OT: Snow

Two ski areas at Tahoe will open for the 4th of July. Maybe I'll ski at Sugar Bowl, just to say I did it.

There's so much snow in the Sierras that a hot spell would make a lot of trouble now.

John

Two ski areas at Tahoe will open for the 4th of July. Maybe I'll ski at Sugar Bowl, just to say I did it.

There's so much snow in the Sierras that a hot spell would make a lot of trouble now.

John

Maybe they can sell it to AlBore.

Reply to
krw

Must be that damn global warming schtuff again, hun?

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Local weather anomalies have little to do with global warming, or more=20 correctly, climate change. We on the east coast of the US have already=20 shattered several records for warm temperatures, and summer is not even = here=20 yet. The cause may or may not be caused by human activity, but the = efforts=20 to reduce excessive consumption of fossil fuels and CO2 and other = pollutants=20 are prudent in light of the very real phenomenon of peak oil and hidden=20 costs of other energy sources. We are "barreling" toward a global = economic=20 crisis much more rapidly than climatic disasters, but earthquakes and = severe=20 storms are also putting a strain on our resources. Those who choose to=20 dismiss this reality are either ignorant or apathetic. And that is what = the=20 government and big business want, because the truth may cause panic. But = the=20 longer we ignore this situation, the more severe the eventual collapse = will=20 be. But, hey, let's just eat, drink, and be merry with business as = usual.

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

Of course, how silly. If it gets warmer, that's Global Warming, but if it gets cooler, that's only "weather."

So, can you explain the exact mechanism whereby taxing the country into slavery to pour billions and billions of dollars into Al Gore's bank account is going to "fix" the climate?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

bank

Taxes won't be going into Al Gore's bank account, and even if they were, = I=20 think he'd make much better use of it than the oil companies. Why are = they=20 getting my tax dollars in the form of subsidies and depletion = allowances?=20 They'd make huge profits without them. And I also dislike having the=20 "business use of personal vehicle" mileage deduction continually = increased=20 because some businesses and their employees choose to use SUVs to haul = their=20 fat asses around.

Taxes are properly used to encourage people and businesses to seek more=20 efficient and less environmentally damaging practices. That is what the=20 overwhelming majority of people really want. Truly fair taxation would = not=20 be a burden to the 90% of the population with 10% of the wealth. It = would=20 just possibly add some cost to goods and services now inefficiently=20 transported thousands of miles, and too often from foreign countries, = and=20 help local economies.

It seems that every time the weather in a particular area is colder (or = even=20 just snowier) than average, the AGW deniers make a big deal about it, as = if=20 it is somehow proof that global warming does not exist. And of course = some=20 overzealous and undereducated greenies point to heat waves as proof of = its=20 reality. What really matters is the overall, average effect, and it = takes a=20 long time for it to be realized. There is so much thermal inertia in the =

earth and its atmosphere that the warming could continue for many years = even=20 if we cut our fossil fuel consumption in half today.

We really need to put a satellite in orbit that can analyze the earth's=20 albedo, which will give accurate data about the energy that is absorbed, =

reflected, and radiated.

About ten years ago a satellite was built and ready to be launched, with = the=20 ability to provide accurate albedo measurement. It was promoted by Al = Gore,=20 and as soon as they were judicially appointed to power, the Bush=20 administration quickly coerced NASA to cancel their plans and put it in=20 mothballs. True facts would have been detrimental to his and Cheney's=20 business buddies, who preferred "business as usual" and to hell with the =

environment and the future.

da,_2000

You're welcome.

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

There was no peer review of the satellite science in goreSat, that's why it didn't fly. GIGO

Martin Riddle

"NASA diligently peer reviewed the science added to the Triana mission."

There was a question about the use of dwindling funding for this = mission.=20 But I do not believe Bush/Cheney cared about the quality of the peer = review.=20 It was suppressed because it challenged the dogma of the administration. = Do=20 you have any credible cites to prove your point?

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

Do you?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

BINGO!

Reply to
Robert Baer

The Office of Inspector General isn't good enough for you?

How about these:

dress=3D389x1682389
html
tary-launch-market/
ew.php?id=3D18
ent

(7 MB)

Your turn...

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

Paul, The mileage deduction goes up, because the costs have gone up. It is accounting, pure and simple, not any sort of incentive. Same with depletion allowances. The subsidies are unnecessary, though!

Taxes are always a burden to 100% of the tax paying population, even the 30 to 50% who don't pay any income taxes!

You talk about adding 'some' costs, but those costs would be added to EVERYTHING and would especially be burdensome to those least able to afford it. Also, they would add more to domestic production, than they would to off shore production, an incentive we especially do not need right now!

Sounds similiar to a plan to add UV measurement instruments to all the weather stations, and record and co-ordinate all the existing UV measurement during the time of the ozone hole debate. Apparently, they were afraid that the results might not verify their doom and gloom predicitions, so they were eliminated. Same as this satellite. Why have data when you can shape public policy much better with theory and supposition!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.
[snip]

Taxes should be PROPERLY used to pay for necessary government services.... NOTHING ELSE.

Only the ugly mooching classes think that.

[snip]

Greenies always exaggerate to suit their own purposes...

They report, "Worst tornado ever".

Weather bureau and those with half a brain note, "Worst tornado since

1952". ...Jim Thompson

"Nobody is interested in solutions if they don't think there's a problem. Given that starting point, I believe it is appropriate to have an over-representation of factual presentations on how dangerous it is, as a predicate for opening up the audience to listen to what the solutions are, and how hopeful it is that we are going to solve this crisis."

=96Al Gore, interview with Grist magazine, May 9, 2006

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Yup :-( ...Jim Thompson

Yeah, both of them. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

[snip]

Paul, Are you truly that ignorant? The mileage allowance is set by IRS based on overall operating expenses of automobiles, and is NEVER as much as true operating cost for an ordinary vehicle let alone an SUV. ...Jim Thompson

mileage

I have a 1999 Saturn that I purchased in 2008 for $4200, and I expect it = to=20 last for 10 years. It gets, on average, about 35 MPG. I pay about = $800/year=20 insurance and tags, and perhaps as much as $400/year on maintenance and=20 repairs. If I drove 10,000 miles a year for business purposes, and paid=20 $4/gallon for gas, my actual cost would be $1000 fuel, $1200 fixed = costs,=20 and $420 depreciation, my cost per mile is about $0.26, but I can deduct =

$0.50 in 2010.

5

If a person or business chooses to buy and use a less efficient vehicle = they=20 should pass that cost along to their customers. That would make it = possible=20 for me to be more profitable, and if I needed a vehicle with more = carrying=20 capacity or other attribute, then again it should be passed on the the=20 recipient of those goods and services. I choose to purchase good used=20 vehicles and any additional repair and maintenance costs provide income = for=20 my local mechanic, rather than going to fat cats in Detroit or overseas.

My vehicle is quite comfortable and safe, and I can break any legal = speed=20 limit, so there is no downside to my choice. If someone wants more = luxury or=20 power for aggressive driving or bragging rights, they should not be=20 subsidized by those who prefer a more economical lifestyle.

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen