OT test - please ignor

The system appears to be broken. See if this will post. Please ignore.

Re: OT test - local server stops reporting after Dec04
The local Primus server has stopped reporting new headers after DEC04.

Old headers are still retreivable. No response from ISP. Strange.

Will this message post? ....testing

Cannot post new messages - can reply to those posted before Dec04'

even stranger

RL

Re: OT test - local server stops reporting after Dec04

Google groups is pretty good spam-wise these days....
George H.

Re: OT test - local server stops reporting after Dec04

I've been having strange problems with Teksavvy. They claim my system is
causing the problem but that can't be true. Here's what it does at
random:

1. I can log on to one of my online banks but not the other
2. I can log on to Paypal but not eBay
3. If I try to post a message longer than a few lines it hangs. I'm not
   even using Teksavvy's newsgroup server
4. If I try to send an email longer than a few lines, it hangs

I try with Firefox 12 and 20, both do the same thing.

The newsgroup program is XNews.

My email client is Pimmy (a plain ASCII client).

A couple of hours later, everything is back to normal.

There is no way that four different programs can all go berserk at the
same time, then suddenly cure themselves simultaneously.

Teksavvy used to be pretty good. But the tek support has gone downhill
over the past year or so, and they don't seem to have anyone left who
understands computers or how the web works.

I'm looking for another ISP, but to be honest, it is difficult to find
anything as inexpensive in my area.

I need to move to a different area with more competent ISP's that don't
charge an arm and leg.

Re: OT test - local server stops reporting after Dec04

I have similar intermittent problems and it is usually my ISP, or
actually WISP.  They are a small outfit and often have issues with their
equipment and/or available bandwidth.

--

Rick

Re: OT test - local server stops reporting after Dec04

Sounds like your system doesn't get patched regularly.  Might be
malware.  Have you tried another ISP or another computer?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Re: OT test - local server stops reporting after Dec04

That is a good idea.  Try going to a place with good wi-fi to see how
your computer works there.  I have found the best wi-fi in many places
is the hospital cafeteria.  They have a great system to keep doctors
connected and often make it available to guests.  No one can complain if
you are in the cafeteria drinking coffee.    :)

I don't always get good results in the various eating establishments.
Heck, I remember once with my Windows 8 machine I couldn't get past the
signon page at Panera Bread.  After some 15-20 minutes on the phone with
support they just gave me a pass and registered my MAC as a permanently
authorized connection, lol.  But their wi-fi has never been all that
great with moderately slow rates.

--

Rick

Re: OT test - local server stops reporting after Dec04

The system is XP. It will never get patched.

Patching is fake security. AV is fake waste of time. AV cannot give
assurance there is no malware on your machine. Malware has far more zero
days than AV has hashes. You need a different philosophy that assumes you
are going to get nailed, with strong detection and good backups.

For detection, I run System File Checker from Win98 and Sysinternals
RootkitRevealer plus similar programs regularly. There is no malware.

I run RAID0 on Ubuntu. If malware tries to modify the MBR, it will
destroy GRUB and the system will not boot. I have had to reinstall Ubuntu
a number of times due to programs trying to load stuff into the boot
area, notably .NET.

The Windows system is on separate vm's. The banking and financial sites
are on one vm, the email and newsgroups are on a different one. It is
highly unlikely that both vm's would go berzerk then heal themselves
simultaneously.

Most malware, such as ZEUS, shut down as soon as they find they are
running in a vm. They don't want to risk running in a debugger.

If malware could somehow write into the hidden area on the SSD's, the
symptoms would likely not go away, then return, then go away, and come
back, and my bank accounts would have been drained by now.

You are doing the same thing as Teksavvy. You are assuming the fault must
be with the user. In this case, the user has some pretty good arguments
why the fault is with Teksavvy.

I am looking for another ISP. There are very few in this area that offer
the bandwidth, data cap and monthly rate of Teksavvy. I will have to move
to a more favorable area. I am OK with that.

Re: OT test - local server stops reporting after Dec04

The current version of Firefox is 42.0.
If you don't like what Mozilla has done to Firefox, there are various
forks of the older code which seems quite good (so far).

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xnews
The web site is dead.  The last stable version was in 2002.  The last
beta release was in 2009.  Perhaps something more modern and better
supported might be helpful.  I suggest Forte Agent.

Last updated in Nov 2012.  Good enough.

Magic.

Sure there is.  If the base operating system goes nuts, everything
built on top of it will also go nuts.  If you're using a VM (virtual
machine) add another layer of potential problems.

Some clue as to your OS and version/revision level might be helpful.

Sure.  Anyone that knows what they're doing has graduated out of tech
support and into development, engineering, testing, etc.  What left is
the residue at the bottom of the barrel.  Mostly, tech support is
trained by the customers and the days of competent tech support are
long over.

When in doubt, change everything.

I can usually tell if I'm going to have problems with tech support by
the initial exchange.  If they ask me to describe my system down to
the hardware revision levels, support has a clue.  If the immediately
dive into keyword searches, it will be a waste of my time.

Good luck on your search for the perfect ISP.

Re: OT test - local server stops reporting after Dec04

FF12 has all the addons I need and want. Later versions drop them.

FF20 tries to drop most of the addons, but I fake it out with
Checkcompatibility 1.3.1. Then it runs the bare minimum I can get along
with, such as Classic Toolbar Buttons, KeyConfig, NoColor, QuickJava,
TabKiller, Updated Ad Blocker and a few others. I tried FF37 and FF38
which were a waste of time.

K-Meleon is good, but not usable for the work I do on the web. I use it
mainly for sites that insist on newer browsers by limiting the encryption
methods. I've tried Google Chrome, Opera, Safari, and a bunch of other
browsers. They have major flaws and most will crash on some sites I
visit, such as Quartz at www.qz.com

Stable means no changes and no new bugs. It works fine. I tried Forte and
all the rest. None work as good as Xnews.

I'm running Pimmy 3.5, released on 5/18/2004. Again, works exactly the
way I want. I don't want newer versions with fancy doodads that just give
problems.

You are are way off base. The base system is Ubuntu 10.04. It does not go
nuts on its own then heal itself. If there is any problem, it simply
crashes.

There is no way that the operating system can allow me to log on to one
site but not another. There is no way the operating system can allow news
postings or emails that are one or two lines, but block larger ones. The
error messages are the most bizarre I have ever seen. They are from
Teksavvy, not my system. There is no way my system can consistently do
these things, then suddenly heal itself.

The vm is an old version of Virtualbox, 4.02. Newer versions add
compatibility for Win 7, which destroys LTspice. Again, I stay on the
trusted tried and true and forsake updates. If it works, leave it alone.

This setup has been working for many years with no problems. The bizarre
problems with Teksavvy only started recently. After I complained, they
seem to have stopped. But I have no guarantee they won't start again
soon.

Host : Ununtu 10.04
VM   : VirtualBox 4.02
Win  : XP SP3

I agree. Actually, tech support is really a sales function. One of the
most important in the company, since it involves direct contact with
irate customers. So it requires highly skilled and motivated individuals,
but they have no hope of reaching incomes that reflect their worth to the
company.

I'd quit also.

I am just looking for the level of system performance Teksavvy had when I
started years ago.

That seems to have faded.

Site Timeline