OT: The land is rising

I know I shouldn't, but this is just too funny.

"It isn't that the sea level is dropping -- it's that the land is springing back up."

So where I live in Maine, it will keep getting colder and the sea levels will drop. Global warming is like the lottery winners in Orwell's 1984. It always somebody you don't know, who lives very far away.

Reply to
Wanderer

Yeah I think most of Canada is still rebounding from the last ice age. You can see this is tide height data over the past several hundred years.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

in Scandinavia, the land is bouncing back due to isostasy

by 3-10 mm each year. I guess the amount is similar in Canada.

However, already in the Netherlands, the surface is sinking by several millimeters each year.

Reply to
upsidedown

The Netherlands are basically all river delta, mud and sand. What would you expect?

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
jeroen Belleman

Both theories are wrong. It's the sky that's falling.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com