OT: sick

I was intending to ski my ass off over the holidays, but got only two days before being whacked by the flu thing going around.

Coincidentally, I got a great book as a Christmas present, so had something to read:

The first hundred pages are not about the flu, but about the revolution in medical sciences that started in the 1800's.

It was creepy to read about the truly gory things that an influenza virus does to a cell, while that was happening inside me a few trillion times per hour.

Barry is an amazing researcher and writer. He wrote "Rising Tide", one of my favorite books, about the great Mississippi Rivers floods of

1927.

lunatic fringe electronics

fluenza

You don't need to worry about that one, it only kills people with a strong immune response, and you're past that age range.

Godammed morons were too busy waging a world war to pay serious attention t o the flu. Idiots didn't even know what the flu virus was, and it would be

20 years before they developed a vaccine. That would be Salk again who cont inued right up to the end developing a vaccine for HIV, that's quite a care er lifespan.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Woodrow Wilson went from a pacifist to a war-crazed facsist, but was always convinced that he was right. The book tells how insane war fever and political+military stupidity fueled the pandemic.

It was called "Spanish Flu" because the Spanish press were the first to note it. In the US and GB and France and Germany, the press weren't allowed to admit that thousands were dying; it would have been bad for morale.

lunatic fringe electronics

+influenza

If he's one of your favourite authors, it's taken you a long time to get to his book on the Spanish flu. It seems to have been first published it in 2

004, and I read it not long after that.

ng immune response, and you're past that age range.

n to the flu. Idiots didn't even know what the flu virus was, and it would be 20 years before they developed a vaccine. That would be Salk again who c ontinued right up to the end developing a vaccine for HIV, that's quite a c areer lifespan.

He certainly stopped being a pacifist, but there are intermediate states be tween "pacifist" and "war-crazed fascist" (note the spelling), and Woodrow Wilson never got anywhere near the "war-crazed fascist" end of the spectrum .

The Spanish flu killed a lot of people around the world (including one of m y wife's grandfathers). The business of shipping recruits through training and to the front did set up ideal conditions for the flu to propagate, but it's not clear that enough was known about what was going on for even the c leverest people to have been able to avoid that. Lots of things look stupid in hindsight that weren't anything like as obviously stupid at the time.

The censorship wasn't all that effective - lots of people dying gets notice d even if the newspapers aren't allowed to make a fuss about it.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

at+influenza

ne

to his book on the Spanish flu. It seems to have been first published it in 2004, and I read it not long after that.

rong immune response, and you're past that age range.

ion to the flu. Idiots didn't even know what the flu virus was, and it woul d be 20 years before they developed a vaccine. That would be Salk again who continued right up to the end developing a vaccine for HIV, that's quite a career lifespan.

between "pacifist" and "war-crazed fascist" (note the spelling), and Woodro w Wilson never got anywhere near the "war-crazed fascist" end of the spectr um.

ar

my wife's grandfathers). The business of shipping recruits through trainin g and to the front did set up ideal conditions for the flu to propagate, bu t it's not clear that enough was known about what was going on for even the cleverest people to have been able to avoid that. Lots of things look stup id in hindsight that weren't anything like as obviously stupid at the time.

ced even if the newspapers aren't allowed to make a fuss about it.

I'm not sure that idiot author knows what he's talking about. The public he alth authorities most certainly took emergency measures convincing local go vernments to put bans on any kind of gatherings and urging people to wear f ace masks and avoid contact with others as much as possible. I have one gra ndmother who lived through it in Boston at the time, told me about it over

40 years ago, before it was publicized to the extent is today. By her accou nts the measures were considered extreme at the time.

bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

two

reat+influenza

one

t to his book on the Spanish flu. It seems to have been first published it in 2004, and I read it not long after that.

strong immune response, and you're past that age range.

ntion to the flu. Idiots didn't even know what the flu virus was, and it wo uld be 20 years before they developed a vaccine. That would be Salk again w ho continued right up to the end developing a vaccine for HIV, that's quite a career lifespan.

s between "pacifist" and "war-crazed fascist" (note the spelling), and Wood row Wilson never got anywhere near the "war-crazed fascist" end of the spec trum.

war

of my wife's grandfathers). The business of shipping recruits through train ing and to the front did set up ideal conditions for the flu to propagate, but it's not clear that enough was known about what was going on for even t he cleverest people to have been able to avoid that. Lots of things look st upid in hindsight that weren't anything like as obviously stupid at the tim e.

ticed even if the newspapers aren't allowed to make a fuss about it.

The author didn't strike me as an idiot. John Larkin's understanding of wha t was being said may not have been entirely perfect. The initial ban on pub licising the flu epidemic - in order not to damage morale - was pretty stu pid, but also futile, since the flu killed quite enough people for the news to get around by word of mouth. The medical response is documented in the book, and quite a few of the medical people reacted perfectly sensibly, not that there was much that they could do beyond keeping the sick isolated so they infected as few other people as possible.

incing local governments to put bans on any kind of gatherings and urging p eople to wear face masks and avoid contact with others as much as possible. I have one grandmother who lived through it in Boston at the time, told me about it over 40 years ago, before it was publicized to the extent is toda y. By her accounts the measures were considered extreme at the time.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
bill.sloman

I am embarassed to admit that I didn't read Pride and Prejudice until over 170 years after it was published.

lunatic fringe electronics

Lol. Someone should diagnose him. I know what comes to my mind.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Whatever he's got, I sure hope I don't ever catch it.

lunatic fringe electronics

ditto

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

What Fred Bloggs seems to have is some kind of intelligent grasp of what is going on in the world. John Larkin doesn't, and every attempt to bring him anywhere near reality generates pronounced negative reactions.

John Larkin appears to be allergic to real world knowledge, and much prefers the comforting delusions offered to him by spin doctors.

His chances of "getting" anything worth knowing do seem to be remote.

He's not quite Jim-out-of-touch-with-reality-Thompson - swamp-bound Cajun and backwoods redneck aren't quite the same - but it is a minor difference.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

This stream of childish ad-hominem is almost all he posts. He seems to think that someone somewhere thinks it's somehow reality. If he dropped this and talked electronics instead he'd be worth talking with at times.

Cue some more dimwitted ad hominem directed at me.

Reply to
tabbypurr

ote:

g Tide", one

loods of

me to get to his book on the Spanish flu. It seems to have been first publi shed it in 2004, and I read it not long after that.

til

t is going on in the world. John Larkin doesn't, and every attempt to bring him anywhere near reality generates pronounced negative reactions.

efers the comforting delusions offered to him by spin doctors.

un and backwoods redneck aren't quite the same - but it is a minor differen ce.

ink that someone somewhere thinks it's somehow reality. If he dropped this and talked electronics instead he'd be worth talking with at times.

Tabb doesn't really qualify as human, so directing ad hominem abuse at him would be a total waste of time.

In fact "ad hominem" is a tactic used when arguing against a position, when you take you aim off the subject of the discussion to criticise the charac ter of the proponent of the position you don't like.

My criticisms of John Larkin are based on the fact that he can't construct logical arguments or adduce respectable data to support the - bizarre - pro positions that he endorses. The fact that he has to be a gullible sucker to take up the propositions in the first case is an incidental, but unavoidab le, feature of my case.

There's nothing all that much wrong with John Larkin's character - it's his unwillingness or incapacity to think seriously about the ideas he puts for ward that's the real problem.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Cue a filter and forget Slowman exists. ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

Both correct. Why was he ever unfiltered?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It's terrible, isn't it? I just about made the end of the first page before binning it.

Cursitor Doom

Yesterday I noticed my killfile had decided Sloman was now rehabilitated and let me see his posts again. Unfortunately, in the very first one I read he was slagging me (and you and some others) off in his trade mark fashion. So it's straight back in the sin bin for another 6 months for our incorrigible Mr. S!

Cursitor Doom

It was _you_ who responded to his diatribe. Cease responding and Slowman will cease to exist ...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

My second-favorite book. I read it about once a year.

lunatic fringe electronics

Life's so much simpler when you ignore the bits you don't like. Doesn't work for cancer, of course.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to