OT: The big one and the small one KABOOM

Airbus hits small plane on taxi way

Jan Panteltje

I think the airbus's tail would have ripped off if it was hit. That little jet is well made.

Martin Riddle

Could it be an urban legend?

John

Reply to
John KD5YI

I guess we'll find out. That air France 380 wreckage was located and will be recovered by the end of the month. Composites don't lie when they fail.

Martin Riddle

I hope the Airbuss had a valid insurance card :/

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Flight 447 Tail located..

Martin Riddle

I suspect that it's ground control that should be concerned.

"Tower to A380, you are clear to taxi ... oops; no you're not".

Reply to
Nobody

Hmm, and what we learn from this little accident? Even the A380 is still too small. Would the A380 bigger, and the wings higher, it would not happen. Too big plane for the most airports. :-)

--
Gruss
Mark

On a sunny day (Tue, 12 Apr 2011 19:43:55 -0400) it happened "Martin Riddle" wrote in :

Recently some 737 ? had a hole in the cabin due to metal fatique. They found a few more ready to blow when they started inspecting those models. So, metal, or carbon fiber? Carbon fiber has no metal fatique, but maybe other problems. It is lighter for the same strength, that is good.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

it was a 737, Boeing had made a change to how it was assembled I believe I read that a small airline here has a few of the affected series but they still about few years of flying before they reached the number of hours boeing now says they need to expect for the error, so it is not something that happens over night.

flight 587 that lost its tail over new york shortly after 9/11 was an airbus made at least in part of composite

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Apart from anything else, composites are a newer technology, while metal is tried and tested. Any new technology has teething problems.

OTOH, if you let that stop you, we wouldn't have air travel in the first place.

Reply to
Nobody

That was a Southwest flight out of Phoenix last week, bound for Sacramento... bailed into Yuma Air Station... must have been fun for the passengers... lots of fighter training there :-)

METAL fatigue. ...Jim Thompson