so many tout.

John Perry

Reply to
John E. Perry

Late at night, by candle light, Rich Grise penned this immortal opus:

When on FreeBSD I rather liked slrn. Setting it up is a bit of a chore but after that it's a breeze. Keep a second VT with the list of ctrl-key commands in the help file.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

Good choice. I just switched after many years with RH/Fedora and half a year with Suse.

Thunderbird, but I've never tried Pan.

Reply to
Matt

Matt wrote in news:tcZwi.14006$ya1.5237 @news02.roc.ny:

I've use Pan for binary groups. Never did text groups with it though.

Reply to
Gary Tait