OT: The speed and strategy of google

I made a new page for my website, friday afternoon: 2010-03-04 15:37 added some asm code too 2010-03-05 16:23

Tried to post it to Linksys formum, but could not login because adds covered the log in screen, tried several browsers, and also did a google search for 'linksys login problems website forum'. So, I did not tell anybody about that new link, and did not publish it. Was wondering if I should mention the URL in a Usenet group, but was not sure if it was enough on topic.

Thought: 'Maybe google will pick it up in a few weeks'. Few weeks? 66.249.65.55 crawl-66-249-65-55.googlebot.com - - [06/Mar/2010:08:14:35 +0100] "GET /panteltje/wap54g/iowap-0.7.asm HTTP/1.1" 200 94050

Few hours!

Now I started looking at the logs, and it makes no sense, no reason for google to index that page, it could not know it has changed.

So I suspect google these days uses some association algo, my search with 'linksys' in it, and it knows my website has 'linksys' in it, it must have deduced to revisit the related pages. So, conclusion: Nothing is hidden anymore, the computers from Google are in control.

Now let me test if it has already added it to it's search database: google iowap-0.7.asm Not found....

Same for code.google.com

Takes a while to process, or that was not google?

Logans Run, seen that movie?

Google the new government????

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

the log in screen,

problems website forum'.

if it was enough on topic.

"GET /panteltje/wap54g/iowap-0.7.asm HTTP/1.1" 200 94050

to index that page,

'linksys' in it,

the related pages.

control.

Google indexes web pages. You don't like that?

If you don't want your web site to be indexed, why do you put up a web site?

The good thing about google, and maybe other search things, is that a small company can design a product, put up a web page, and have the world find/see their stuff in days, almost free. And the googld ads thing has created thousands (millions?) of spin-off web sites that will happily post your press releases and leave them up approximately forever.

Why is everybody down on google just because they are the best search engine?

John

On a sunny day (Sat, 06 Mar 2010 06:59:33 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

I want to be indexed what I want to be indexed, when I want it, nothing else. I think you do not understand the issues.

Foe example in Germany saving connection data and storing that, has just been declared illegal by the German high court. Now that is for ISPs, telcos, and gov, and how funny as the next day they were already starting (last monday IIRC) to erase 800 Terabyte of user traffic data. Many scandals have happened about user data, like credit cards, phone numbers, social security numbers, insurance data, political involvement being leaked and sold for much money on the black market. Now there is a motion in Germany to have a closer look at what *google* stores about people on it servers. It is vastly more then that meager 800 TB from gov and ISPs. And that data is not safe.

Google does useful work indexing the internet, but it gets harder and harder to get rid of it in your servers, it has an algo to crack passwords and enter forbidden sites and scan those too, like internal company networks, how would

*you* like your designs indexed and made available by direct links to you harddisk? And then there is that copyright -book- scanning issue. An old saying goes: 'Information is power', and with all that information in the hands of a multinational, and you know, google has large bases in many countries, one not far from here, those multinationals gain control over everything, even you nuclear weapons and their designs, They may make a profile of you that is available for anyone, friend an enemy, And they have no accountability to the people at all, work across borders, and use systems that are hidden, and dark structures not open for review. They push for everything online, getting access to all you do, all your data, espionage? That is antique, google knows everything.

So what? Thats is not the issue, see what I just wrote.

The adds pollute the net, changed internet from a communication medium to a trip in the London subway...

Not sure they are the best, in the hands of the wrong people they are total control of humans.

Your governator (for however long he will still be) once fought the machines, must have given him some support in his election.... Terminator1, terminator2, terminator3... I watched 'pitch black' last night, with Vin Diesel, in German, for the second time. I think he was better then your governator.

Your postings has been stored, analysed by the NASA for subversive actions, analysed by google for targeted personal adds (came up with chocolate), you are classified as a type C structure number 191329861284893, your insurance company has bough the results, the tax office has bought he results, the local supermarket has bought the results, your personal files and pictures have been copied and stored, will be manipulated and sold back to you, next you will have to pay

100$ a week to KnowEverything Ltd to not have those naked airport scans published and searchable on the net. etc etc.. Hello? Still there? Pull the RJ45 now!!
Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Web sites are public. If you don't want everybody to see your stuff, don't put it on a public web site. Use a password login, or encrypt it, or use an ftp site, or just keep it to yourself.

Face it: you put your source code on a web site because you want other people to see it. So don't whine because they can.

already starting

social security numbers,

the black market.

about people on it servers.

John

On a sunny day (Sat, 06 Mar 2010 07:56:05 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

The issue was about the search methods!

already starting

social security numbers,

the black market.

about people on it servers.

Old hat, 1999, last century, Sun has been sold. That brings up the question : How much does Oracle have access to?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

already starting

social security numbers,

the black market.

about people on it servers.

Now that is something you should back up with source. Link etc.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

red the log in screen,

roblems website forum'.

sure if it was enough on topic.

5 +0100] "GET /panteltje/wap54g/iowap-0.7.asm HTTP/1.1" 200 94050

oogle to index that page,

'linksys' in it,

sit the related pages.

in control.

I can't follow the above, but based on the replies, here's what you need to do:

Try using the index and noindex HTML tags, also follow and nofollow. Most search engines comply with these tags, but not all.

For stuff you don't want indexed on engines that don't comply, then put those pages on a protected directory. That should solve the problem.

Reply to
mpm
[...]

It's like MS, they have done some really nice things. Such as creating the best search engine there is, Google maps, patent search and so on. Then there are the not so nice sides where ethics come into play. Like the spam from their mail domain and zero reaction when you write to them pointing it out. This was written in professional style, not inflammatory or anything. Action as well as inaction has consequences.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

the log in screen,

problems website forum'.

if it was enough on topic.

+0100] "GET /panteltje/wap54g/iowap-0.7.asm HTTP/1.1" 200 94050

Did you ever stop and think that it might have been picked up in a scheduled scan, and if you had posted it a few hours later they would have missed it?

--
Greed is the root of all eBay.
Reply to

Jan Panteltje wibbled on Saturday 06 March 2010 15:46

robots.txt is your friend

--
Tim Watts

Tim Watts

the log in screen,

problems website forum'.

if it was enough on topic.

+0100] "GET /panteltje/wap54g/iowap-0.7.asm HTTP/1.1" 200 94050

Sounds about right. At most a few days typically if it is linked to from a moderately popular page. Most people are pleased that the Google index of all global web pages is generally fairly up to date.

google to index that page,

Make another change and see how long before you get visited again.

'linksys' in it,

the related pages.

control.

But if you wrap the hidden stuff within an hardly any web crawlers can get at it even though humans can. I don't trust them all to honour the NOINDEX tags. But I am fairly sure that at the moment IFRAME content pages are not scanned by any major search engine.

I've never had a problem with Google indexing things it isn't meant to.

Although the morons who run the HM Treasury website have - that is how all that AGW denialist propaganda appeared deep linked to the outside world and indexed on Google by accident. A spokesman for the Ministry of Incompetance and Silly Walks said "You were only supposed to look at it through the official front page index" which contains a disclaimer.

No wonder all UK government computer projects end in tears.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

On a sunny day (Sat, 06 Mar 2010 17:01:13 +0000) it happened Tim Watts wrote in :

Robots.txt is an inpotent joke :-) What works is something like this entry in the firewall: -A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 20:21 -m iprange --src-range

66.249.64.0-66.249.95.255 -j DROP that keeps google out of my ftp server (port 20 and 21). But that *completely* blocks it.

But since a few month whois xxxxx not always gives the IP range as the ADVERTISERS spammers objected to the IP addresses assigned to their whole imperium being made known?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 06 Mar 2010 08:21:19 -0800) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Google for it!

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Old rule: He who makes a grave accusation shall bring the proof :-)

Or as the ancient folks used to say, hic Rhodos, hic salta.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

the log in screen,

There's a Firefox add-on called Aardvark that let's you remove unwanted junk from a page. I use it before printing. It probably would remove whatever obscured your login screen.

Beryl

On a sunny day (Sat, 06 Mar 2010 11:27:05 -0800) it happened Joerg wrote in :

enter

I will not be intimidated. This is what I have read in the news, do your own research. Quote me on that!

F*ck the ancient folks, and Greece is bankrupt too.

:-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 06 Mar 2010 11:55:26 -0800) it happened Beryl wrote in :

the log in screen,

I managed to get rid of the adds in Opera by disabling flash, the adds was a huge flash thing over most of the screen, but then I Opera gave an error when trying to send the password (no password error, but site access error). I think this could have to do with Linksys.com being renamed to

and them reVAMPing the website. Try typing linksys.com in your browser.

For me with stuff like that they are out :-) Latest Firefox does not run on my system as it needs some gtk stuff that does niot compile. My old firefox-3, named 'minefield' is just that, it crashes and hangs frequenctly, and could not access that login either for the same reason, I dare not install any add-on on it.... those come with spyware too.

Anyways, thanks for the help.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Well, they have the space for it.

;-)

-- "Electricity is of two kinds, positive and negative. The difference is, I presume, that one comes a little more expensive, but is more durable; the other is a cheaper thing, but the moths get into it." (Stephen Leacock)

Reply to
Fred Abse

harder

enter

I haven't seen anything in that respect, and quite frankly I can't believe it.

They've always liked to live high on the hog, even in ancient times :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Google robots.txt

*you*

Nonsense. Many websites allow google to index password protected content to get google to direct more visitors to paid content.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel