OT: Tesla Road Test

I test drove a model X today.  It's a pretty impressive car!  I used the
auto feature a bit, but it takes a bit of getting used to.  The car will
change lanes when you press the turn signal and the salesman wanted to show
me how it wouldn't make the lane change when a car was in the way.  But my
instinct kicked in before the car's did and I turned the wheel back to my
lane.  Same with the braking.  Cruise control will run up near the driver in
front and my long standing instinct is to leave *lots* of space in front of
me so I kept hitting the brake.  lol

This is an amazingly powerful car.  The zero to sixty performance is like
nothing I've ever been in before, but it doesn't seem like it is so extreme.
  I've been in cars and motorcycles that are nearly as fast (maybe the bikes
are faster, not sure) and the feel of the extreme acceleration is a thrill.
The model X just goes and boom! you are up to 60 without knowing it.  This
car will never have an issue merging into traffic.

I believe the range is 300 miles on the model I drove.  That will get me
around for a week at a crack.

It's a hundred grand.  I'll have to think about it a bit.  I was going for
the model 3, but... do I want to wait...?  This is a pretty durn big car
though.  Bigger than my truck.  It parks itself though, so maybe I shouldn't
care.  Seats up to 7!  I could charge $17k per ride and break even in my
first run!  lol  It also tows 5,000 pounds.  That's a lot of kayaks.

--

Rick C

Re: OT: Tesla Road Test

With or without "Ludicrous Speed"?

Bye Jack

Re: OT: Tesla Road Test

I think he turned on Ludicrous at one point.  He referred to it a different
way as turning off the limit or something.  He couldn't decide whether I
would understand the terminology or not and sometimes referred to things by
their Tesla name and other times not.  Maybe "ludicrous" is a trigger phrase
for some people.

It was all so much faster than my present V6 pickup that it didn't really
matter.  The thing about it wasn't the acceleration exactly, it is as much
the fact that it does it without any indication other than being mashed into
the seat and the numbers ramping up.  No engine roar, no gears whining.
It's so quiet and smooth.  Like when a high-rise elevator takes off and your
stomach is left behind.

--

Rick C

Re: OT: Tesla Road Test

Alternate bursts of 0.6G acceleration followed by 0.6G braking may be
fun for some people (who don't have female passengers) but that's not
good for range. Neither is using lights, heat, a/c, driving hills, or
driving in cold weather.

This is interesting:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/3147026-teslas-productivity-is-less-than-25-percent-of-its-peers

http://autoweek.com/article/green-cars/teslas-fremont-plant-doesnt-have-enough-parking-employees-because-plant-so

http://autoweek.com/article/green-cars/tesla-has-turn-potential-real-profits

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: OT: Tesla Road Test
On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 8:33:39 AM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:

Lights have negligible effect.  A/C doesn't either around the south SF bay.  Even hills don't cause too much reduction in range because the energy is reclaimed going down the other side.

I have regularly been over the Santa Cruz mountains from Los Gatos to Santa Cruz an EV and reclaim quite a few kWh on the downhill side so the overall efficiency is not affected too much.

You're right about the heating though, some EVs use a heat pump but surprisingly Tesla doesn't.

kevin

Re: OT: Tesla Road Test
On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:42:16 -0700 (PDT), kevin93

I don't see many Teslas in Truckee in the winter. None so far.
Recovering energy on the downhill side isn't very comforting if I
can't make it all the way up.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: OT: Tesla Road Test

You can always tow a gas generator up the hill. LOL.

Re: OT: Tesla Road Test

Looks like Truckee is 187 miles from San Francisco.  That's not even 2/3
tank in the car I drove yesterday.  I seriously doubt you would have any
issue reaching Truckee in one of those.  The model S has a range up to 335
miles!

If you get a bit peckish on the way you could stop at the Supercharges on
the north east side of Sacramento (15 chargers available) and top up your
charge in as much time as it takes to fill your gas tank for about the same
cost as a Starbucks latte.

Truckee has 14 Superchargers so it won't be a problem getting charged up to
head home either.

Tesla has done a *much* better job with supporting their customers than GM.
When I asked about charging a Bolt they said I could look up chargers in the
internet... literally, that's what the guy said.  I understand the Bolt has
a fast charging capability built in, but nowhere to plug in.

--

Rick C

Re: OT: Tesla Road Test
On Wednesday, June 21, 2017 at 9:03:48 AM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote:
..

Agreed you have to make it up the hill - I know a few people who have done
it although with the combination of the uphill climb and the heating load i
n winter there is not a great deal of spare range.

Do you see many other $100K+ cars in Truckee?  The population of Teslas is
not very large compared to other vehicles.

When I drive my Spark EV over the Santa Cruz mountains the remaining range
when I'm at the peak has dropped to about 30 miles or because it is using e
nergy at ~2mi/kWh during the climb - by the time I get down to Santa Cruz t
he range has climbed to 80 or 90 miles.

The intrinsic energy of a Li-ion a battery is only enough to raise its own
weight about 55km against gravity but gasoline has enough to do the same ab
out 4300 km. Surround the battery with the weight of the rest of the car an
d its raising ability drops even further.  Cruising is helped by having goo
d aerodynamics but there's a limit to how much the weight can be reduced. T
he battery in an EV will constitute about 25-30% of the mass of the vehicle
.

kevin

Re: OT: Tesla Road Test
On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 09:03:39 -0700, John Larkin

Get out and push!  Geez!

Re: OT: Tesla Road Test

The range reduction due to accessories is a complete non-issue when it
comes to daily driving. If someone consistently dries in blistering
heat, sub zero temps, or lives 50 miles from their nearest neighbor then
an EV probably isn't the car for them. Oh well.

You can always find reasons not to do things, most of the ones involving
EVs essentially reduce to "u a libtard and ur gay"

Re: OT: Tesla Road Test

You are still perpetuating a myth.  The AC simply does not create a
noticeable reduction.  Part of the reason is that the batteries have more
capacity when hot!  You literally can get free energy by charging the car in
your cool garage at night and driving on a hot day!

John doesn't like Teslas because he is envious of Elon Musk.

--

Rick C

Re: OT: Tesla Road Test

Running it for an hour on a hot day does create a noticeable reduction
for me, at least as far as my charge indicator goes. My battery is small
and I use the business-owned-customer-service chargers scattered around
almost exclusively; I usually only have 20 or 30 miles worth of charge
at any give time. Noticeable as in 2 or 3 miles less range. If you've
got a fat-ass pack with 250 miles worth of juice then yep, who cares.

Well, idk about "literally."

Eewwww.

Re: OT: Tesla Road Test

I don't think it's envy, just a feeling that Musk is living on government
subsidies.  News from a while back about solar city.
http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/14/david-robinson-teslas-focus-shifts-plans-buffalo-solar-factory/

Factory is Buffalo is being built, but panels still in prototype stage.
Cost of roof.  (estimated)  $38k.  Savings after 30 years!  (including
government subsidies) $11k... I'd like to see the numbers.

George H.

Re: OT: Tesla Road Test

s-buffalo-solar-factory/

I have an off-grid buddy who lives on a mountain.  Nine years on, 4 of
his 9 BP Solar panel strings have failed catastrophically.

(All the failed panels were amorphous, BTW.  The mono-crystalline panels
are still producing.)

Meanwhile, we have this...

"California invested heavily in solar power. Now there's so much that other
 states are sometimes paid to take it

  On 14 days during March, Arizona utilities got a gift from
  California: free solar power.

  Well, actually better than free. California produced so much solar power
  on those days that it paid Arizona to take excess electricity its
  residents weren?t using to avoid overloading its own power lines.

  It happened on eight days in January and nine in February as well."

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-fi-electricity-solar/

Cheers,
James Arthur

Re: OT: Tesla Road Test
On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 19:32:04 -0700 (PDT), the renowned

That happened with Germany too. Money is becoming like that- you may
have to pay banks to take it (negative interest rates).

At some point the music may stop.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Re: OT: Tesla Road Test
her
er
es.

More likely somebody with some sense will get into the act, and make the sy
stem put money into places that encourage it's operators to do the right th
ing.

Useful chunks of energy storage hardware is what come to my mind, but
I don't know the numbers.

Enron did end up being taken to court, but it did take a while.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Tesla Road Test

There is a bit of a disconnect.  There is too much demand for mid day
charging of vehicles so the charging stations are overwhelmed, yet there is
a surplus of electric power mid day.  Hmmmm, how could those two problems
possibly be solved???

--

Rick C

Re: OT: Tesla Road Test
 other
ower
ines.
e system put money into places that encourage it's operators to do the righ
t thing.
is

With *more* subsidies!

 "[W]e think it can be a popular vehicle if people can get over the fact
  that they are paying over $37,000 for a Chevrolet that would cost $20,000
  if it were internal combustion."
 "There?s no greater proof of a vehicle being a compliance car than
 being
 sold at a loss before incentives."
  https://electrek.co/2016/11/30/gm-chevy-bolt-ev-loss-before-zev-credit/

 "As an electric-only manufacturer, Tesla has been able to really tap the
  program. In the third quarter, it made $139 million selling credits, whic
  helped Tesla hit its second-ever quarterly profit on a GAAP basis."
  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-30/gm-s-ready-to-lose-9-0
00-a-pop-and-chase-the-electric-car-boom

Cheers,
James Arthur

Re: OT: Tesla Road Test

LOL, it's hilarious that anyone would call a car GM is making available
in all 50 states and Canada and sold out in South Korea in a couple
hours a "compliance car." What the hell are they "complying" with, exactly?

Site Timeline