OT: Table Saw

Ah yes, the 'union guys'. I had a run in with them at the Offshore Technology Conference while setting up equipment. Union 'electrician' comes over and explains how I can't do that. Must be done by a 'union' electrician although, off hand, I don't remember what 'consequences' he threatened me with. Probably something like being 'expelled' from the exhibit hall.

So I say, fine, no problem. Just want you to know this unit is $125,000, those three are $25,000 each, that one is $75,000 and we'll hold you responsible for any damages.

Interesting how all of a sudden it was just fine for me to do it.

Reply to
flipper

Somewhere they show a single jawhorse set up to handle 4x8 sheets. It involves a 2x4 leg at the "remote" end of the panel (the jaw horse being the "local" end), but I didn't look at it closely, because I do it with sawhorses: lay four 8' firring strips across two sawhorses and lay the plywood on the firring to cut. You set your blade depth to the thickness of the panel + ~ 1/8". You'll cut a bit into the firring, but it's cheap so who cares. And because you only cut into it a little, you can use it over and over and over.

If you haven't worked with plywood before: The circular saw blade cuts UP through the plywood, so you want the good side of the plywood down when you cut. You can also get an 80 tooth blade, (see the url below) to get clean cuts.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

I had a union experience "from the inside" once, so to speak. I was between contracts. and there was a one-day gig that paid $10.50 an hour or so, which beats the hell out of $0.00 an hour!

Anyway, the job was basically "roustabout" - they were tearing down and packing up the crap from some trade show.

I and some other guy were schlepping these 4' x 6' rollarounds with partition walls and crap piled on them, from the auditorium to the staging area.

About half-way through the shift, some foreman-looking guy told us to SLOW DOWN!

Apparently, we were making the union members look bad.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That happened in my oldest son's wood-shop class in high school... spraying blood floor-to-ceiling.

Aaron had the coolness to open the dust collector and retrieve the fingers even before the paramedics arrived.

They were able to reattach the kids fingers successfully. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

For this project I'm going to use my ShopMate 425 to hold the far end. It's OK for a support, but its clamping ability is pretty much limited to hobby-weight projects.

I bought a 150 tooth blade ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Jim Thompson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Kid in my shop class used a sheet metal shear to lop off his fingertip. stuck it under the guard trying to cut a small piece of metal. He didn't even know he'd done it until he turned and put the workpiece on the drill press and saw all the blood,while another guy was kicking his fingertip around on the floor,asking "what the heck is this?". AFAIK,he got it reattached.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jim Yanik

Of course. It's pay *by the hour*, man. What you doing 'rushing' things?

My grandfather had an 'old time' union story too. He bought a new car and got called it had arrived so he took off lunch to go pick it up. They were unloading the trailer when he got there and, wouldn't you know, his was last to come off.

He watched as the union fellah got in, fired her up, and began backing it down the ramp. Rear wheels on the ground with the front having 2 feet to go when the 'break bell' rang and that was all she wrote, The guy stopped it *right there*, got out, and headed to 'break'.

Well, my grandfather was on lunch break too so to hell with that crap. He got in, fired it up, and backed it the rest of the whole 2 feet..

You would have thought he'd whipped out an Uzi and began spraying passerbys as every union guy within a quarter mile, lunch break or not, ran to stop the usurper.

And it wasn't as if they were concerned about 'safety' either as they wanted him to drive it *back* onto the ramp where it had been.

Fat chance.

His argument was, it's *my* damn car bought and paid for.

He won but not without some tense moments.

Reply to
flipper

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns9E82793139FCjyaniklocalnetcom@216.168.3.44:

Guess I'd better not read this newsgroup during lunch, again.....(c;]

Reply to
Fred

The unionist-leftist point of view is based on the (true) observation that if every person led a productive life, we'd produce far too much.

The rightist point of view is that we can solve that problem by having wars to destroy the excess.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

He got "greeted" like that at Sperry/Honeywell Satellite Systems Division by other job-shoppers who claimed I was "showing them up". I gave them my standard greeting ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Well, we beat you to it. The 16'th Amendment allowing direct taxation was ratified February 3, 1913.

People over here almost to the man misunderstand the 16'th Amendment, however, thinking it allowed taxation on wages. Not so. Income tax on

*wages* was always allowed and goes back to at least the Civil War. It really goes back to the War of 1812 but the war ended before the tax was implemented and, since the purpose had been to fund the war, it was repealed before going into effect.

While initially a flat tax the Civil War income tax was amended to be two tier progressive. (as you can see 'income tax' was considered an 'emergency' thing to fund a war, or maybe some other extraordinary purpose, and not 'routine' till later when the progressive movement began gaining power)

What happened is the Supreme Court ruled in Pollock v. Farmers' Loan & Trust Co., 1895, that income from rents, or any other due to owning 'property', as embodied in the Wilson?Gorman Tariff Act of 1894, were unconstitutionally unapportioned direct taxes. Wages do not derive from property, however, and were Constitutional.

What the 16'th allowed was taxing corporations, landlords, (any 'income') etc, without the previous apportionment requirement.

The confusion stems from the Court's ruling striking down the entire Wilson?Gorman Tariff Act since it was a 'taxation plan' and not severable. The "income tax" then reappeared after the 16'th so people think 'it' allowed the tax on wages.

Ironically, conservatives of the time, who opposed the income tax, are largely responsible for the 16'th Amendment. They proposed it to 'settle the matter once and for all' since they were absolutely positively, no doubt about it, sure there was not a rat's chance in hell 3/4 of the States would ratify it.

Surprise!

The reason it passed is proponents argued that no one except for a handful of rich fat cat bastards would be paying it.

Again, surprise!

There *were* prescient warnings.

Richard E. Byrd, speaker of the Virginia House of Delegates, warned: "A hand from Washington will be stretched out and placed upon every man's business; the eye of the Federal inspector will be in every man's counting house . . . The law will of necessity have inquisitorial features, it will provide penalties, it will create complicated machinery. Under it men will be hailed into courts distant from their homes. Heavy fines imposed by distant and unfamiliar tribunals will constantly menace the tax payer. An army of Federal inspectors, spies and detectives will descend upon the state . . . Who of us who have had knowledge of the doings of the Federal officials in the Internal Revenue service can be blind to what will follow?"

Reply to
flipper

flipper:

Very interesting, thanks.

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

And the electronic content here would be.... ?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Rich Grise:

Of the table saws?

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

Be advised that it WAS NOT ratified..missing vote of one state.

Reply to
Robert Baer

That Emerson unit is the best thing since sliced bread !-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

1...

. I

..

e...

..

=A0 =A0 =A0...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

I like how the festool rail system works, it rides on top of a wide alumium rail and it has a "lip" that gets cut first time you use it, so after that you have the edge of that lip as an accurate measure of when the cut will be, no need for measuring offsets or anything, just place the edge on the line and cut

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Great. I guess that means you bought it.

Which one?

I'll feel much better about getting one having used you as a guinea pig ;)

Reply to
flipper

What was the best thing before sliced bread?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I got the 50" one, so I can do full sheets of plywood; but I like it so well I may buy a smaller one also.

And I am going to buy another Jawhorse. It's so much sturdier than my Shopmate. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature