OT: Testing fuses - Page 2

Re: OT: Testing fuses

He's a Brit and has been a regular poster for many years, intially as Eeyore.

He's never had much sense, and should be seen as gullible, rather than as a Russian - or any other kind - of troll.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Testing fuses
   PERFECT way to test a fuse: turn up the current until it blows.
   Works every time...

Re: OT: Testing fuses
On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 13:55:55 -0700, Robert Baer

I can't find the current adjustment on any of my fuses.

Do you mean it works more than once?

Re: OT: Testing fuses

It's not that simple, though. There's a significant time factor as stated
in the charts Jeff linked to.
Today I finally did a quick and dirty test of those Ebay fuses. I just
set the PSU at 10A (the same as the fuse rating) and sequentially tried
them all for a few seconds each. one in four went 'phut' immediately; the
rest didn't blow. I'm not quite sure what that, of a useful nature tells
me, if anything. I was initially inclined to think they were a good batch
on the whole, but now I'm really not so sure....
I can't be bothered to wait up to 600 seconds per fuse to do the test
properly.

Re: OT: Testing fuses

The phutter was a dud. The rest who knows - if the same batch they're probably almost as bad.

NT

Re: OT: Testing fuses

Well, at least they protect to a great extent, but clearly no use for
continuous operation close to the rated 10A which a 'proper' fuse would
be.

Re: OT: Testing fuses
On Sun, 12 Aug 2018 22:01:03 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom

What did you use to connect the fuse to the power supply?  If it was a
matching heavy duty fuse receptacle, with thick heavy wires, and
connected to the power supply with soldered spade lugs, you're doing
it right.  If it was a pair of alligator clips, clean up your mess and
do it the right way by building a proper fixture.

It tells me that either the fuse or the operator has a loose
connection.  At this point, I suspect the latter.

How amps will your power supply deliver?  More than 10A will speed up
the test.

Re: OT: Testing fuses

The first scenario, except I used pro crimped spade connectors to plug
the fuses directly into.

I've been using my old Lamda (made in NYC) thus far; tops-out at 10A.
I've also got a Manson 25A 17V supply with full v & c independent
settings, but it's been powering an embedded app on and off for the past
6 years so I'm loathed to take it out for measurement.

Re: OT: Testing fuses

You might try just measuring the resistance of each fuse and comparing the
reading to the resistance of the fuses that did not go phut.  That should o
nly take seconds for each fuse.  You might find most of them cluster in one
 of two groups.  Then test to see which bunch are 10 amp fuses and what the
 other bunch is .

                                          Dan

Re: OT: Testing fuses
)

Less destructive would be to apply power until the resistance of the fusibl
e link rises appreciably (probably with a four terminal - Kelvin - rig). Me
asure the time it took to get there. Turn off the heating power and keep me
asuring the resistance as it cools down.

Electronics works a lot faster than fuses.

You might have to measure the resistance of the fusible link as function of
 temperature to get a precise idea of what was going on.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Site Timeline