OT: Source for Squirrel Cage Blower

Bought the controlled power strip to turn on the fan behind the "hot" TV set, works great, but a 10" box fan is noisy even at the lowest speed.

Any pointers for where to buy a small, QUIET squirrel cage blower?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Refer to original posts... under kitchen cabinets, no circulation... box fan (on slow speed0 completely cools everything down, but blade "whine" is annoying.

...Jim Thompson

Rat Shack. A few years back, I did exactly the same thing for my entertainment center; just wired the fan into the switched outlet on the tuner. About 4" unit. IIRC, I ran at lower than rated voltage to keep the noise down.

Alternately, Fry's.

Richard

Reply to
Richard H.

I'll check that out. It's amazing to me how much effect just a little air flow can have on the temperature rise.

...Jim Thompson

I doubt a squirrel cage fan is the quietest solution. That type excels when you need considerable pressure rise across the fan. To just move air across a fairly open expanse, axial should be quieter.

How does this one compare to the one you have?

(~$14 from Digikey)

Reply to
John Popelish

C+H Surplus in Pasadena, CA may have what you're looking for:

All Electronics in Van Nuys, CA has a 12V squirrel fan (search for 'squirrel'):

TV's too hot? What type of shows are you watching?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Well, it looks like Rat Shack doesn't sell the model I bought before - it was about 4" square, with a side exhaust. This is similar, at Fry's:

Richard

Reply to
Richard H.

I use one of the fans like the one here

to cool my stereo cabinet. Runs very quiet, moves a lot of air for its size, and pretty low power. You might have to fashion a crude mounting fo it, and maybe a bit of ducting out of scrap plywood or paneling.

Cheers!!!!!

--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net  (Just subsitute the appropriate characters in

s.
Reply to
DaveM

"hot"

One point that I think no one has made is the noise in relation to the size of the fan. If you have to move a certain cu. ft. per min. of air, then the smaller the fan, the more revs per sec, and the noisier it's going to be. Trend is to get more in a smaller space, so small fans seem to be the trend. But if you have a decent sized cabinet, get a decent sized fan so that it can run lower RPMs, lower blade tip speed, and lower noise.

Some small fans are high volume, and very high noise level.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 12:30:55 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

E-bay search on "squirrel cage fans" got 15 hits of various sizes.

Reply to
NunYa Bidness

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 17:32:55 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Sure. Non moving air on hot surfaces doesn't allow the heat to radiate off the item as readily... but you knew that already.

What amazes me is how little flow is required.

I can still remember opening my coat in icy winter while running out to get the paper with no shirt on under. All it takes is a trickle... Brrrrr!

Reply to
NunYa Bidness

little

Fry's:

Check MPJA.com and All Electronics, they often have surplus stuff such as fans, etc.

Reply to
Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, th

Wouldn't a 120 mm fan work? The low power versions are pretty quiet.

OTOH TV sets usually are upruight, wich means that is there is enough space the chimney effect should do its work.

If you are lazy, buy from a 'silent PC outfitter' like

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

_Buy_? Taken a scrap laser printer apart lately?

Mark L. Fergerson

Reply to
Mark Fergerson

Who has a "scrap laser printer"? I keep 'em forever. When I upgrade, as I recently did to an hp1320, I hand 'em down to the kids/grandkids ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Try removing the grille and running the fan "naked." It could quiet down quite a bit.

Reply to
kell

Hello Jim,

How small? In the lab there is a fan we bought at Longs and the length of the squirrel cage in there looks like it is under 10". Very quiet. I am not sure if it can be scraped out of the housing though. There also are small space heaters with squirrel cage fans at places like ACE, HD or Lowes. Should be coming back onto the shelves pretty much now. Many of these can be operated "fan only".

If you mounted this onto a cabinet bottom or other wood surface some (or maybe the brunt) of the noise may be due to resonances. Try to lay it on small rubber buffers just for a noise test.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Jim. I always use a "muffin fan" if I want somethine quiet. Put one in a food dehydrater to replace a noisy 4 blade fan. Same airflow but hardly know it is running. Warren

Reply to
Warren Weber

How about using one (or a couple of) axial fans? They seem to be pretty quiet in PCs and I'm sure the squirrels will appreciate it. Why are your squirrels getting so hot anyway?

100 buckets of bits on the bus
100 buckets of bits
   You take one down,
   and short it to ground