OT: Swedish Elections - Page 2

Re: OT: Swedish Elections

<snip>

It's a pretty arbitrary limit. It does encourage everybody to drill down to the fundamentals, but a lot of baby gets thrown out with the bathwater, and it does excuse gross over-simplification.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Swedish Elections

I entirely agree about the limit being arbitrary, and in
that sense it is aspirational.

I've never been afraid to bust the limit by up to a factor
of (say) two, and never seen anybody else that was afraid.
However, that is in the knowledge that
  1) any other options have been investigated and rejected
     for stated reasons
  2) those statements are available, if necessary
  3) the people summarising/proposing are sound and are
     trusted (but if not, why is anybody reading the memo!)

Anybody that takes the "1 page only" as a religious rule
is probably someone that thinks following a process is
/sufficient/ to guarantee a good result. And such people
should be ignored!

Re: OT: Swedish Elections
e UK
void

True. "

As usual he knows nothing. Companies work WITH TRADE unions, LABOR unions a
re their enemy. The ones that protect the lazy and incompetent. In a TRADE
union you maintain standards for quality and quantity of work or you are ou
t of the union which means you have to work for assholes.

How to tell the difference ? Usually you are required to join a labor union
 after so many days on the job, while you have to be sponsored in to a trad
e union. That means a company must intend to hire you because you MUST work
 your apprenticeship usually with them and you usually go to school one day
 a week and the company pays you for that time.

But such things are not on the media so I don't expect foreigners to know,
whether they think they do or not.

Re: OT: Swedish Elections
On Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 7:29:32 AM UTC+10, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wro
te:
the UK

 are their enemy. The ones that protect the lazy and incompetent. In a TRAD
E union you maintain standards for quality and quantity of work or you are
out of the union which means you have to work for assholes.

This may be a US distinction, probably invented by employers. It doesn't se
em to exist outside of the US.

https://work.chron.com/difference-between-trade-union-collective-bargaining
-agent-30626.html

It looks as if US usage distinguishes between individual trade unions, and
their collective bargaining agent when they combine to negotiate with a par
ticular employer or group of employers. The labour union would then be a co
llection of trade unions where each trade union would represent a specific
trade.

on after so many days on the job, while you have to be sponsored in to a tr
ade union. That means a company must intend to hire you because you MUST wo
rk your apprenticeship usually with them and you usually go to school one d
ay a week and the company pays you for that time.
, whether they think they do or not.

Some trade unions do represent specific trades, and you have to have done a
n apprenticeship to be allowed to practice that trade.

I was talking about the situation in the UK where I did work, and was a mem
ber of a trade union (and even got dragooned into being a low level trade u
nion representative at one point - during run-up to the winter of disconten

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_of_Discontent

when our wages fell out of line with the - then high - rate of inflation in
 the UK pound, which had hit 26.9% in 1975).

Jurb wouldn't know about that, though I have posted about that here.

--
Bill Sloman, sydney

Re: OT: Swedish Elections

When people end up dead, it stops being any kind of "family disagreement".

The problem is more that certain groups rejected being lumped into a larger
 "family". The Basques rejected the idea of being Spanish, the Irish Republ
ican Army didn't fancy being British, and Serbs and Croats in former Yugosl
avia rejected the idea of being Yugoslavs.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Swedish Elections

I couldn't believe it. Having the audacity to prevent the rightfully
elected leader of the US from carrying out the duties the voters expected
him to do - and boasting about it! That really takes some chutzpah.

Re: OT: Swedish Elections

By "rightfully elected" Cursitor Doom means that Trump squeaked in by virtu
e of lot of fake social media posts made by Russian - right-wing - trolls o
n Facebook and the like.

The problem with Trump is that he is not carrying out the duties the voters
 expected him to carry out when they put him in the White House, which was
to restore the US economy to the status quo ante and get them their jobs ba
ck, but rather unilaterally abrogating international treaties because he do
esn't like them, which isn't what anybody elected him to do.

Cursitor Doom is a superficial twit, and he hasn't noticed that Trump is a
truly incompetent and ineffectual president and the US needs to get shot of
 him as quickly as it can, albeit by constitutional means.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: OT: Swedish Elections

Watching deeply paranoid schizophrenics leap at shadows, look under
beds,  and investigate Wheel of Fortune to discern the hidden whispers
of conspiracy encoded on the board by Vanna White would be somewhat
amusing. If it weren't so sad. :(

Site Timeline