OT: Storm in a Teacup

But, on the other hand, "Zathras trained, in crisis management!"

We could use a Zathras right about now. Or, perhaps, half a dozen of them.

Reply to
Dave Platt

Sometimes clear simplicities confuse sophisticated people.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

with.

is

o defraud, or in a variety of other circumstances, but that's not the point . Lying is bad, lying without a good reason is misfeasance.

They offered him a deal from a position of strength. The lawyers will have made sure that the offer didn't constitute extortion in the legal sense.

Having sex with lawyers isn't recommended. Trump clearly did have sex with Stormy Daniels, which does show a certain lack of imagination.

or

Actually, he's known world wide for lying because his official biographer f ound it to be a consistent feature of his career, long before he got into p olitics. The press now fact check his statements and rate most of them as l ies.

John Larkin might go to the trouble of finding an "obvious truth" that Trum p has actually articulated, and that the left might not have liked. "It's a nice day" wouldn't qualify.

Trump doesn't lie on principle - he hasn't got any principles - but does te ll the audience what he thinks that they want to hear, and he's pretty good at finding something that they'd like to hear, unconstrained by the idea t hat what he might say would have to be true.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Seems unlikely.

Until the economy tanks.

John Larkin has fantasies in which he designs electronics - as opposed to f iddling with circuits until he finds a variant that works.

The same intellectual disability that stops him from recognising that Trump is a disaster also makes him susceptible to another bunch of liars - the d enialists that tell him that climate change isn't happening, and wouldn't b e any kind of problem if it did.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

. I'm

ctim

d end

re.

He may have been amazed that he could get away with the abuse, but it's the grabbing them that constitutes the abuse.

Or would be, if he could get anything to happen. His worst fault is that he is ineffectual. He gets through advisors remarkably rapidly, presumably be cause wants them to do silly things and gets upset when they fail to delive r on his fatuous demands.

Nobody has called for Trump's impeachment yet. The Russian intervention in the election (via Facebook and the like) is well documented. It's less obvi ous that the Trump campaign was well enough organised to have solicited Rus sian support.

Paul Manafort has now been convicted on eight felony counts, including tax fraud, bank fraud, and hiding a foreign bank account.

This largely relates to activities pre-dating Manafort joining the Trump te am, but raises question about Trump's own money laundering activities for R ussian oligarchs.

The police are doing that, and the best theory is that it was a consequence of an inept robbery. John Larkin is gullible enough to pay attention to so me of the right wing conspiracy theories, which is to say lunatic fringe gu llible (as if we didn't know that already).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

But gullible twits like John Larkin swallow deceptive "clear simpliticies" served up by people with an interest in deceiving the gullible.

As H.L. Mencken said "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong" and "There is always an easy solution to every human problem -- neat, plausible, and wrong."

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

And sometimes people that are remarkably clever in one area, are remarkably blind or stupid in another area. I am sure you are an excellent electronics engineer, but you really have your brain switched off when it comes to Trump.

Reply to
David Brown

Not only that, but we are not privy to the circumstances of the alleged sex. Perhaps he had seen some of her films, and found them "inspirational". Perhaps he thought as an expert, she could show him some new tricks. Perhaps he was blind drunk at the time. Certainly "she is not his type" is worthless as an argument for thinking he didn't have sex with her.

No, I don't think the press approved. But the press didn't have the same kind of information then as they do now, public acceptance of the abuses of men in power was higher back then, and public interest in sex scandals was lower. I believe mainstream media are basically honest - not /always/ honest, and not always right, but usually they do their best to tell the truth. But there is no doubt that the bias in the topics they choose to talk about has changed over the years.

Both the world, and the press, have changed. In Kennedy's time, politicians could get away with having affairs or denigrating women. Nowadays, you can't. There are some men (and, occasionally, women) caught out for past transgressions committed in a time when you /could/ get away with them.

You really have been drinking the kool aid.

That's true. It's not the sex that is important, it's the lying, the coverups and the law-breaking - just as was the case for Bill Clinton's impeachment.

And as for his actions as President, unfortunately they have mostly been legal AFAIK.

One of Trump's main campaign promises was to jail Hilary Clinton - it was a messy fight with calls for impeachment on all sides.

Also remember that a great many people who dislike Trump /also/ dislike Clinton. Your last election was between two widely hated candidates. If you had had a sensible presidential election system like most democratic republic countries, neither of them would have won.

Reply to
David Brown

Mark Twain didn't actually write "It?s Easier to Fool People Than to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled" but he did write "How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and how hard it is to undo that work again!?

Anyone that believes Trump ought to be short selling stocks: "I don't know how you can impeach somebody who's done a great job. I tell you what, if I ever got impeached, I think the market would crash.? ?President @realDonaldTrump pic.twitter.com/b22iGKE7iu That pic.twitter leads to the fox and friends feed

so it must be true.

An alternative explanation is that Trump has an inflated sense of his importance and influence.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Am 24.08.2018 um 10:31 schrieb Tom Gardner:

The correct sniglet for this condition is probably "inflatulence"

:-) Gerhard

<

Gerhard Hoffmann

Both sniglet and inflatulance are good words (not fake words:) )

Reply to
Tom Gardner

He's the President of the United States. He sure has more importance and influence than you do.

Why do so many people care about his personality? What matters is what he does.

He seems to have better economic instincts than a tub full of Nobel Prize economists. Which reinforces my point: there are some fields of study where beginners are better at predicting causalities than PhDs are.

lunatic fringe electronics

with.

is past

Once again talking about things you know NOTHING about. That is the exact reason why they give polygraphs to get high level clearances. To uncover t he truth and in particular to reveal things you can be blackmailed for. If these things exist, you don't get the clearance.

ariety of

hout

or lying',

You don't have to listen to anyone other than Trump to know he lies. He sa ys one thing, then later says something else and claims he never said anyth ing different which is a LIE.

Or do you not believe Trump when he told the first LIE?

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Really? (My mother would disagree :) )

Relevance?

They care because personality shapes what people do. Predicting the actions of important people is a fairly sizeable industry in itself. Personality can inform (very imperfectly) such predictions.

So do you believe the market will crash if he is impeached? If so, are you taking any precautionary measures?

I think it is more likely the fall before he is impeached and rise thereafter - but I'm not going to state timescales :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

The market always crashes. It's fundamentally unstable.

My personal investments are conservative and my leverage is zero. Debt-free real estate is pretty secure too. Mostly I hope the world will continue to need good electronics.

The stock market is a relaxation oscillator, as are forest fires. Gain and forces and fuel loads accumulate long-term, and something finally breaks, and some event (political news, some ignition source) gets the blame. Most Presidents function mostly as cheerleaders, which has no long-term effect on the forces building up.

Cutting corporate taxes and regulations are very real, long-term effects. Reducing immigration is another. So, as the economy goes, D deserves more credit or blame than the usual president. Still, market dynamics is international in scope and basically un-knowable. China or the EU could crash things.

lunatic fringe electronics

s known

'known for lying',

left

he

hed

ldTrump

ideo/1

So none of the financial good times are from the preceding eight years when it all started?

As you say, financial indicators show various cycles. The stock market is not the economy, it is just another indicator. Employment is another which tends to lag the actual state of the economy while the stock market tends to lead the economy.

It is interesting that often the effects of an input to the economy takes a few years to be felt, good or bad. The state of the economy in the term s tarting in 2021 will be the one that tells how well Trump is doing now. Mo st likely it will be a Democratic President dealing with the result of the previous four years.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Am 24.08.2018 um 17:20 schrieb John Larkin:

That could possibly be far from truth.

The more I think about it, his role model seems to be Zaphod Beeblebrox from the Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy".

I cite the WIKI, the other important guide book to make it easy for me:

Zaphod invented the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster. He was voted "Worst Dressed Sentient Being in the Known Universe" seven consecutive times. He's been described as "the best Bang since the Big One" by Eccentrica Gallumbits, and as "one hoopy frood" by others. In the seventh episode of the original radio series, the narrator describes Beeblebrox as being the "owner of the hippest place in the universe" (his own left cranium), as voted on in a poll of the readers of the fictional magazine Playbeing.

... (That must be galactic version of the National Enquirer, and the link to PlayChicks cannot be denied! ) ...

He was briefly the President of the Galaxy (a role that involves no power whatsoever, and merely requires the incumbent to attract attention so no one wonders who's really in charge, a role for which Zaphod was perfectly suited). He is the only man to have survived the Total Perspective Vortex, though it was established (in the books and first two radio series) that he survived only because he was in an Electronically Synthesised Universe created especially for him, thus making him the most important being in that universe and thus uniquely equipped to survive its version of the Vortex.

... He used his position as President of the Galaxy to steal the Heart of Gold, a spaceship taking advantage of Infinite Improbability Drive, at its unveiling. ...

As a character, Zaphod is hedonistic and irresponsible, narcissistic almost to the point of solipsism, and often extremely insensitive to the feelings of those around him. In the books and radio series, he is nevertheless quite charismatic which causes many characters to ignore his other flaws. ... Throughout the book and radio versions of the story, Zaphod is busy carrying out some grand scheme, has no clue as to what it is and is unable to do anything but follow the path that he laid out for himself. ... Throughout the book and radio versions of the story, Zaphod is busy carrying out some grand scheme, has no clue as to what it is and is unable to do anything but follow the path that he laid out for himself.

OK, you can collect that evidence yourself:

Cheers, Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

is known

'known for lying',

ng

e left

the

ched

naldTrump

video/1

Business magazines do not agree that T is good for the future economic situation in the USA:

They don't want to spend anything on infrastructure or education - that will do your country well in the future I'm sure!

hind

Or is the above fake news? What is true news then? Anything T says is the only truth? That changes from tweet to tweet...

You are the son/grandson/great... of immigrants - are you bad for the US

economy?

John :-#(#

Reply to
John Robertson

Grin, I didn't understand T's push for a space force... now I'm predicting the first ship will be called the "Heart of Gold".

(It may be hard for others to understand, but T is loved by half my country... I'm not sure I understand it either. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

I don't disagree with most of the above.

*Hence* whether or not Trump is impeached is not very important to the market. *Hence* Trumps statement "I tell you what, if I ever got impeached, I think the market would crash." is a load of self-important tosh.
Reply to
Tom Gardner