OT: Storm in a Teacup

This latest load of hooey about Trump buying the silence of a hooker. I'm baffled as to why some people feel that Trump, who is clearly the victim of an extortionist and a wholly innocent party in this matter, should end up in jail over it? From this side of the pond at any rate, it looks like just yet another attempt to thwart the democratic will of the people who decided it required someone bold to sort out America's various long-term problems and they are clutching at increasingly thin straws in pursuance of this aim. They can't seriously believe salacious trifles such as this will derail his presidency, surely?

Cursitor Doom

As far as I am concerned it is not his hanging out with hookers, it is his lying about and covering up the actions that people have trouble with.

You may recall a little incident with another president who got into trouble for being accused of having consensual sex with an intern. The Republicans still call for his head.

Can we say double standard?

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Sure sounds like a couple of unappealing women, who he may or might not have had sex with a decade ago, decided to extort him just before the election. And he paid them, somehow.

Isn't extortion illegal?

When Clinton was impeached for perjury, the leftist press said "it's just sex" and "everybody lies about sex."

Yes, the Mueller investigation, started to investigate Russian influence, has found no Russian influence [1] so has become an un-elect-Trump mess. They don't so much want him in jail as impeached, to reverse the election they lost. But they'd get Pence; makes no sense to me.

[1] if evidence existed, it would have been leaked by now.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Can we say forgetfulness?

He was also disbarred because of his perjury.

It was perjury because he was under oath.

He was under oath because he was in court.

He was in court because he was sued by a woman who was brought to his hotel room by a State Trooper. "The governor wants to see you." And he then whipped it out and said, "Do you want to kiss it?"

Ever been consentually pulled over by a State Trooper?

Then there was Kathleen Wiley, and Juanita Broaderick, and the girl at Oxford whose accusation prevented him from finishing his Rhodes Scholarship, and the 4 other anonymous women who testified for the Senate who swayed some Republicans toward impeachment.

But if you choose to forget them and remember only Lewinsky, you certainly wouldn't remember John Huang and the Cox Report, etc, etc, etc, so you also wouldn't take note that the present non-scandal was invented by the Clintons.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

wasn't invented by the Clintons.

Donald Trump had sex with her, and paid her - via Michael Cohen - to shut up about during his election campaign, then lied about having paid her off.

It's definitely about scandalous behaviour. What laws might have been broke n - if any - is still under discussion.

It seem unlikely that the Clintons would have bothered to engineer a sexual encounter between Trump and Stormy Daniels back in 2006, so claiming that the Clintons engineered anything is just more of Tom Del Rosso's campaign t o be recognised as the most off-wall idiot who posts here.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I mean I think it's a waste of time personally, I think Trump could order a squadron of B-2s to strike Chicago or SF with tactical nuclear weapons and charge $150 to watch a million people die on PPV and his ratings among surviving Americans would improve at least 15%.

Reply to
bitrex

don't look at me man and say "they", I don't particularly care what the President does in his free time, intrinsically, sexual relations of varying types are normal biological function of the human species.

Pence ending up president makes perfect sense if you note that Trump wasn't wrong that there were and are a lotta nasty pieces of work in the "swamp" and I somehow doubt they're all social democrats, Pence they figure is probably okay.

Probably hubris to think any one man was going to kick the doors in and clean up the town single-handedly and the thing about nasty pieces of work is they tend to get really annoyed when some other nasty piece of work shows up telling them what to do, and the ones in the FBI, CIA, and military-industrial complex are a particularly pathological bunch.

We on da crunchy-left been saying it for years, probably should have listened.

Reply to
bitrex

You are joking, right? I don't think there is anything but a tiny fraction of his most fanatic supporters who think he is /innocent/ here. Everyone assumes he /did/ sleep with those women, and many more besides. His supporters don't care that he did, and either don't think the hush money was illegal or don't care if it was. But I can't imagine anyone who would believe he didn't actually have sex with them in the first place.

But as with Clinton, the issue is about trustworthiness, lying, cheating, disregard for the laws and regulations. It doesn't really matter what sort of laws are being broken, how serious the offence, whether the laws are sensible, whether he slept with the women or not. What matters is if he knew he was breaking the law and did not care, and if he has lied since then to cover it up. The president cannot set himself above the law - that is crucial to a democracy.

Reply to
David Brown

How do you know they extorted him? Do you know for sure that these women went to Trump (or his lawyer, aids, whatever) and said "give us lots of money or we will tell everyone about our wild romps" ? That would be blackmail, and illegal. But maybe they were negotiating with a newspaper to sell their story - that would be perfectly legal. And Trump's gang heard about it, and said "we'll give you double if you shut up about it" - that would also be perfectly legal, if there had been no issues about campaign money.

I don't know if these women are extortionists or not.

I don't see the sex itself being an issue - that really should be a private matter between the men involved and their spouses. And I don't think a little white lie about who you slept with or didn't sleep with is a huge problem in itself. But it's the start of a slippery slope - if the thing escalates and you keep building on that lie, and you end up crossing the line and doing something that is definitely illegal. Clinton's original "late night at the office" was not the problem, but perjury is breaking the law. Clinton was a good president (not perfect, by any means - none are) who made a mistake and his political enemies took that crack and widened it until he fell. That's how politics is played - he knew the game before he joined, and he lost.

Trump has a lot more enemies, and he /doesn't/ understand the game - but he is an expert at cheating, lying and bullying. It remains to be seen if he will lose here - it's fun to watch!

Most of the world, and half of the USA, agrees that /anyone/ would be better than Trump. If the alternative were Kermit the Frog, we'd all vote green.

Reply to
David Brown

True, but please don't feed this false news troll :)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Good grief, that would include 3/4 of US presidents, congresspeople, and CIA employees.

Lying is not legal

He has said that he did not have sex with women who extorted him just before an election. The women and their lawyers committed extortion.

I don't blame him for not having sex with either of them. Yuk.

He's "known worldwide for lying" because the press keeps shrieking same. The real issue here is that he says obvious truths that the left doesn't like.

lunatic fringe electronics

Exactly.

lunatic fringe electronics

Maybe he paid them out of purs affection and sentimentality.

21% corporate tax and a few strict-constructionists on the Supreme Court will suit me.

I hope you don't design electronics with the same brain that composed that.

lunatic fringe electronics

Everyone? Stormy Daniels? I doubt it. She's not his type (or mine, either.)

lunatic fringe electronics

You are probably attractive enough that you don't have to pay for sex...and I didn't know you were a close enough friend to D.T. to know his preference in women.

Remember - this is the guy who was recorded bragging about barging into women's changing rooms and groping women for fun. Or is this your idea of how to treat people - which I seriously doubt it is, you seem like a responsible adult who accepts the consequences of his actions.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Am 23.08.2018 um 16:38 schrieb John Larkin:

I wonder if there have been previous cases of savant syndrome in the sector of electronics.

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

Most male politicians are hyper-sexed. All the Kennedys were. Bill Clinton was. The Kennedys and Clinton were abusive, and the press mostly approved.

Trump's "they let you grab them..." certainly doesn't suggest abuse; it sounds more like amazement to me.

Whatever his sex life has been, his actions as President are literally a billion times more important. All this personal and Russian stuff is whining and diversion by people who loved the Clintons and were stunned to lose an election. People have been calling for Trump's impeachment since before he was inaugurated.

What Mueller and Congress and the press should be investigating is who killed Seth Rich.

lunatic fringe electronics

... so, statistics on hundreds of people? That's vague, hard to check. You're just making a stab in the dark.

Were? So this is about deceased persons in a large family? Sounds like a slur.

The Whitewater investigation didn't find anything else, though, did it? You're reaching, just like a tabloid editor for a clickbait lead-in.

How do you mean abusive? Did a press organization give an award?

Fables, snark and halftruths mixed with shocking accusations that go nowhere. You're reading too much clickbait fake news.

Reply to
whit3rd

I can't say I'm rooting for any "winner" in this Machiavellian slugfest, probably bad for me whatever happens. "Zathras have very sad life. Probably have very sad death. At least there is symmetry"

Reply to
bitrex

lol

Reply to