OT: Tesla Road Test

Sounds like the main complaint is simply that the current crop of electric cars and hybrids aren't some kind of chimera with all the advantages of both gasoline cars (speed of "charging", ability to take long road trips, widely available and well-supported fueling/service network), _plus_ all the advantages of electric vehicles, with the disadvantages of neither.

And that the Model 3 is the only car on the horizon that will have all this, and that it's silly to consider driving anything that doesn't let you have your cake and eat it too.

It's nice to want things, and maybe Tesla will deliver on the no-compromise EV experience. But no-compromise lifestyles finally aren't what conservation or being "green" is about. Life isn't Burger King, you can't always have it your way.

Reply to
bitrex

Sorry should read "fueling" in quotes there

Reply to
bitrex

LOL, it's hilarious that anyone would call a car GM is making available in all 50 states and Canada and sold out in South Korea in a couple hours a "compliance car." What the hell are they "complying" with, exactly?

Reply to
bitrex

And indeed that's part of GM's plan - to sell a shitload in SE Asia while Americans bicker about "muh tax derller subsiderps" and stare at their navels

Reply to
bitrex

Shory? The same way xe gets all of xe's facts; cranial-rectal extraction.

Reply to
krw

There isn't an EV that interests me, no. A total waste of (my tax) money.

I've never stepped foot in a cesspool, either, but I can understand that you know _all_ about both.

Reply to
krw

"THEM CAHMUNNISTS TOOK MAH DERLLERS"

Reply to
bitrex

ver

I've driven 1,000 miles in a day many times, e.g. LA to Ft. Stockton,

Hard to do that, pulling over every third hour to re-charge.

A battery trailer for your Volt, then?

Walking 35 miles powered by potatoes is slower.

But driving, driver+baggage is usually closer to 10% of the overall mass than 1%.

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

at other

r power

r lines.

."

the system put money into places that encourage it's operators to do the ri ght thing.

re is

ems

ct

0,000

than being

it/

the

which

Mostly privileged moderately wealthy white 'liberals' who want subsidized transport, one supposes.

Good thing is, they really hold their value. A used 2014 Volt under 50,000 miles fetches nearly a third of its original sales-price.

E.g.,

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

The reason why electric vehicles should be more efficient is from efficiency at the generation end. Fossil fuel power stations are typically 40% efficient, while a car engine is around 25%...

Reply to
Chris

and when you add in the electricity transmission loss, battery efficiency and motor/electronics efficiency etc. they end up about the same

that's not to say that moving from exhaust cars in the city, to exhaust filtered and cleaned in a power plants doesn't have it's advantages, but it isn't magic

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Transmission loss, at least here in the uk, is around 3%, averaged out for the whole country, so insignificant. The figures are all online. Last info I have for batteries is around 90% or better, drive train better, since no auto / gearbox losses. Other transmission loss (propshaft etc), about the same, so electric should still have an advantage...

Reply to
Chris

It is unlikely that the average trip efficiency is as high as 25%.

With my Mazda 3, which has one of the most efficient gasoline engines but i s not a hybrid, I averaged about 30mpg. With my Prius hybrid I average jus t under 60mpg on the same route and same conditions.

A gasoline engine is very inefficient except over a fairly small range of p ower outputs. Their efficiency is zero when they are idling. Electric motor s have a much wider efficient range of operation and they can be easily shu t down completely when the car is stationery. EVs and Hybrid vehicles can e xploit that improvement.

kevin

Reply to
kevin93

On Monday, June 26, 2017 at 4:17:34 PM UTC-7, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wr ote:

Yes in the steady state. But the trip energy requirement for an EV is sign ificantly less than a gasoline car.

Probably by a factor of about 2 because the various constituent parts of th e complete system can operate closer to their optimum for more of the time.

A Tesla Model S consumes about 300Wh/mile on average. Taking into account generating efficiency, charger, battery and motor efficiencies may result i n an energy requirement of 900Wh/m from the fossil fuel. With gasoline at

33.7kWh/Gal this is around 37mpg.

A Mercedes S550 that is in the same class as the Tesla has a combined fuel consumption of 20mpg.

This doesn't take into account the energy required to process the gasoline which would reduce the effective mpg of the gasoline vehicle even further.

kevin

Reply to
kevin93

25% is baseline theoretical, but fuel is wasted idling in traffic, accelerating and decelerating, no regeneration when braking. From an efficiency and pollution points of view, they are at their worst in city driving, just the situation where you want to minimise it. EV is the only long term solution to pollution in cities, but it will take a decade or two more to really get it together.

I might buy an EV tomorrow, were it not for the capital cost, but no early adopter either. EV are the future, but let it settle out for a few more years. No greeny either. having an Isuzu tdi and and Audi S line sports, but an EV would be ideal for the short journeys done these days and for tech interest...

Reply to
Chris

Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote on 6/26/2017 7:17 PM:

So why is the all electric car so much cheaper to fuel up? Obviously there is more of the energy in the petroleum reaching the road one way or another.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Hmm, at some point the battery will be so heavy the vehicle won't tow it. TANSTAAFL

GVW is often 125%, or more, of curb weight (>140% for pickups).

Reply to
krw

Yes, you in fact, did.

Reply to
krw

Nice, that's the premium trimline with navigation and Bose sound, too. I've always wanted a black first gen; if it were closer I might go and check it out but since Obama already bought me two I'm doing OK for the moment.

Reply to
bitrex

0

No, if it's on a trailer you don't have to count it. Majick, you know? Like subsidies. Those make everything free.

Speaking of, the Chevy Bolt's battery pack is reportedly half a ton. And replaces half a tank of gas...

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat