OT: The Radioactive Boy Scout

Does anyone remember this case?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Hahn

I would have thought any parent that had such a child should be extremely
proud of them. Certainly if this had happened prior to the 1980s, that
would have been the case. Today such a young person would be smeared and
feared as some sort of would-be terrorist weirdo and dangerous to the
"community" (whatever the fuck that is). The authorities nowadays - in
the West at any rate - despise and fear anyone unusually intelligent,
curious and adventurous for their age. They seem horrified when a young
person shows no interest in being enslaved by the entertainment industry
and chooses to pursue something more challenging and rewarding instead.
:(

Re: OT: The Radioactive Boy Scout

"He was subsequently treated for mental illness, and his death at age thirty-nine was related to alcohol use."  He died of alcohol poisoning and was a nut case.  Yes, a child to be proud of.

Rick C.

Re: OT: The Radioactive Boy Scout

He was clearly too smart for his peers. Kids with unusually inquiring
minds often struggle socially, having no one to relate to. Must have been
a lonely existence. He was born on the wrong planet.

Re: OT: The Radioactive Boy Scout

Albert Einstein and Richard Feynman coped with that particular problem, rat
her more successfully, probably because they were a whole lot smarter.

David Hahn might have been bright - though the fact that he was careless ab
out handling radioactive materials suggests that he wasn't all that clever
- but he might also have been somewhere on the autism spectrum which would
fit better with his dubious social relationships.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: The Radioactive Boy Scout

I've just started watching "Young Sheldon" ("Big Bang Theory"
prequel)...

Mike.

Re: OT: The Radioactive Boy Scout

Remember this one?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_U-238_Atomic_Energy_Laboratory

Re: OT: The Radioactive Boy Scout

Nope.  I was 3 years old when it was introduced.

<http://daily-grind.net/most-dangerous-toys-from-the-50s-gilbert-u-238-atomic-energy-lab/

In 2002, I did a thallium treadmill stress test.  Afterwards, I went
around to some of my customers with a Geiger counter doing a live demo
of radioactivity.  I got some surprising reactions.  Here's the story
from a previous rant on the topic:
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci.electronics.design/gOBgs26oHpA/O_16ik1D5xQJ

Re: OT: The Radioactive Boy Scout

A genius idea in principle if not in practice!

Re: OT: The Radioactive Boy Scout
On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 23:40:17 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom

Feel the power!  Be the first on your street to rule the neighborhood.
The next stop will be global domination.

"13-year-old Jamie Edwards has become the youngest in the world to
build a nuclear fusion reactor"
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2573998/I-star-jar-13-year-old-youngest-person-world-build-NUCLEAR-FUSION-REACTOR.html

Science blunders onward...

Re: OT: The Radioactive Boy Scout

Hahn committed a number of serious crimes to conduct his experiments
including fraud and whatever statues he violated related to making your
own home into a Superfund cleanup site, sounds like for all that he was
never convicted or maybe even charged with anything and was admitted to
college, then successfully joined and was honorably discharged from the
military.

They went easy on him but naturally "the authorities" are the bad guys
here. Well that's gratitude for ya. There are kids in the US who are
barred from getting a government loan or grant for college or joining
the military forever for selling like 1 oz of weed.

Re: OT: The Radioactive Boy Scout

Presumably he was investigating the "sphinx's inscrutable smile"...

Mike.

Site Timeline