OT: Slowman Exposed...

OT: Slowman (and other lurkers here) Exposed...

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I think it's cool that they give an estimated reading time at the top of the page, I wonder what algorithm they use to calculate that

Reply to
matt

Sloman is not worth wasting time on. And lately, you aren't either.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Absolutely! Notice that he chose a Raghead author (sans rag). Thompson-out-of-touch-with-even-himself has gone to the other side. But, of course, he doesn't know it.

Reply to
John S

Author is a babbling bullshit artist

- thought he sounded familiar and saw he was one and the same who wrote this informationless drivel

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

I think your bigoted response was off the mark.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I thought the article was talking about *you*.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Ouch! That hurts. Well, at least you think. Maybe.

Reply to
John S

I almost named my noise simulation device "Larkin" because the original sketch looked like an asshole... but I decided NOTHING in my repertoire could be named such >:-}

BTW, Larkin fits the IYI mould. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I don't think I'm worthy of having one of Jim's Stealth Circuits [1] named for me.

[1] It's brilliant, it proves that he's a Master Circuit Designer, and he's not going to show it to us.

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson hasn't noticed that Nassim Nicholas Talib - an author I've got a lot of time for - has nailed him rather than m e.

I didn't get to be an electronic engineer by passing exams, but rather by d oing electronics as a necessary part of getting my Ph.D. project done.

I've seen the exam-only-qualified electronic engineer in action - making a classical two-transistor bistable that blew up both transistors by exceedin g their base-emitter break-down voltage, and I'm just as unenthusiastic abo ut them as Jim Thompson is. Happily, I'm not as ignorant about the rest of the world as Jim Thompson is.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Mr Taleb clearly explains that the IYI has no business experience in their area, that anyone with such experience is not an IYI because they would fail completely in business.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Many people think otherwise.

his informationless drivel

19

I quite liked it. I suspect that he could have put the argument better - my take is that the quants think that all market randomness is represented by a Gaussian distribution, while other distributions which look much the sam e for small and frequent variations for the mean have rather longer, better populated tails - but his take was more that small and frequent variations are one breed of cat, and that the less frequent and larger variations are driven by different processes that everybody is a lot less well-informed a bout.

He seems to have made quite a bit of money out of his particular insight, s o it might be unwise to dismiss it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Lebanese are not Arabs, they are predominantly of Phoenician genome, Phoenicians were not Arab.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Nobody is going to call Jim an intellectual. He does make noises that imply that he thinks of himself as some kind of intellectual, but he doesn't kno w enough to qualify, which is why he can think of himself as member of that group.

Being smarter than the people around you doesn't make you an intellectual, and knowing a lot more than most people doesn't do it either. James Arthur probably does know enough to be able qualify as an intellectual on archival content, but he doesn't understand what he knows well enough to make the c ut.

When he can misapprehend the detailed information at his command to claim t hat Ben Franklin was being anti-democrat rather than anti-monarchist when h e warned some woman at the Constitutional Convention that the choice for a republic required defending, you've got to realise that all that detailed i nformation is in there as propaganda fodder, rather than organised into any real understanding of what was going on.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

I'm no intellectual. I'm a circuit designer.

It's like John Kruk's great line and book title: "I ain't an athelete lady, I'm a baseball player."

lunatic fringe electronics
 Click to see the full signature

You prove you aren't any kind of intellectual every time you repost denialist propaganda. There's no need to repeat the obvious.

Within a rather generous interpretation of "design".

Not exactly. Good baseball players are athletes, and circuit design should be an intellectual activity. You claim to "design" circuits, but don't show enough of your work in progress to suggest that there's much design going on.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Spot-on, Jim. I remember watching the investment channel, CNBC, hosting a panel of 'pundits' discussing WTF had happened when the Brexit vote went totally against their expectations (and cost them and the hedge funds a fortune in bad bets). Initially it shook their confidence in their forecasting models, but sure enough wishful thinking prevailed (as it always does with this type of people) and they concluded that the markets had in fact got it right and it was the voters that had got it wrong! These are the same people that told us we'd be mired in recession by now (instead of enjoying modest, uninterrupted growth as we continue to do, just as if nothing had happened). The pronouncements of useless wasters like them aren't worth a shit.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Ad Hominem attacks, and the childish purposeful misspelling of names, indicate a lack of maturity as well as a paucity of intelligence and human decency. Such behavior would seem more applicable to members of "Duck Dynasty" and the many "deplorable" worshippers of Donald Trump and other "false gods".

When you consider that those "traditions" and "core values" include racism, sexism, bullying, genocide, violence, hatred, denialism, and idolatry, the policies and actions of Obama have been overwhelmingly progressive, positive, and successful to the extent that it was possible under the unprecedented obstructionism of right-wing extremists.

We need someone with "heart", having a long proven record of helping children and those who have been cruelly disadvantaged in society. We surely don't need someone whose ego is his driving principle, along with his mantra of "win at all costs".

Paul

Reply to
P E Schoen

Total words divided by typical reading rate, ~300 wpm?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett