OT: Today's HoneyDo Project

Today's HoneyDo Project

Too many glasses, had to add...

Mounted 18" down from ceiling (9' ceiling) so I can reach ;-)

48" wide by 22" deep

Mean to work inside that narrow a space. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I see the bin labels are the large print edition. ;-)

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Give me a break. Today I planted B&B clump amelanchier canadensis with ball dimensions of 24 x 24 x 18 inches of water saturated clay. At about 110 lb s per cubic foot

27.html), this thing came in at between 500 and 600 Lbs, there is a slight taper to the cut so it's not a full 6 Ft^3. I had to hoist it about 250 ft to the planting location with an appliance dolly, dig a level hole to relat ively precise dimensions, wrestle it into the hole, level it, flood it with 20 gals water, berm it, mulch it, admire it- about a two hour job- dunno w hy it always takes me so long.
Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Relative fun. I spent about 9 hours last weekend trying to fix the leak in the living room ceiling. I've been battling this one for 15 years, and have got damned good at sheetrock repair.

There's a flat, roofed deck just above, with a sliding glass door. A couple years ago, I had the whole deck re-roofed and a new sliding door assembly installed. It still leaked.

  1. Why are all contractors such jerks?
  2. Why are all consumer products, regardless of price, such crap?

The roofing material should have gone UNDER the door frame. It didn't.

People don't do carpentry any more, they use construction adhesive. Makes things hard to work on. Trim boards come off with a chisel, one wood sliver at a time.

The door frame is a bunch of insanely complex plastic extrusions, designed to trap water in every possible place.

Among other things, I seriously hacked the door frame with a Dremel to make channels to let the water out. A lot came out.

It doesn't rain here all summer, so the first winter storm, all the streets flood, all the hills slide, all the roofs leak, all at once. Sandbags everywhere in The Mission. People forget how to drive in the rain and have to re-learn it.

At least there's snow in the mountains, which makes it worth it.

 Click to see the full signature

all dimensions of 24 x 24 x 18 inches of water saturated clay. At about 110 lbs per cubic foot

_1727.html), this thing came in at between 500 and 600 Lbs, there is a slig ht taper to the cut so it's not a full 6 Ft^3. I had to hoist it about 250 ft to the planting location with an appliance dolly, dig a level hole to re latively precise dimensions, wrestle it into the hole, level it, flood it w ith 20 gals water, berm it, mulch it, admire it- about a two hour job- dunn o why it always takes me so long.

Do you have any idea what the peak rainfall rate was? I heard the total the re was only about 1.5", but, if it all comes down at once, it causes proble ms. A flat roof is anything less than 3 in 12 rise to run, they're non-triv ial and require more than just slapping down a membrane.

Well, it's not the roofing material but the "flashing" that's the problem. Grace is the de facto leader in state of the art flashing products.

(surprisingly HomeDepot actually carries it...)

...is one example of their conformable, self-adhering, and easily installed product. Sounds like you need to lap it 4-6" minimum.

That doesn't sound right...Sounds like the door frame is too low on the roo f deck. Tell the whiz you want an internal open gutter installed along the entire length of wall of the door, you'll need some kind of perforated meta l grate covering the part where you step out the door. ( and this gutter ne eds slope -duh)

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Another possibility is the door frame was installed upside down...

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I doubt that it ever hit 1" per hour. But our house looks down into a wind tunnel called The Alamany Gap, so we get bursts of fat drops going 50 MPH horizontally. That drives water into every nook and cranny; sort of like having standing water on the *side* of the house.

Most roofs here are flat, with no visible pitch. I can walk most of the block on peoples' roofs. The deck is basically a flat roof, too. Tar and gravel construction.

Too late now! I'd have to remove the entire sliding door thingie to get under it.

The frame is about 3" up, so it's not getting drowned. The projectile water is hitting the glass, filling the channal below, and then getting into the complex plastic structure.

So many things that I buy need to be redesigned. Consumer products are such crap.

(I thought you'd enjoy a good bitchy world-gone-to-hell rant.)

 Click to see the full signature

Yep. Brother P-Touch label maker. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Check all the flashing. The only roof leak that drove me nuts trying to find turned out to be wind-driven rain going sideways under the flashing that was located between the flat patio roof and the sloped portion over the kitchen. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

OT, but are honeydews the melon or the secretion?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Honey_Do_ in other words a project for SWMBO ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 12:20:41 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

I know what it means but...

I thought that was

SWMNDAE

(Single White Male Never Divorced, Always Enslaved...) :-)

Glance at it quick and squinty eyed, and it looks like you are her Sunday treat.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

How certain is it that this is a leak? Condensation could cause soggy drywall under a cold roof surface. That's why there's ventilation for most roof structures. Convection-type ventilation mightn't work well on a flat roof...

Reply to
whit3rd

It starts dripping when it rains hard... definitely a leak.

When it rains, and the ceiling looks damp, I quickly punch a hole in the sheetrock to let the water out. That's easier to patch than letting the whole area get soggy.

 Click to see the full signature

I'm always happy to oblige >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

h ball dimensions of 24 x 24 x 18 inches of water saturated clay. At about

110 lbs per cubic foot
s-d_1727.html), this thing came in at between 500 and 600 Lbs, there is a s light taper to the cut so it's not a full 6 Ft^3. I had to hoist it about 2 50 ft to the planting location with an appliance dolly, dig a level hole to relatively precise dimensions, wrestle it into the hole, level it, flood i t with 20 gals water, berm it, mulch it, admire it- about a two hour job- d unno why it always takes me so long.

there was only about 1.5", but, if it all comes down at once, it causes pro blems. A flat roof is anything less than 3 in 12 rise to run, they're non-t rivial and require more than just slapping down a membrane.

m. Grace is the de facto leader in state of the art flashing products.

led product. Sounds like you need to lap it 4-6" minimum.

roof deck. Tell the whiz you want an internal open gutter installed along t he entire length of wall of the door, you'll need some kind of perforated m etal grate covering the part where you step out the door. ( and this gutter needs slope -duh)

Get a less complicated door and install it with "pan flashing."

r-exterior-wall-openings

The door you have now either defeats the pan flashing or the pan flashing w as not installed or both.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I just ordered a 10m length USB borescope camera, $20 from Amazon. Next time it rains, I'll drill a bunch of holes in the ceiling and scope the top of the sheetrock, to see where the water is coming from. Small holes are easy to patch.

The borescope should be handy for other things, like scoping pipes or seeing what things have fallen into the crack behind my workbench.

The one I bought looks like a generic camera to Win XP, but needs software installed for Win7. Why did Microsoft break the generic USB camera interface?

 Click to see the full signature

with ball dimensions of 24 x 24 x 18 inches of water saturated clay. At abo ut 110 lbs per cubic foot

ties-d_1727.html), this thing came in at between 500 and 600 Lbs, there is a slight taper to the cut so it's not a full 6 Ft^3. I had to hoist it abou t 250 ft to the planting location with an appliance dolly, dig a level hole to relatively precise dimensions, wrestle it into the hole, level it, floo d it with 20 gals water, berm it, mulch it, admire it- about a two hour job

- dunno why it always takes me so long.

al there was only about 1.5", but, if it all comes down at once, it causes problems. A flat roof is anything less than 3 in 12 rise to run, they're no n-trivial and require more than just slapping down a membrane.

't.

blem. Grace is the de facto leader in state of the art flashing products.

talled product. Sounds like you need to lap it 4-6" minimum.

ne

he roof deck. Tell the whiz you want an internal open gutter installed alon g the entire length of wall of the door, you'll need some kind of perforate d metal grate covering the part where you step out the door. ( and this gut ter needs slope -duh)

g was not installed or both.

You can scope out all the mold growth and structural member rot too.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Ever cheerful, Freddy!

 Click to see the full signature

On Thu, 18 Dec 2014 07:52:49 -0800, John Larkin Gave us:

He had just gotten done looking at his dick.