OT: Table Saw

What is everyone's favorite CHEAP table saw? ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I have one of these that I like:

Might not qualify as "cheap" to you, though -- but it's still bush league compared to the stuff that, e.g., Keith Williams has.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I'd be interested to hear that too.

Btw, Sears Hardware has one on sale for $140.

Reply to
flipper

You want to saw tables??????? Quaint.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

I found a cheaper solution, a device called a "jawhorse". ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Leftist weenies ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

No such thing.

Certainly. You gotta saw 'em before you can make 'em.

Reply to
krw

The Jawhorse is the best thing since sex was invented. I got one and it's the bees knees. Home Depot is now selling their own version. It seems to have the same functionality.

Bob

--
== All google group posts are automatically deleted due to spam ==
Reply to

How does a jawhorse substitute for a table saw?

I recently bought a Ridgid R4510 table saw from Home Depot - seems fine to me...

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Peter Bennett

Looks like that to me as well. I have to handle some big pieces of plywood, and it looks perfect for that. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Ah, so you're going to build some coffins for those leftist weenies you're planning to saw too? That's quite considerate of you... :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I have to handle some plywood panels that are a bit unwieldy to push thru a table saw, unless you have a Norm Abram (*) sized shop. So I'll go the other way around, jawhorses plus circular saw.

(*) Master carpenter of PBS shows "This Old House" and "The New Yankee Workshop". ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Shelving for all the holiday-specific table cloths, place mats and napkins that my wife has collected... a large closet full ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

This is a bit off of table saw topic but I thought it would be nice to get some of the aluminum extrusion with a linear slide and make a sort of panel saw. This could also be used with a router for joiner and planer type operations. There are a lot of possibilities with a few attachments, routing molding, etc.

The last few projects I have done, I used a 1" square aluminum tube clamped to the wood for a guide, seems more sturdy than the circular saw guides I've used.

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

Best trick for cutting large panels with a hand-held saw is to clamp a straight-edge plank at the correct offset, about 30mm. Then you can run the saw along and get a perfectly straight cut every time.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Aha! Good hint! Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I saw the panel saws as I surfed. Nice, but $$$$$ :-( Your aluminum tube idea embellishes Clifford Heath's similar suggestion. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Except that even with a 4x1 plank, a 2m cut can show more than 1mm flex in the "straight-edge" plank, depending on how effectively you handle the saw. I suspect an aluminium tube will flex too. Plus, in order for the saw to clear the clamps, it helps to have a straight edge at least 4" wide - any obstruction, even a visual one, will make you hesitate and will noticeably affect the cut.

After measuring the offset, test it by starting the saw and just touching the corner; cut half a mm into the corner and you can see whether the cut is going where you expect. With practise, you can get panels that match within 1mm - if you need better, cut 1mm over and plane them together.

Clifford Heath.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

A steel framing stud or track is much cheaper and quite rigid if you get the heavy duty ones. Art

Reply to
Artemus

inum

Slick.

I paid $150 for a Makita $250 saw at Pace warehouse many years ago. I'm good to go.

If I got a BIG job I'll ask my neighbor who has a saw filling up half his garage. Huge.

greg