OT: Thanks!

To all of you who recommended Foxit PhantomPDF, Thanks!

As I learn all its bells and whistles I find it a far superior product compared to Adobe Acrobat.

Besides, Adobe Acrobat is going to the "subscription" (aka fascist) model).

That seems to be the scheme playing in the minds of the Micro$hit moguls and their sycophants... ultimately heading to forcing everything into the cloud and cutting you off from your data unless you pay a monthly "rent" :-( ...Jim Thompson

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 08:50:58 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

So run Linux and use a VirtualBox app for your Windows needs.

Get modern yet still be able to run vulnerable Windows 7 in a secured, segmented environment.

Easy, greasy, Americanezy.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I am in the process of moving from XP to Win 7, even though I don't want to. I haven't installed anything to read PDF, but I did install PDF995 to create them. I bought a used Dell Optiplex 780 SFF and another in the mini tower case. It has a 3.00 GHz quad processor and 4 GB of DDR3 RAM, it it can take up to 16 GB. The SFF was a little over $50, and the mini tower was just under $100 after I used a $10 credit from Paypal, and another from Ebay. They had Win 7 pro COA stickers, so I installed that on the wiped drives.

I will either have to find different software for Usenet, or not bother reading it anymore. Supposedly 32 bit software will run on this OS and the software is 32 bit, but Win 7 just thumbs its nose at me and tells me it can't install the software.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

What are you trying to install? Agent v7.20/32.1218 installed just fine on my new Dell OptiPlex 7020 in Program Files (x86) ...Jim Thompson

I like my old XP box. I can DO stuff on it. If there could be UAC in XP I w ould keep it forever. In fact I still got it. My basement server, got most of my movies and music on it though I use that very rarely. Funny how it se emed so important back when I was downloading everything.

Bottom line though, the next time "they" "upgrade" and require me to do som ething I am seriously considering becoming Decadenntlinxusernumeroduo. I go t a copy of Ubuntu floating around here somewhere. Problem is when I went t o install it on a dual boot system I did not know you have to install it BE FORE Windows. It wasn't my PC and I said fukit and wiped the partitions and just threw Widows on it. The guy who owns it had had a bit of experience w ith Linux but is not an advanced user. It would have been nice but he didn' t care all that much, just get the thing working.

I want 98SE back. Hell, I bet a modern virus would not run in it. Security by obsolescence. In fact I am looking for a box I can run 98SE on, and I th ink I can scare up a disk, but lost the serial number. But then you can fin d those on the net.

It really is not that hard. I am still running Office 97 Pro. Now dig this, to install it I used the code for Win95. I'll tell you, it is not going to bring the fedralis to my door - 26996-OEM-0015521-91112. It works for 95, Office 97 and the Microsoft Works from that era.

Reply to
jurb6006

I'm going the other way, using VirtualBox and maybe soon Qubes/Xen.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Sounds like time for Linux.

--

Rick
Reply to

I was told that XP has all the same protections as Vista, Vista just turned them on by default while XP has it all turned off by default. Is that not correct?

Win 98 didn't need viruses. It was the worst OS ever. After installing drivers for a couple of years Win98 would start crapping out a couple times a day.

--

Rick
Reply to

I recently transitioned from XP to W7. It's not bad. Seems pretty stable.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Nitro Pro is pretty good, too. I have version 8, and they are begging (but not requiring) me to upgrade to v10 for about $50.

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

I am using Netscape 4.78 for Usenet. I have used various versions, since I first went online in 1997 and I will lose a huge archive of messages and old email records that go back to the mid '90s. I have tried the later versions, under Seamonkey and Thunderbird but both sucked. They are crap, when it comes to handling long threads.

I have used Xnews for binary groups. It is a pain, but it would let me handle newer message formats for multiple part messages.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Phil, I don't feel well enough to even bother going online these days. I am thinking about selling off my test equipment and the rest of my workshop. I don't sleep well, anymore and I am losing interest in electronics after more than 50 years.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I believe there is Free Agent... haven't used it in _many_ years. You might want to try that. ...Jim Thompson

I got Foxit PhantomPDF for $57.85... I was doing the free trial when they up and offered a 35% discount... I jumped at it ;-) ...Jim Thompson

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 16:28:37 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

You expose yourself as being so ass backwards so often.. It really is pathetic. Then Terrell posted. You got bumped.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

I haven't used PhantomPDF, but I have used Foxit reader for many years - it is much faster than Acrobat Reader, and far fewer security problems.

For pdf "printing", I use PdfCreator - it's free and has all the features I need for typical usage. For office-style documents, LibreOffice has direct pdf generation, and for more serious documents pdfLaTeX generates pdfs.

(On Linux, I use evince, cups, LibreOffice and pdfLaTeX for most of my pdf needs.)

Reply to
David Brown

I'm sorry to hear that Michael, it has been a while since I've seen a post from you. I don't suppose more drugs are an option.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I'm sorry to hear that, Mike. We'll keep you in our prayers.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I'd be happy if they stopped requiring me to upgrade to Win8.1 to get patches and such.

--

Rick
Reply to

Thanks, Phil. :)